By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - LBP has passed Ratchet in sales. Can it now be called a Success?

By my understanding it is a success. Besides being a new ip and selling well, it is another reason to own a PS3.

Around the Network
BTFeather55 said:
It is the best selling platform game on PS3, only 7 platformers on PS2 sold better and only 8 on PS1 sold better. The next one for it to pass is Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal at 2.17 million on PS2.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
sega4life said:

For the hype it got = NOPE

For being a new IP = YEP

Exactly. You need to add conditions, like, "for a PS3 game" or "for a new IP."

You can't say "LBP was a huge success saleswise" and not add a condition, or you'd be purposefully misleading whoever you were trying to convince.

We have to judge these things relatively.

Sure, even without conditions, LBP is a success, you could call it that. However, leaving out any conditions would be purposefully remiss and non-descript.

I could easily say that "Ninja Gaiden 2 is a fantastic game." However, that's not really telling the whole story is it? It's not really a lie, and it is certainly my opinion, but I feel I would be being a bit biased if I told that to a n00b.

Same thing with LBP having "amazing success in the sales arena."

Then Mario Kart Wii is setting in the bar, and wtf. I get busted out as a liar.

The hype train praise LBP as a fantastic game, a pioneer of innovation in gaming and at the same time a link to video game's forgotten pass. Most media agree, praising it for delivering everything it had promise and more, although personally it was not to my taste (I still bought it).

With regards to the sale however, most of the sensible crowd had predicted 3mil+ life time sale which was an achievable and very sensible estimate, especially when it was widely known well before the launch that the game would be heavily bundled.

it has been a success for awhile now. profit = success, 1 million = profit, near 2 million = more profit, and if profit = success/then/ more profit = more success. so no LBP can not be called a success but it can be called more success.

Pika Bomb 5

Pikachu Rap!

Pika to the Pi, To The Pi-Pi Pika, Hes a bad yellow pokemon, shoves thunder in your ass, go Pika, go Pika, PIKACHU!

join my threads or ill keep bombing you!

Around the Network

and what fools say its not a success ?

the thing is a cash cow, made by a tiny team its sales are great for a brand new ip.

LBP is one of the best games this gen end of story so the game is a sucess and will keep selling.

in the meantime dont think of the game any lower because it hasnt at this point reached 3 million+ you only buy one copy like i do and what a game it is to enjoy. theres no way il trade this in because of replay value.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

@ ZenfolderVGI )

As you said yourself "when you make a statement you should add conditions", therefore your blanket statement "The truth is, if you were involved or not, this game was hyped to be the best game ever, transcend other games, and sell like crackrock" isn't the "truth" at all, as _maybe_ a very very small minority of PS3 owners actually believed this would happen, while the vast majority of the users excited for LBP hoped it would score very well (90-95%) and sell very well (2million-3million) for a PS3 game.

For every hyped game there are fanatics, who believe it'd change the world as we know it and this minority often is very vocal, but people really shouldn't make the mistake to believe they embody the mindset of the normaly excited users.

Of course its a success.

Hype is just that - hype, and something to be ignored if you're sensible. Whether a videogame or a film huge hype expectations are rarely meet in terms of audience reaction.

LBP reviewed amazingly well for a new IP, sold well for its genre as a new IP (particularly considering the install base), has a very active community with massive reply value and a nice line in DLC (I'd love to know how much additional money the MGS and costume DLC has generated as I suspect LBP is a lot more profitable that it might appear due the DLC, even if, MGS pack aside, its overpriced).

It's picking up GOTY awards and is likely so sell nicely over time as well.  It's also a game from a small team with what would appear to have been a fairly small cost to develop by HD game standards.

I'd say it was a success.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

@onimusha

back in Sep or Aug

SONY said they expect LBP to do GT5: Prologue figures in terms of sales.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey