By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best system for JRPGs: SNES or PSX?

SNES hands down.

Ogre Battle
Tactics Ogre
Final Fantasy IV, V, VI
Chrono Trigger
Terranigma
Lufia series
Dragon Quest VI
etc.etc.

I could go on for days.

Around the Network

I'd say the SNES slightly edges out the PS1. Both were amazing RPG consoles.

With Final Fantasy Tactics included, I'm not sure I'd prefer one list over the other.

PS1 easily for me.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

johnsobas said:
superbeast1370 said:
ShadowSoldier said:
PS2 it just trumps everything

^This. but since he said SNES vs PSone....I'm gonna say PSone. PSone had waaayayyy more RPGs than SNES. this is when RPGs became popular in the West and New IPs were made.

i don't agree with this at all and i don't think many will, although it is just an opinion.  I don't think even 1 PS2 RPG would make it in my top 10 between the 3 consoles.

about the SNES ports to the PS1, they were all better on SNES.  I bought FF6 on PS1, but the load times made the game worse.  A couple FMVs do not make up for it at all.  My favorite RPG of all time is suikoden 2, but between earthbound, FF6, Secret of Mana, chrono trigger, and Mario RPG I liked the top RPGs on SNES better than the top ones on PS1 (even though it's close).  Like i said though the PS1 had much more depth, i played many more RPGs on PS1, there was just more available.

huh? not even FFX, (any) Disgaea, (any) Persona, Xenosaga, Shadow Hearts, Grandia III, Valkyrie Profile 2, Star Ocean? did you play them? do you even have a PS2? and about the SNES ports. of course they're better on the SNES they were made for the SNES hardware. what do you think? and I didn't mind the load times on the PSone. the only SNES RPGs that would make it in to my top 10 would be FFIV, FFVI, and Chrono Trigger. but like you said everyone has their opinion.

Tough call but I'm going with the PS1. It has Vagrant Story and Suikoden.

Around the Network
superbeast1370 said:
johnsobas said:
superbeast1370 said:
ShadowSoldier said:
PS2 it just trumps everything

^This. but since he said SNES vs PSone....I'm gonna say PSone. PSone had waaayayyy more RPGs than SNES. this is when RPGs became popular in the West and New IPs were made.

i don't agree with this at all and i don't think many will, although it is just an opinion.  I don't think even 1 PS2 RPG would make it in my top 10 between the 3 consoles.

about the SNES ports to the PS1, they were all better on SNES.  I bought FF6 on PS1, but the load times made the game worse.  A couple FMVs do not make up for it at all.  My favorite RPG of all time is suikoden 2, but between earthbound, FF6, Secret of Mana, chrono trigger, and Mario RPG I liked the top RPGs on SNES better than the top ones on PS1 (even though it's close).  Like i said though the PS1 had much more depth, i played many more RPGs on PS1, there was just more available.

huh? not even FFX, (any) Disgaea, (any) Persona, Xenosaga, Shadow Hearts, Grandia III, Valkyrie Profile 2, Star Ocean? did you play them? do you even have a PS2? and about the SNES ports. of course they're better on the SNES they were made for the SNES hardware. what do you think? and I didn't mind the load times on the PSone. the only SNES RPGs that would make it in to my top 10 would be FFIV, FFVI, and Chrono Trigger. but like you said everyone has their opinion.

Sorry but all of those PS2 games are just sequels of better games on PS1 or SNES with a couple exceptions.

About the ports, are we supposed to expect next gen ports of previous gen games to be worse?  That's insane.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

PSone, SNES had some great RPGs, but they were expensive and much fewer, while the PSone was nearly drowning in rpgs.

pearljammer said:
I'd say the SNES slightly edges out the PS1. Both were amazing RPG consoles.

With Final Fantasy Tactics included, I'm not sure I'd prefer one list over the other.

FFT was great but to borrowed just about everything for Tactics Ogre. Tactics Ogre was a better game too IMO.

griffinA said:

So which one is better?

Rule 1: Action RPGs are included but no strategy RPGs.

SNES:

Final Fantasy 4-6

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

Chrono Trigger

Secret of Mana

Terranigma

Breath of Fire 1-2

Lufia series

Earthbound

7th Saga

Illusion Of Gaia

Dragon Quest V, VI

Star Ocean

Romancing SaGa

PSX:

Final Fantasy 7-9

Vagrant Story

Lunars

Chrono Cross

Xenogears

Legend of Dragoon

Suikoden

Breath of Fire 3-4

Tales of Destiny

Grandia

Valkyrie Profile

Parasite Eve

Star Ocean: The Second Story

Dragon Quest VII

Upgraded

PS1:
Parasite Eve 1,2
Persona 1,2,2.5
Legend of Legia
Koudelka

and many many more u forgot to mention

Vote to Localize — SEGA and Konami Polls

Vote Today To Help Get A Konami & SEGA Game Localized.This Will Only Work If Lots Of People Vote.

Click on the Image to Head to the Voting Page (A vote for Yakuza is a vote to save gaming)