Forums - Sony Discussion - LBP has passed Ratchet in sales. Can it now be called a Success?

@ ZenfolderVGI )

As you said yourself "when you make a statement you should add conditions", therefore your blanket statement "The truth is, if you were involved or not, this game was hyped to be the best game ever, transcend other games, and sell like crackrock" isn't the "truth" at all, as _maybe_ a very very small minority of PS3 owners actually believed this would happen, while the vast majority of the users excited for LBP hoped it would score very well (90-95%) and sell very well (2million-3million) for a PS3 game.

For every hyped game there are fanatics, who believe it'd change the world as we know it and this minority often is very vocal, but people really shouldn't make the mistake to believe they embody the mindset of the normaly excited users.

Around the Network

Of course its a success.

Hype is just that - hype, and something to be ignored if you're sensible. Whether a videogame or a film huge hype expectations are rarely meet in terms of audience reaction.

LBP reviewed amazingly well for a new IP, sold well for its genre as a new IP (particularly considering the install base), has a very active community with massive reply value and a nice line in DLC (I'd love to know how much additional money the MGS and costume DLC has generated as I suspect LBP is a lot more profitable that it might appear due the DLC, even if, MGS pack aside, its overpriced).

It's picking up GOTY awards and is likely so sell nicely over time as well.  It's also a game from a small team with what would appear to have been a fairly small cost to develop by HD game standards.

I'd say it was a success.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

@onimusha

back in Sep or Aug

SONY said they expect LBP to do GT5: Prologue figures in terms of sales.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Since LBP has failed to be a sytem seller, we could not call this game a "success" Don't forget that this game was supposed to be the big Sony Game of the year.

@fabinou

some games sell systems throughout a system's whole life

maybe 1K extra WW a week or something.....such a system seller won't really be noticed but in reality it will have sold many many systems throughout the PS3's life

your not going to see LBP come out then syddenly 50K more PS3's sold a week

no no...

Around the Network
fabinou said:
Since LBP has failed to be a sytem seller, we could not call this game a "success" Don't forget that this game was supposed to be the big Sony Game of the year.

As sad as this might sound, it was the biggest Sony game last year...

Anyhoo, we're looking at 3-4 million lifetime here, and that's as much as any realistic person ever expected of it.

@okeydokey

thats debatable.....some would say the sequel to a 3 Million selling game was -- Resistance 2

~I felt it was Motorstorm 2 as motorstorm had sold near 3.7 million

but LBP has become SONY's highest rated game ever....so I don't see them loosing sleep over it

darthdevidem01 said:
@okeydokey

thats debatable.....some would say the sequel to a 3 Million selling game was -- Resistance 2

~I felt it was Motorstorm 2 as motorstorm had sold near 3.7 million

but LBP has become SONY's highest rated game ever....so I don't see them loosing sleep over it

How is it debatable? LBP sold more than both R2 and Motorstorm 2.

Are you all telling you had ridiculously high expectations and that LBP failed only because you expected more? I don't exactly know what could be called a failure but this is pretty much going just as I though.

@okeydokey

well it did but originally.....n theoretically R2 & MS2 should be past 2 Million right now
______

as for LBP's success.....

SERIOUSLY.....are some people here saying its not successfuly because a few SONY fanboys on vg chartz said it would be "huge"

seriously....is that your basis for judging the game's success?