By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why a $299 ps3 could mean Game Over!

I was conducting one of my investigations, I was analysing the console war, software sales, consumer demand, brand power and consumer expectations. Whenever I conduct an investigation I was always recruit my 2 experts who work at Game. Both of them have great knowledge in the arena of gaming, and understand how to meet the needs of the consumer.

So we were having a discussion looking at current console sales, I suggested that the ps3 price cut would be announced later this week. We were generally discussing the 'effects' of this price cut. Its quite similar to the 'stimulus' package. The consumers/gamers need a boost of confidence in order to purchase the Playstation 3. With the Stimulus package/price cut set to hit the Playstation 3 later this week.

I informed my 2 experts that it was 'Game Over'. I explained that a $299 Ps3 could not be stopped, you may ask why so confident? Reason being there are a staggering 100m ps2 owners who have been waiting for this 'price drop'. They have been eagerly anticipating the price cut and with the 'Economy Climate' we are in a '$399' Ps3 is not feasible.

With Ps3 having been 'Outselling'  the Nintendo Wii for a few weeks now, the japanese consumers are finally embracing the 'HD' console. With the 'Price cut' later this week. I expect sales of 2m on weekly basis in America alone, I feel that those 'Ps2 gamers' will finally enter the 'HD arena'. If Europe sees a price cut by 100euros expect sales of 1m on a weekly basis. Now you may say these thing will never happen I say to you 'Yes we can'.

I expect the $299 Ps3 to be the market leader by December 2009. It will take its rightfull place among the ps1 and ps2.

This is a partial serious/joke thread.

Please discuss.

Around the Network

NOTE: I did not make this thread... No idea were the OP went..

Those 100mil PS2 owners either got or going to get different systems for there kids or are to busy worring about there Home's/Job's to worry about games at this point.

just saying..

Just want to throw this link in...

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

A ps3 at $299 would be gamer dreamand it would outsell everthing if it hit that price

sega4life said:

Those 100mil PS2 owners either got or going to get diffrent systems for there kids or are to busy worring about there Home's/Job's to worry about games at this point.

just saying..

Just want to throw this link in...

Valid point raised my friend.

manman6 said:

A ps3 at $299 would be gamer dreamand it would outsell everthing if it hit that price

I agree.

Around the Network

From what I can remember...

Whenever there are price cuts, (360/PS3/etc), theres always leaked images of the SKU and the new price a couple weeks before the price cut is announced...

My point? We haven't seen any leaked images of a sku or pictures of a price... so far its all been words.

Unless ive missed a picture somewhere?

And on the other side, all companies will deny a price cut until the day they cut the price...

well, it would definitely outsell the 360, but I seriously doubt anything Sony (or ms for that matter) do short of dropping the price to $100 or something will be enough to beat the Wii.

Not trying to be a fanboy. Of course, it's hard when you own the best console eve... dang it

It could mean "Game Over" for Sony, because it would drive them bankrupt.

They need to cut manufacturing costs before they can cut price.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

YEs, a $299 ps3 would be game over... but for sony. The losses would be so BIG, they will just go bankruptcy and it will be game over for them. =)

game over......for sony indeed. the ps3 has already wasted ALL OF THE PS2 PROFITS and even some of the ps1 $$.

Funny how sony chose greedy bluray self-interest over gamers, but the same sony defense force irrationally defends sony to the death.

Without the bluray fiasco disaster the ps3 woulda been $299 at launch