By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why a $299 ps3 could mean Game Over!

Since you say it's partly serious I'll reply seriously:

Reason being there are a staggering 100m ps2 owners who have been waiting for this 'price drop'.

Most PS2 owners that haven't switched yet are casual gamers that are more likely to go to Wii.

With Ps3 having been 'Outselling' the Nintendo Wii for a few weeks now, the japanese consumers are finally embracing the 'HD' console.

With three major releases (Yakuza 3, RE5 and Mosou) it's normal that the PS3 sees a boost. The Wii hasn't seen any important game since Animal Crossing. The Japanese aren't embracing the HD consoles at all. The sales numbers for PS3 are only good compared to Wii, which is completely failing there at the moment. Pure sales numbers (~30k weekly) are nothing special.

With the 'Price cut' later this week. I expect sales of 2m on weekly basis in America alone, I feel that those 'Ps2 gamers' will finally enter the 'HD arena'.

Yes. PS3 will sell more in a week than any console ever did in a non-holiday month...at a pricepoint that still more expensive than the competitors and with a library that at least doesn't outweigh its direct competitor.

A $100 pricecut will definitely help and adds pressure to Microsoft, but it will never be market leader. It's 30 million behind Wii, which is still selling at record level (as in: above PS2 levels). Even if PS3 started to outsell the Wii by 500k a month (which would mean annual shipments of ~35 million and is quite frankly absolutely impossible) it would take 60 months or 5 years to catch Wii.

And obviously the potential costumer base will increasingly be more casual, as the hardcore have already switched to a current gen system.

Around the Network

Hmm I was a PS2 owner but I bought an Xbox 360.

Not all the 100 million necessarily have 100 percent brand loyalty.

Cypher1980 said:
Hmm I was a PS2 owner but I bought an Xbox 360.

I did the Same. xD

PS3 should lower there price to $299 and add like 3 Good games, Like MGS4, (and MGS online already installed onto your system because I hate waiting for it to download. It takes like 2 - 3 hours.) Resistance 2, and Little Big Planet.

If they did this, I bet they would have a Huge improvement in sales. Also I would by a second PS3, and give it to my Bro. I would just Keep the games for myself. :D

The PS3 should be free, so I can sit and wonder why the Wii still sells more.

Tease.

A $299 PS3 would indeed mean Game Over: the losses would kill Sony dead long before it could establish dominance in the current market.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
The PS3 should be free, so I can sit and wonder why the Wii still sells more.

Lol. 

Truth of the matter is that Sony fanboys will never ever face reality.  I just wish Sony would comply with their wishful thinking so that they could be proved wrong and we could finally see an end to these threads.  Unfortunately, that would kill Sony and cause a mass loss of jobs so we just all have to put up with more and more of these threads.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

TheTruthProphet said:
game over......for sony indeed. the ps3 has already wasted ALL OF THE PS2 PROFITS and even some of the ps1 $$.

Funny how sony chose greedy bluray self-interest over gamers, but the same sony defense force irrationally defends sony to the death.

Without the bluray fiasco disaster the ps3 woulda been $299 at launch

Quick question. With out blu-ray, what could sony use to run games like MGS4?

Favorite films. Foreign films forever!

chris1_16 said:
TheTruthProphet said:
game over......for sony indeed. the ps3 has already wasted ALL OF THE PS2 PROFITS and even some of the ps1 $$.

Funny how sony chose greedy bluray self-interest over gamers, but the same sony defense force irrationally defends sony to the death.

I'm going with DVD's. I'm pretty sure they could fit all the important elements of the game on a DVD, y'know the story and the gameplay. The graphics, cinematics or audio would just have to take a slight hit. Or they could even use multiple DVDs and keep everything the same.

chris1_16 said:
TheTruthProphet said:

DVD...

Quick counter question: how much better would a DVD-PS3 of $350 at launch have sold?
Quick counter question 2: Do you think MGS4 would have sold worse if it was on 2 DVD's?

BengaBenga said:
chris1_16 said:
TheTruthProphet said:

DVD...

Quick counter question: how much better would a DVD-PS3 of $350 at launch have sold?
Quick counter question 2: Do you think MGS4 would have sold worse if it was on 2 DVD's?

Probably not, but I'm pretty sure we would have to use something else besides DVD eventually

But I do agree that if the PS3 didn't have blu-ray and was cheaper, it would've been Game Over....for the 360 and wii I meant:P

Favorite films. Foreign films forever!