By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Bioshock widescreen issue

endimion said:
well even better open the *.ini file FoV setting is in and edit it yourself..... you have patched it in a second.... I'm not talking about you... but if you are geeky enough to go bitch about a game on the official forum you should be able to do that or to find out how to do it.... if not same thing they should get off internet and get a life...
or did I miss something???

Some people in the widescreen gaming forum (or whatever it's called, the original forum where all of this started) tried to do just that and the game seems to ignore any changes made to the FoV in the ini file.

Around the Network

If you hadn't read about this on a forum, would you even know?

And just for the record, these people who are bitching about the widescreen are the same people who threw a shit fit when they heard that some of the Big Daddy figures for the LE were broken. The same people who threw a shit fit because the LE didn't have a metal case. The same people who threw a shit fit because the CD included in the LE has three songs.

Some people overexagerraate everything, especially on the internet. Furthermore, if you only look where people are complaining then it will seem like a widespread issue.

If you really think the problems so bad, then why dont you DL the demo - then play on a widescreen and 4:3 and find out for yourself.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

I'm not sure what the fuss is about. I played it last night on a 42" HD TV (widescreen) in 1080p and the game looks freak'n great. No feelings of tunnel vision or anything.

I supose it would be cool to see an inch or two more at the top and bottom, but it's not like I notice now.

Some folks asked how the problem will be fixed? Easy, I'm sure an x-box live auto download patch should take care of it.

Scratch my earlier idea -- the 360 assumes that if you're in 1080i you're also in widescreen, there's no way to set it for 1080i in 4:3. My TV only supports 480i, 480p and 1080i. Sounds like it's not an issue anyway -- I've never felt like "open matte" was an advantage over 1.85:1, and it sounds like that's exactly what this "issue" is. Trying to finish Paper Mario so I can dive into Bioshock this weekend.

your mother said:

The issue is that:

- in 4:3 you see 100% horizontally and 100% vertically

- in 16:9 you see 100% horizontally and about 85% vertically

How is this not an issue?

If the aspect ratio and FOV were correct in widescreen, it should not look like you are viewing the game from inside a knight's helmet.

Seems more like:

4:3 you see 100% horizontally and 115% vertically

16:9 you see 100% horizontally and 100% vertically

Aren't most 4:3 displays not even hi-def? I don't really see many 720p 4:3 displays on the market.... They are usually widescreen.