By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best system for JRPGs: SNES or PSX?

PS2 it had all the titles from the list of PSX games and a lot of it's own ones :D

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Around the Network
Dream1 said:
griffinA said:

So which one is better?

Rule 1: Action RPGs are included but no strategy RPGs.

SNES:

Final Fantasy 4-6

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

Chrono Trigger

Secret of Mana

Terranigma

Breath of Fire 1-2

Lufia series

Earthbound

7th Saga

Illusion Of Gaia

PSX:

Final Fantasy 7-9

Vagrant Story

Lunars

Chrono Cross

Xenogears

Legend of Dragoon

Suikoden

Breath of Fire 3-4

Tales of Destiny

Grandia

Valkyrie Profile

or X360?

Infinite Underscovery

The Last Remnant

Star Ocean IV

Tales of Vesperia

Lost Odyssey

Blue Dragon

Final Fantasy XIII

it's only begins....

Vesperia is the only one that can be compared to the great rpgs of the PS1 era.Didn't play Star Ocean yet though. 

The Anarchyz said:

i know i don't mention FF8 or 7 because i know those ones are the reason you say "sellout"... but what about Xenogears, Parasite Eve, Final Fantasy Tactics, Chrono Cross or SaGa Frontier???

Well, those are all games that just don't interest me as much. Xenogears I've not played much of, but it felt rather clunky to me, with the focus on early maps looking nice more than actually being visually usable to the player. Some of the jumps were annoying to see in that game.

Parasite Eve was a decent game; I don't have any major qualms with it, but it was only that- decent. Am I glad I played it? Yes. But would I give up any of the SNES games for it? Probably not.

Tactics has an entirely broken system. The percentage calculation was laughable at best, and it was rather unbalanced toward getting abilities. By the time you had enough points to get one ability, every enemy in the game suddenly had it. And that trend continued until I lost interest in the game entirely, as the story was mediocre, and it really felt like it was becoming ad nauseam. The PS1 had better SRPGs than Tactics; I found the Saiyuki game was better. But when compared to Fire Emblem...

Chrono Cross... sorry, that's a definite no. To me, that game was a slap in the face to all the Chrono Trigger fans. There is no way I will go back to that game.

And SaGa Frontier... again, decent, but I'd much rather play the SaGa games from the SFC. They were just as deep.

-dunno001

-On a quest for the truly perfect game; I don't think it exists...