By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - IGN reviews Empire: Total War - 9.5

http://pc.ign.com/articles/957/957883p1.html

Closing Comments
Empire: Total War is a masterful combination of all the things that I love about strategy games -- a great setting, a first-rate presentation, tactics that reward maneuver, and a strategic layer that requires flexibility in your plans. The 18th century is a perfect setting for the game design, and the new naval battles, while a tad clunky, finally deliver the series' one missing component. The new strategic options are nicely balanced by increased convenience and legibility across the map. True, the end game still drags a bit and there are some small, rough edges in the tactical battles, particularly at sea, but none of those errors compromise the incredible amount of fun you'll have developing your infrastructure, forging alliances and leading your forces into battle.

Ultimately, Empire Total War maintains the excellent fusion of thoughtful turn-based empire building and dramatic tactical action that the series is known for, and it layers many new features on those foundations to reach awesome new heights. I've never given a score this high before, but that's only because I've never played a game as thoroughly enjoyable as Empire Total War.

Simply put, if you're a fan of strategy games, this is one game you must have in your collection.

IGN Ratings for Empire: Total War (PC)
Rating Description
out of 10 click here for ratings guide
9.5 Presentation
A perfect combination of game design and setting. Adds more complexity but not more complications.
9.0 Graphics
The battles are thrilling, with lots of intense action and realistic effects. A beautiful and lively campaign map.
9.0 Sound
The sounds of combat really bring the action to life, and a great score adds a lot to the mood.
9.5 Gameplay
Battles are full of variety and interesting tactical choices. The campaign map includes many strategic delights.
10 Lasting Appeal
Each nation in the grand campaign has a unique starting situation, so there's lots of opportunity to play again. The Road to Independence campaign is a nice addition.
Incredible
OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

Excellent score, sucks that the Total War are too complicated for me, I love managing the map part, but I can't tolerate the battles, if not I'd give the game a try, Medieval was a very good (though incredibly difficult) game

--------------

EDIT: Gamespot review

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/empiretotalwar/review.html

Empire: Total War Review

This strategy sequel is incredibly deep, broad, addictive--and a bit rough around the edges.

The Good

• Impressive and ambitious historical scope  
  • A huge amount of content, online and off  
  • Both land and naval battles are fun to play and fun to watch  
  • Addictive gameplay will keep you glued to the monitor.

The Bad

• An array of artificial intelligence issues  
  • Numerous bugs and performance hitches.

Around the Network

Does the game come with a complete map editor? No PC strategy game can be a 10 in Lasting Appeal unless it is a complete map editor so that you are allowed to create worlds and campaigns.

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

I'd love to get this but my computer only just managed with Medieval II, sure needs an upgrade.

Looking good, Empire! I've been playing some Medieval II these past few days in anticipation of this one.

FreeTalkLive said:

Does the game come with a complete map editor? No PC strategy game can be a 10 in Lasting Appeal unless it is a complete map editor so that you are allowed to create worlds and campaigns.

I'm not sure how would you create a map since the Earth shape is one and only, you can't alter it. I think you'd be able to create maps for the battles, though, not sure on that.

Around the Network

Sigh. It's games like this that make me wish I could afford a good gaming PC.
Maybe one day.

Looks good, but It's not my type of game I'd like to play.

Played some battles in Medieval 2, but got bored pretty quickly.

it sucks that my computer won't probably be able to handle this game. It looks so good...

Tag (Courtesy of Fkusumot) "If I'm posting in this thread then it's probally a spam thread."                               

the cool thing about the game is you don't have to fight the battles, i only fight a few of them and its still a blast.

Asriel said:
Sigh. It's games like this that make me wish I could afford a good gaming PC.
Maybe one day.

Play previous games of the series. They are terrific and will run fine in your PC. 

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).