By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why a $299 ps3 could mean Game Over!

@Benga The power of the Playstation will never be gone, granted we have lost many ps2 exclusives. But we have created many new Ip's e.g. Uncharted, Heavy rain, Heavenly Sword, Infamous etc. With games such as Killzone 2 and Mgs4 already being released both games are considered to be the 'greatest' in their Genre. With games such as God of war 3, Gt5 etc all on the horizon the playstation brand is getting stronger and stronger. The Playstation brand is and always will be the greatest brand in Gaming with Nintendo closely followed. :D youre welcome Benga.

Around the Network
D-FENS said:
Any price cut by Sony could be matched by both competitors. Nintendo has plenty of profitability to trim a bit if their staggering sales [outside Japan] ever slow down. Microsoft, by all accounts, is most likely profitable, breaking even at worst on the 360. They have both the cash reserves, and the stomach, to counter any price cut.

Sony is very badly positioned for a price war and they know it. What Sony fans need to worry about right now is MS turning the knife and dropping their price before Sony, forcing them to either lose more market share, or start taking big hardware loses again.

What that man said ^

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.
welshbloke said:
D-FENS said:
Any price cut by Sony could be matched by both competitors. Nintendo has plenty of profitability to trim a bit if their staggering sales [outside Japan] ever slow down. Microsoft, by all accounts, is most likely profitable, breaking even at worst on the 360. They have both the cash reserves, and the stomach, to counter any price cut.

Sony is very badly positioned for a price war and they know it. What Sony fans need to worry about right now is MS turning the knife and dropping their price before Sony, forcing them to either lose more market share, or start taking big hardware loses again.

What that man said ^

Nintendo would not need to respond to a Sony pricecut.  The MS price cut had no effect on Wii sales.  That race is over.

I would dispute that MS is breaking even on their hardware sales, but my evidence is probably as flimsy as yours.

The investor/employee tolerance for a price war within MS is probably pretty low.  Both groups want to see MS dump under performing divisions in an effort to become profitable.  The fact that the EDD has lost 20 billion dollars since 2005 has become something of a joke among Microsoft's employees.

Again, you seem to be confusing marketshare with success.  I believe that Sony would be better off finishing third this generation as a profitable businesss, than finishing second with continued losses.  Microsoft seems to have taken the other approach.  

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

A $299 PS3 is company suicide. Sony hasn't made a profit since the release of the console and they are slowly cutting down costs, but not so much as to cut the system's price by $100. So if Sony cut the PS3 to $299, it would be game over for them.

Snake2 said:
@Benga The power of the Playstation will never be gone, granted we have lost many ps2 exclusives. But we have created many new Ip's e.g. Uncharted, Heavy rain, Heavenly Sword, Infamous etc. With games such as Killzone 2 and Mgs4 already being released both games are considered to be the 'greatest' in their Genre. With games such as God of war 3, Gt5 etc all on the horizon the playstation brand is getting stronger and stronger. The Playstation brand is and always will be the greatest brand in Gaming with Nintendo closely followed. :D youre welcome Benga.

The same could of been said about nintendo 14 years ago. New IPs are great for the people who bought the system already. However only a select few becoming the Uber Halo type exclusive that sells a system by itself and even those don't sell 100 million systems.

The PS2 sold so much because of WoM and a plethoria of SW many of which were exclusive to the system but the majority of the Library was more similiar to the Wii's(as in casual fare) than it is to the PS3's and XBOX 360's.

Around the Network

A 299$ would be game over............for Sony.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Snake2 said:

I was conducting one of my investigations, I was analysing the console war, software sales, consumer demand, brand power and consumer expectations. Whenever I conduct an investigation I was always recruit my 2 experts who work at Game. Both of them have great knowledge in the arena of gaming, and understand how to meet the needs of the consumer.

So we were having a discussion looking at current console sales, I suggested that the ps3 price cut would be announced later this week. We were generally discussing the 'effects' of this price cut. Its quite similar to the 'stimulus' package. The consumers/gamers need a boost of confidence in order to purchase the Playstation 3. With the Stimulus package/price cut set to hit the Playstation 3 later this week.

