By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Bioshock widescreen issue

Astrodust said:

Get a clue. lmao. Go to the 2K forums and explain it to them. So FOV is exactly the same yet the 4:3 ratio gets the expanded view of the top and bot??? Think before you speak please. Just look at the image Gebx put up and tell me which TV is seeing more.

This is like talking to a brick wall. Look at the images again. The 4:3 is showing too much of the ceiling and floor. The aspect ratio is warped near the ends of the screen.

It appears that Irrational intended for the game to be viewed in widescreen, not 4:3. The aspect THEY want you to see is what you get from widescreen and 4:3 is warped, not the other way around.

But, if you want to continue arguing with me about it, go for it. I've played the game for about 6 hours now and I've actually seen it in both 4:3 and widescreen.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network

Astrodust said:

Get a clue. lmao. Go to the 2K forums and explain it to them. So FOV is exactly the same yet the 4:3 ratio gets the expanded view of the top and bot??? Think before you speak please. Just look at the image Gebx put up and tell me which TV is seeing more.

If the FOV is set to 110 (which is for 16:9) and 110 for 4:3, 4:3 WILL have more vertical view, but the sides will be warped. However, the correct FOV for 4:3 is 90, which if that was set correctly, then it would be missing the sides rather than having more vertial resolution.

If you wanted the 16:9 to look like the 4:3 then they'd need to set the FOV to around 130, which would then screw up the edges. 

The issue is that:

- in 4:3 you see 100% horizontally and 100% vertically

- in 16:9 you see 100% horizontally and about 85% vertically

How is this not an issue?

If the aspect ratio and FOV were correct in widescreen, it should not look like you are viewing the game from inside a knight's helmet.

I don't know why Gamespot said their is some freezing issue, I have almost finished the game and I never seen any issue.

Gamertag : Dark Red Icarus  

Gamerscore : 29000!!!! still growing

PSN ID : Gamer9851

Now Playing : Soul Calibur 4 and World of Warcraft

your mother said:

The issue is that:

If the aspect ratio and FOV were correct in widescreen, it should not look like you are viewing the game from inside a knight's helmet.

One small problem: humans don't actually view in 100% square. They actually view in roughly a 16:9 ratio, give or take. After all, that's why they created that aspect ratio for movies in the first place...

And the game looks nothing like "viewing from a knight's helmet". It's actually quite appropriate for this sort of game. If it was Halo, yeah, I might want it stretched vertically a bit, but Halo is more of a vertical game. BioShock is not vertical whatsoever.

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
your mother said:

The issue is that:

One small problem: humans don't actually view in 100% square. They actually view in roughly a 16:9 ratio, give or take. After all, that's why they created that aspect ratio for movies in the first place...

And the game looks nothing like "viewing from a knight's helmet". It's actually quite appropriate for this sort of game. If it was Halo, yeah, I might want it stretched vertically a bit, but Halo is more of a vertical game. BioShock is not vertical whatsoever.

After reading the widescreen gaming forums and seeing many more screen shots the problem definitely is that the widescreen view is 'cropped' (ie, the FOV is way to low). What your mother said is right in this case, if you consider 4:3 to be h:v 100:100, then the bioshock 16:9 is actually 100:85. Really it should be about 120:100ish.

The impression they have over on those forums is that the FOV is around 75. As I said before, 16:9 should be nominally be around 110 and 16:10 should be around 100.

You guys are entitled to your own opinions but after playing halfway through the game in widescreen and testing it in 4:3, it's really a non-issue.

Breaking news: 99% of gamers are completely f*cking retarded. Is anyone *really* shocked by that?

DKII said it best:
"And why are those reactions surprising? We get plenty of fanboy explosions here over nothing all the time. ;> It's the stupid ultra-hardcore minority that everyone supposedly wants to cater to but is still never happy with anything."

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

rocketpig said:
You guys are entitled to your own opinions but after playing halfway through the game in widescreen and testing it in 4:3, it's really a non-issue.

I think how Irrational deals with this will determine whether they feel if this is an issue or not. They do need to address their fanbase though. If this is really a non-issue they will leave the game as it is. If they tweak the PC version and then change the console version, then the game was not how it was intended. I am not saying the game isn't great the way it is but there is a standard that widescreen TV owners expect.

do you guys even own a 360 ???? you get your games patched by request autmatically as soon the patch is released on the XBL.... a pb like that should take them like 30min to make a patch... then send it to MS which put it on the live... if they want to correct it... it should be out by the end of next week....WAOW I gonna cancel the game until it's patched... what a bunch of morons.... they don't even deserve to have a console and should get life