By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Bioshock widescreen issue

endimion said:
do you guys even own a 360 ???? you get your games patched by request autmatically as soon the patch is released on the XBL.... a pb like that should take them like 30min to make a patch... then send it to MS which put it on the live... if they want to correct it... it should be out by the end of next week....WAOW I gonna cancel the game until it's patched... what a bunch of morons.... they don't even deserve to have a console and should get life

Some of us are playing this game on the PC.

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network
endimion said:
do you guys even own a 360 ???? you get your games patched by request autmatically as soon the patch is released on the XBL.... a pb like that should take them like 30min to make a patch... then send it to MS which put it on the live... if they want to correct it... it should be out by the end of next week....WAOW I gonna cancel the game until it's patched... what a bunch of morons.... they don't even deserve to have a console and should get life

I do own a 360 with a hard drive. Some people don't. I am not bashing the game, only acknowledging that there is an issue. People take this as an attack on their game. Obviously there are many people that are expecting a more complete experience otherwise the 2K forums wouldn't have over 60 pages on the thread about this subject. They have already issued a letter about the widescreen issue and are planning to follow up on it once some of their guys get back from vacation. Which basically means that they are buying time to see how the week plays out. I mean who goes on vacation the day your game launches.

The funniest thing about this is that retards are actually canceling their pre-orders. The sky must be falling.

well even better open the *.ini file FoV setting is in and edit it yourself..... you have patched it in a second.... I'm not talking about you... but if you are geeky enough to go bitch about a game on the official forum you should be able to do that or to find out how to do it.... if not same thing they should get off internet and get a life...
or did I miss something???

Yup, people are overreacting. No one would have even noticed this if someone else hadn't posted it on the net.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network
endimion said:
well even better open the *.ini file FoV setting is in and edit it yourself..... you have patched it in a second.... I'm not talking about you... but if you are geeky enough to go bitch about a game on the official forum you should be able to do that or to find out how to do it.... if not same thing they should get off internet and get a life...

According to the guys at the widescreen gaming forums, editing the ini file doesn't change a thing.

endimion said:

Yes you did. Just because someone is geeky enough to find and fiddle with ini files does not grant developers license to pass this burden onto the end user. Why am I expected to complete the 1% left in the game's development? Last time I checked, I was not on Irrational's payroll.

It's an excuse for poor design choices. It's like saying that if you are geeky enough, you should be able to get a website to load a custom CSS to enlarge the font because you felt the default size was too small but the site does not allow you to change the font size. Truth is, not everyone is geeky just because they know how to use the Internet.

And obviously, if it were really so simple an issue as to "take them like 30min to make a patch... then send it to MS which put it on the live... if they want to correct it... it should be out by the end of next week...." the developers would have commented as much on the 2K forum before that particular thread ballooned to over 60 posts in less than one day. Developers would have quelled the flames long ago by stating exactly what you said:

"Hey all, thanks for the feedback, we are working on a fix to the problem and it'll be done in 1/2 an hour! Then we send the patch to MS and by the next update, you guys will have your aspect ratio and FOV problems solved!"

I can accept that I had to change ini settings to games like SimCity4 or Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory because those games were developed around the time widescreen was becoming standard (but not quite), but we are in 2007 after all.

And stop with the "morons" and "get a life" comments (you too, joedamico). Forum members are not required to see eye-to-eye with you, despite your near-fanatical zeal to defend the game, and those kinds of comments are insulting.

Katilian said:
endimion said:

According to the guys at the widescreen gaming forums, editing the ini file doesn't change a thing.

That's right - some games, even if they offer such settings in the ini file, will not change the settings in-game.

Many games either use a licensed game engine or an in-house engine that most likely support FOV and aspect ratio settings. However, it's up to the developers to enable or disable such options, and if enabled, to define the parameters.

Doom3 doesn't support 1080i no matter how much you fiddle with the settings in the ini file - it will only support up to 720p. Obviously id didn't include 1080i as a possibiliby/option. And yes, I would've returned the game, but I bought it and didn't play it until some two years after I bought it; needless to say, there was no chance for me to return the game - and yes, it bothers the hell out of me to see two black vertical bars on each end of the monitor. 

Jeez, people bitch about the smallest things these days. Returning the game? Not playing until its fixed? Gimme a break...

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

So basically what I am gathering is that widescreen tv's have a problem. I have a 26" 16x9 aspect ratio so I should not have a problem with this then? The picture looked fine, played for about 45 minutes. However I did start to feel motion sickness which pisses me off because the only other game that did that to me was Doom and Marathon.