By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - LBP has passed Ratchet in sales. Can it now be called a Success?

Since LBP has failed to be a sytem seller, we could not call this game a "success" Don't forget that this game was supposed to be the big Sony Game of the year.

Around the Network

@fabinou

some games sell systems throughout a system's whole life

maybe 1K extra WW a week or something.....such a system seller won't really be noticed but in reality it will have sold many many systems throughout the PS3's life

your not going to see LBP come out then syddenly 50K more PS3's sold a week

no no...

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

fabinou said:
Since LBP has failed to be a sytem seller, we could not call this game a "success" Don't forget that this game was supposed to be the big Sony Game of the year.

As sad as this might sound, it was the biggest Sony game last year...

Anyhoo, we're looking at 3-4 million lifetime here, and that's as much as any realistic person ever expected of it.

@okeydokey

thats debatable.....some would say the sequel to a 3 Million selling game was -- Resistance 2

~I felt it was Motorstorm 2 as motorstorm had sold near 3.7 million

but LBP has become SONY's highest rated game ever....so I don't see them loosing sleep over it

darthdevidem01 said:
@okeydokey

thats debatable.....some would say the sequel to a 3 Million selling game was -- Resistance 2

~I felt it was Motorstorm 2 as motorstorm had sold near 3.7 million

but LBP has become SONY's highest rated game ever....so I don't see them loosing sleep over it

How is it debatable? LBP sold more than both R2 and Motorstorm 2.

Around the Network

Are you all telling you had ridiculously high expectations and that LBP failed only because you expected more? I don't exactly know what could be called a failure but this is pretty much going just as I though.

@okeydokey

well it did but originally.....n theoretically R2 & MS2 should be past 2 Million right now
______

as for LBP's success.....

SERIOUSLY.....are some people here saying its not successfuly because a few SONY fanboys on vg chartz said it would be "huge"

seriously....is that your basis for judging the game's success?

It definitely was a success, just some people were implying that sales would be off the wall >.> (cough Gearbox 10 million cough cough).

besides LBP is probably going to be the most profitable PS3 game barring GT5 + GT5 PRologue combined

MGS4 DLC has raniing of upto 100K

so 100K people got the $6 MGS Level pack......LBP has got to be making money...it was made by what 20 people

Onimusha12 said:
until we know what Sony's expectations for the game were, how much it cost to produce, manufacture & advertise vs how much it made, there's no way we can really say anything about it being a success or failure.

They expected it to sell GT5P levels. It could exceed that.

How much do you think it cost to make? Look at it!

They did advertise it a fair bit...

I would say it's a success, and it's made a fair bit of profit. They've made what, $45 million off it in revenue?

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective