By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best system for JRPGs: SNES or PSX?

jonnhytesta said:
Procrastinato said:

PSX had a lot more than you listed. It wins by a mile, I think. SNES really put down roots for the PSX RPGs, but the PSX's RPGs were the flowering tree, as it were.

Additionally, a fair number of the SNES RPGs you have listed are available as enhanced-version collections on the PSX. Not really a fair contest in that regard.

this. and he forgot ff8 and suikoden 2.

He included FF8, but forgot, other than Suikoden 2 and Tales of Destiny 2 (Eternia)... Legacy of Legaia, Alundra 1 & 2, those King's Field games (which I hated, but some people loved them), and at least a few others I can't recall off the top of my head.

Around the Network

ps1

Also the drunken sheep is otherwise correct.

I am just generally blinded by my love for EarthBound.

i'm not really sure, I do know for sure that the games that had sequels from SNES to PS1 were all better on SNES to me. PS1 had more RPGs and overall might be better, but i think at the top the SNES has the best to offer.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

ShadowSoldier said:
PS2 it just trumps everything

^This. but since he said SNES vs PSone....I'm gonna say PSone. PSone had waaayayyy more RPGs than SNES. this is when RPGs became popular in the West and New IPs were made.

Around the Network

Kasz216 said:

It really depends on if you count PS ports from the SNES, SRPGs and whether or not you hold much against it that somehow the PS ports of the SNES RPGS are inferior.

Yeah, PS1 if you count ports.

Otherwise, there are 5 out of this word RPGs on that list and FF7 is the only one on the PS1.  I say SNES, by a mile.

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

superbeast1370 said:
ShadowSoldier said:
PS2 it just trumps everything

^This. but since he said SNES vs PSone....I'm gonna say PSone. PSone had waaayayyy more RPGs than SNES. this is when RPGs became popular in the West and New IPs were made.

i don't agree with this at all and i don't think many will, although it is just an opinion.  I don't think even 1 PS2 RPG would make it in my top 10 between the 3 consoles.

about the SNES ports to the PS1, they were all better on SNES.  I bought FF6 on PS1, but the load times made the game worse.  A couple FMVs do not make up for it at all.  My favorite RPG of all time is suikoden 2, but between earthbound, FF6, Secret of Mana, chrono trigger, and Mario RPG I liked the top RPGs on SNES better than the top ones on PS1 (even though it's close).  Like i said though the PS1 had much more depth, i played many more RPGs on PS1, there was just more available.

Hm. It IS true that the SNES RPGs ported to the Playstation magically started to suck once pressed onto a disc. Very peculiar!

nobody said they sucked, they are the same game just with some annoying load times, slightly screwed up music and some new FMVs (some of them were horrid though **cough** FF4)