By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Bioshock widescreen issue

andamanen said:
There might be an easy fix for the PC version. A lot of first person games (/shooters) let you simply change the fov (field of view) by editing a line in an .ini file, which should solve the problem.

Thats all they've done is they have forgotten to change the FOV from 90 to ~110 (can't remember the number exactly for 16:9). PC version will be an easy fix, not how they will handle the 360 one.

Around the Network

This doesn't make any sense to me. You don't play this game by constantly switching back and forth between widescreen and 4:3, and noticing the difference in what you can see.

If you play the game in widescreen and approach something, you stop before you get too close.

Aspect  ratio doesn't mean you can necessarily see more or less, it just affects whether you will see more above and below, or to the sides. The only way you could actually see more is if you adjust the angle of view (think fisheye lens at the extreme.)

If this were a 3rd person shooter, then it might be more necessary to adjust the player's viewpoint to maintain perspective. But this seems like a extremely minor issue for a FPS, in actual gameplay. 

This is a minor issue for me as well but obviously not for a lot of people who understand that proper widescreen support is the standard today. This is obviously a screwup. 2K will probably address this but they will wait until the majority of their initial shipment is sold I think.

Can anyone with this game and a widescreen tv confirm if its as bad as the picture makes it look?

One poster claimed he didnt think the hand was as cut off as much as it is in the kotaku image ((is the area of the red bars exaggerated?).

Either way a patch should be able to correct this. 

PS360 ftw!

Currently playing..........

Gears of War 2, GTA IV Lost and Damned, Little Big Planet (Yes I said I had no interest but my girl wanted to try it and we did and now Im hooked )

friedtofu said:

Can anyone with this game and a widescreen tv confirm if its as bad as the picture makes it look?

One poster claimed he didnt think the hand was as cut off as much as it is in the kotaku image ((is the area of the red bars exaggerated?).

Either way a patch should be able to correct this. 

It is confirmed by a lot of people on the 2K forum. The experience is that you are zoomed in a little too much. Less FOV. A patch should be able to fix the PC version. I have a feeling they will address the 360 version as well.

Around the Network

wow that's enough for people to cancel their preorders... I'd be more concerned with the fact that you can't die in the game

I HAVE A DOUBLE DRAGON CAB IN MY KITCHEN!!!!!!

NOW A PUNISHER CAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

masschamber said:
wow that's enough for people to cancel their preorders... I'd be more concerned with the fact that you can't die in the game

Actually that bugs me more than the widescreen issue. That you can just respawn and hack away at enemies until the game is done. Any little kid will have this game beat in a week. I guess maybe that's what they wanted but it takes away from the challenge. Maybe I am old school but I like to feel a sense of accomplishment when I beat a game. Like my skills were involved. And I think the people that are canceling their preorders will pick up the game once it is patched. No one is saying it is a bad game. Just that if they can get a more perfect version, it might be worth it to wait a couple of weeks.

It's not a huge deal and cancelling preorders over it is flat-out stupid. I'm about three hours into the game and it is pure brilliance. The best game I have played since RE4 and Twilight Princess. Time will tell if it's better than either.

But, if you want to get your panties in a bunch and cancel an order over something this minor, go for it. You're just missing out.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Give me a break...

This game was designed to be widescreen from the outset, and its FOV is set accordingly. In actuality, the 4:3 setting just displays a bit more on the top and bottom, but outisde of that its the "exact" same as 16:9.

Just to make sure none of you miss this, I'll repeat it; The game was designed for widescreen, and its the 4:3 mode thats "half-assed"

But hey, if you wan't to miss the best game released in ages over a silly widescreen non-issue, go ahead.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Example;

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away"