By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best system for JRPGs: SNES or PSX?

pearljammer said:
Kasz216 said:
Darc Requiem said:
pearljammer said:
I'd say the SNES slightly edges out the PS1. Both were amazing RPG consoles.

With Final Fantasy Tactics included, I'm not sure I'd prefer one list over the other.

FFT was great but to borrowed just about everything for Tactics Ogre. Tactics Ogre was a better game too IMO.

I agree.  Funny thing is i'm pretty sure Matsuno does too.  FFT was once desribed by him as "dumbed down" for a wider audience when it came to the story.

Which FFT was still pretty complicated politics wise.

But then again it doesn't give you as many philosophical questions as TO does and doesn't force you to deal with as serious issues.

The bad guys and what is right and wrong is more black and white.

The only complaints i really here about TO are

1. It's too hard.

2.  Vice.

To which I say two things

1. It's too hard.  It is very challenging at times.

If you feel it's too hard train.  Hell you don't even have to do it yourself you can set up two teams set it on auto and go do something else while you level up.

2. Vice his choice being based on the main characters choice sounds off until you realize his motivation is to put himself to where he can't be abused, and he feels that will be impossible if always shadowed by the main character.

You've both gotten me wanting to play Tactics Ogre. I haven't played any from the series before, which should I start at? Does it matter? Or is the story sequential?

there is a tactics ogre game for the GBA if you have one, its a lot less rare than the ps1 game

Around the Network

PS1

Who could forget the greatest rpg of all time Xenogears

Imo ps1.

snes of course

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!

bet with *no one yet* that the combined first week of Monster Hunter 3 in america and europe will be 600k or more! winner changes looser sig and avatar for two months!

Around the Network

where is Final Fantasy tactics on this list ??? and what about the Parasite Eve's ??? too of the best rpgs Square ever made ! and where are the Dragon quests on the 2 lists ???

The Snes has 2 wild cards: chrono trigger and FF6 (2 of the best games on everyones list), but they both were rereleased on the Ps1

But the Ps1 has : FF7-8-9 (all classics) + FFT + Chrono cross + Dragon quest 7+ Xenogears + Vagrant story + FF6 & Chroni trigger (rereleased)

So Ps1 wins in my point of view

Currently Playing: Final Fantasy XIII (PS3), White Knight Chronicles (PS3), PES 2010 (PS3), Killzone 2 (PS3)

Games to Finish: Silent hill Homecoming (PS3), Valkyria Chronicles (PS3), Oblivion (PS3)

Having owned most of the games listed here I vote for the SNES as those games were more groundbreaking for their time. The SNES was the original RPG system and those old school games were awesome. The PS1 was great too, but it used the SNES as a guide to become good...

"If you don't like me, bite me!"

PSX, the increased storage capacity (cart. vs. CD) allowed for greatly increased cut-scenes and text resulting in longer, deeper, storylines.

SNES and its not even close

Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 4 and 6, Secret of Evermore and Mana, Mario rpg and many other games with no load times are better than anything the ps1 had to offer.
only rpgs I really enjoyed on the ps1 were Final Fantasy 9, Valkyrie Profile, and Chrono Cross. Final Fantasy 7 was decent.

PSX and it's not even close.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler