By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why a $299 ps3 could mean Game Over!

Crazzyman is that you??? :'(

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection

Around the Network

^His English was too good, and there were no "=)))))))))))))))))))))))))))"s

Don't worry, Crazzy gets unbanned in four days.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

bardicverse said:
Megadude said:
bardicverse said:
PS3 doesnt cater to the casual market, so they wont be able to overtake Wii sales. That said, a PS3 around 250-300 would do phenomenally with the HDTV owners, if not only for a cheap Blu Ray player.

The issue at the forefront of the matter is the developers that have distanced themselves from PS3 development. Even if the PS3 became the behemoth seller, it would still take those devs to commit to developing for the PS3, which would take 2-3 years. In other words, the developer shift wouldn't hold impact until 2012, which is an agreeable timeframe for the next gen systems to come around.

And what will a next gen Wii look like? A PS3 with a wagglemote at best.

The PS3 drop will simply have the PS3 outselling the 360 by30 to 100k weekly on average. Wii sales will remain the same.

Next gen Wii will look like the PS4 and the XB720. They're all implementing "wagglemotes". Kiss your traditional controllers goodbye and sell them to the Smithsonian. Next gen, they will become relics. All 3 consoles will be multicore systems with a strong gpu for HD 1020+ graphics, and possibly even adding in the PPU (Physics Processing Unit aka physx -ageia), wireless N networking, possibly ditching an ethernet port, and each one will have some sort of large scale (100GB +) storage solution.

Of course, the price drop is all speculation. Sony really cant afford to take a bigger hit to their gaming division. It really depends what their goal is - to lick it wounds and stop bleeding cash, or to be the most popular, at the expense of crashing their gaming division into the ground financially.

This unrelated to the thread, but since we're speculating...

The Next Gen consoles won't even do their own processing, all of it will be done via cloud computing offsite.  The winner will be dependent on entirely on interface, exclusives, and who's out first (sounds kind of like this generation--except for the whole cloud computing part).

That is such a huge, ridiculous generalization -

I was one of the 100 million PS2 onwers - I own a Wii now and couldn't be happier with it.

I have ZERO intention of ever buying a PS3, regardless of the price - I just don't play enough video games to justify owning multiple consoles.

I am NOT alone in this situation - An NDP survey article that came out last year had an interesting statistic. Over 90% of video game playing households would only own 1 console per generation. So thinking that there are 100+ million people who are just waiting for the right price to buy a PS3 a huge overestimation in my opinion.

polezo - the only issue I have with your theory of cloud computing, much like that OnLive service, is that not everyone has high end broadband. Until fiberoptic connections are dominant to homes, these services might not be the top notch for delivering remote processing power. However, downloading locally (digital distribution) will likely be a way of life.

Around the Network
radha said:
Crazzyman is that you??? :'(

Its a megaman2 alt

the ps3 is already game over at 399$

BengaBenga said:
Since you say it's partly serious I'll reply seriously:

Reason being there are a staggering 100m ps2 owners who have been waiting for this 'price drop'.

Most PS2 owners that haven't switched yet are casual gamers that are more likely to go to Wii.

With Ps3 having been 'Outselling' the Nintendo Wii for a few weeks now, the japanese consumers are finally embracing the 'HD' console.

With three major releases (Yakuza 3, RE5 and Mosou) it's normal that the PS3 sees a boost. The Wii hasn't seen any important game since Animal Crossing. The Japanese aren't embracing the HD consoles at all. The sales numbers for PS3 are only good compared to Wii, which is completely failing there at the moment. Pure sales numbers (~30k weekly) are nothing special.

With the 'Price cut' later this week. I expect sales of 2m on weekly basis in America alone, I feel that those 'Ps2 gamers' will finally enter the 'HD arena'.

Yes. PS3 will sell more in a week than any console ever did in a non-holiday month...at a pricepoint that still more expensive than the competitors and with a library that at least doesn't outweigh its direct competitor.

A $100 pricecut will definitely help and adds pressure to Microsoft, but it will never be market leader. It's 30 million behind Wii, which is still selling at record level (as in: above PS2 levels). Even if PS3 started to outsell the Wii by 500k a month (which would mean annual shipments of ~35 million and is quite frankly absolutely impossible) it would take 60 months or 5 years to catch Wii.

And obviously the potential costumer base will increasingly be more casual, as the hardcore have already switched to a current gen system.

Thank you for such a great analysis Benga, but please do not underestimate the brand power of the 'Playstation'.

The PS3 doesn't need a price cut.  They are correctly focusing on profitability.  They are losing marketshare to the 360, but at what cost?  They haven't lost any games or developers?  They have the best 2009 announced lineup.  If you look at the comparison below, you will see that the PS3 is only 150k units lower this year than last year, and they moved more units in 2009 than the 360 did in 2008.  The PS3 is twice the price of the 360 and only sold 500k less units so far in 2009.  If the PS3 is able to continue this performance in 2009, I doubt we will see a pricecut at all.

VGChartz Hardware data for the period 03rd Jan 2009 to 21st Mar 2009:

Console PS3 X360
Total

VGChartz Hardware data for the period 05th Jan 2008 to 22nd Mar 2008:

Console PS3 X360
Total

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

@snake

The power of PlayStation is mainly gone.

That's because the power of PlayStation used to be exclusives. Loads of exclusives. In all genres.

Final Fantasy, GTA, Monster Hunter, Devil May Cry, Dragon Quest, Tekken, Virtua Fighter, Star Ocean, Soul Calibur, Silent Hill, Ace Combat....

All were (timed or partially) exclusives last gen. The PlayStation brand is obviously still there, but the gen so far already proved it's not that important and can't compete with a cheaper 360. A 360 that will likely always be cheaper and has a library at least equal to PS3's.