By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Bioshock widescreen issue

sieanr said:
Give me a break...

This game was designed to be widescreen from the outset, and its FOV is set accordingly. In actuality, the 4:3 setting just displays a bit more on the top and bottom, but outisde of that its the "exact" same as 16:9.

Just to make sure none of you miss this, I'll repeat it; The game was designed for widescreen, and its the 4:3 mode thats "half-assed"

But hey, if you wan't to miss the best game released in ages over a silly widescreen non-issue, go ahead.

You are right (it's late so obvious stuff becomes less obvious). If the FOV is set to 110 for widescreen AND it is 110 for 4:3, you still get more vertically on 4:3, but the lens isn't as 'natural'.

Around the Network
sieanr said:
Give me a break...

This game was designed to be widescreen from the outset, and its FOV is set accordingly. In actuality, the 4:3 setting just displays a bit more on the top and bottom, but outisde of that its the "exact" same as 16:9.

Just to make sure none of you miss this, I'll repeat it; The game was designed for widescreen, and its the 4:3 mode thats "half-assed"

But hey, if you wan't to miss the best game released in ages over a silly widescreen non-issue, go ahead.

I think people haven't totally written off this game just yet. They are taking the wait and see approach. It's not like this problem can't be fixed a few weeks. Would you rather play the zoomed in version or the patched version if you had a widescreen TV if it meant just waiting a little bit.

Astrodust said:
sieanr said:
Give me a break...

I think people haven't totally written off this game just yet. They are taking the wait and see approach. It's not like this problem can't be fixed a few weeks. Would you rather play the zoomed in version or the patched version if you had a widescreen TV if it meant just waiting a little bit.

Did you read what he said and looked at the screens? It's the 4:3 version that has the screwed up camera lens, not the 16:9/16:10 versions. You can tell by the screenie that the camera is slightly wide-angled at the top and bottom in 4:3.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

I can't get over how much people are bashing 2k Boston in the forums over this. An amazing game and some people are calling them "2K Noobs", "stupid idiot game makers", "unforgivable", "the game should be recalled", etc... Lots of extremely angry people :(

Yeah, I think some people are way over reacting. Saying "So much for GotY". Whatever

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
Astrodust said:
sieanr said:
Give me a break...

Did you read what he said and looked at the screens? It's the 4:3 version that has the screwed up camera lens, not the 16:9/16:10 versions. You can tell by the screenie that the camera is slightly wide-angled at the top and bottom in 4:3.

Go to the 2K forums. It's the people with standard 4:3 TV's that benefit from this more. The widescreen TV owners get less FOV. That's what everyone is complaining about. That widescreen has become the standard and 2K messed it up.

hmm what if they took the standard Tv 4:3 image and then just add a bigger field of view (red bars on side). I look at the image below and I wonder how much less I'll be experiencing in Widescreen then I should be.

- Red shadded and red boxes are what Widescreen tvs are missing out

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Astrodust said:
rocketpig said:
Astrodust said:
sieanr said:
Give me a break...

Go to the 2K forums. It's the people with standard 4:3 TV's that benefit from this more. The widescreen TV owners get less FOV. That's what everyone is complaining about. That widescreen has become the standard and 2K messed it up.

Have you read anything in this thread? Hell, have you even looked at the pictures?

The FOV for both aspect ratios is the EXACT same. The only difference is 4:3 has more on the top and bottom, something not related to FOV. Furthermore, I wil state this agian; the game was designed for widescreen from the outset, and its 4:3 thats messed up due to not having a ~90 FOV.

Seriously, get a clue.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

They both have the same laterly view size but 4:3 has a bigger vertical view size, that's the complaint. I don't know how important a vertical view is for a game like Bioshock tho.

And why are those reactions surprising? We get plenty of fanboy explosions here over nothing all the time. ;> It's the stupid ultra-hardcore minority that everyone supposedly wants to cater to but is still never happy with anything.

sieanr said:
Astrodust said:
rocketpig said:
Astrodust said:
sieanr said:
Give me a break...

Have you read anything in this thread? Hell, have you even looked at the pictures?

The FOV for both aspect ratios is the EXACT same. The only difference is 4:3 has more on the top and bottom, something not related to FOV. Furthermore, I wil state this agian; the game was designed for widescreen from the outset, and its 4:3 thats messed up due to not having a ~90 FOV.

Seriously, get a clue.

Get a clue. lmao. Go to the 2K forums and explain it to them. So FOV is exactly the same yet the 4:3 ratio gets the expanded view of the top and bot??? Think before you speak please. Just look at the image Gebx put up and tell me which TV is seeing more.