I informed my 2 experts that it was 'Game Over'. I explained that a $299 Ps3 could not be stopped, you may ask why so confident? Reason being there are a staggering 100m ps2 owners who have been waiting for this 'price drop'. They have been eagerly anticipating the price cut and with the 'Economy Climate' we are in a '$399' Ps3 is not feasible.

With Ps3 having been 'Outselling'  the Nintendo Wii for a few weeks now, the japanese consumers are finally embracing the 'HD' console. With the 'Price cut' later this week. I expect sales of 2m on weekly basis in America alone, I feel that those 'Ps2 gamers' will finally enter the 'HD arena'. If Europe sees a price cut by 100euros expect sales of 1m on a weekly basis. Now you may say these thing will never happen I say to you 'Yes we can'.

I expect the $299 Ps3 to be the market leader by December 2009. It will take its rightfull place among the ps1 and ps2.

This is a partial serious/joke thread.

Please discuss.

This thread fails on nearly every level.  There are some major points I wil address.  

1) Those 100million PS2 owners have been purchasing consoles this entire generation already.  And the ones that had any brand loyalty will have already chosen their system by now.   The rest will more than likely be casual gamers and that means they probably have gotten a Wii already or soon will.

2) 2million in sales a week really is funny.  It wouldn't happen even if the PS3 was priced at $199.  I doubt even the holidays would change this.

3) Currently the PS3 is just scraping by, it isn't profitable in most of its divisions and a $100 price cut would possibly destroy the entire Company.  While I do feel Sony has some Dumbass higher ups, I don't think even they would allow this to happen.  Don't get me started on the Yen/Dollar conversions.

4) Some people forget Microsoft isn't going to simply roll over and accept this.   I am certain they would do something to enable the xbox360 to maintain its current position.   I don't know if it would be a price cut or a price cut and some sort of huge bundle.  But believe it, they would do whatever it takes.

I do think M$ has already accomplished more this gen than they thought they would.  It has all but sank the PS3's brand loyalty, and costed them hundreds of millions of dollars (billions possibly?).  I don't think this fight between M$ and Sony had anything to do with gaming, it was for the control of your living room.  And next gen is where things will get more interesting.  

"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."

Quote by- The Imortal John Wayne, the original BADASS!

Snake2 said:

No, just no. Sony's PlayStation brand is slowly diminishing. Most of the people I know don't own a PS3 or have heard any of the system's games, and that also goes for LBP. The people who own the PS3 already are the ones who will be purchasing those games when they release(d). Those games don't have the fun factor that everyone wants a piece at, and Nintendo swiped everything up that Sony believed that would carry over to the PS3.

Besides, Sony IPs aren't as universal as what Nintendo has. I'm sorry, but they are not icons in the gaming market. Sony never owned Crash, Spyro, Lara Croft, Snake, or FF. They ALWAYS depended on another developer to make the games for them. Nintendo did everything by scratch. Plus, let us not forget that Nintendo has made a profit every year since they were in the gaming market. Sony's strategy is a fool's game, as they shit a brickload of expensive hardware and plan on software sales to put them back into the black. That's the worst marketing strategy in history. I'm sorry, but that's just poor business ethics and this time around, it's biting Sony in the ass.

Snake2 said:

The fact that you cite yet to be released games shows just how far the Sony brand has fallen.

To the typical consumer, aka tha casual, aka the people who pushed the PS1 and PS2 over 100mil, Wii is the only brand they care about this gen.

Also, I can't be the only one who finds the proposition of this thread ridiculous. 300 is where the PS1 and 2 LAUNCHED at, then they did the majority of their sales after it dropped to 200 and below.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Sony is doing the right thing now by focusing on profitability and with this strategy they are still selling a decent number of consoles. On the other hand if they were to drop the price just $50 they could have a decent sized increase in hardware sales. This minor price cut could let more people pull the trigger to buy the console. These added sales would also allow them to be more open for more game sales. And we all know that the majority of the profit comes from game sales. I believe that a minor cut like this could actually make Sony more profit than at its current price. As for the $299 price, that price is way too low for Sony to go right now. The added software sales would not offset the lose on the console sales. I do believe that if we were not in this global recession that Sony would be more inclined to drop the price to this level as more people would spend the money on tons of games for it.

Get your Portable ID!

End of 2009 sales predictions:

PS3 - 33 Million     360 - 40 Million    Wii - 75 Million