Forums - Sony Discussion - LBP has passed Ratchet in sales. Can it now be called a Success?

axumblade said:
2 comments about it.

Ratchet & Clank = cheaper advertising.

Also, R&C came out when there were less PS3's on the market. The next Ratchet & Clank should sell a lot better.

LittleBigPlanet will continue to sell but I see the next Ratchet & Clank Futures outselling the original.

Maybe... i dunno.  Market Share doesn't seem to effect sales that much for core games.  I mean look at most series...

Usually the first game out for a franchise is the best selling one.

It's usually the unconventional titles that are new IPs that start off low and then raise in sales as the gen goes on.

Also while R&C did have cheaper advertising... LBP did have lower development costs.

Of course one wonders how much Sony blew in advertising on the game.   Advertising the game heavily was a bad choice since it's a classic word of mouth game.

Around the Network
BTFeather55 said:
It is the best selling platform game on PS3, only 7 platformers on PS2 sold better and only 8 on PS1 sold better. The next one for it to pass is Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal at 2.17 million on PS2.

Considering that there's been...1 other high profile platform game on the PS3 (R&C), that isn't too difficult is it?

Kasz216 said:
axumblade said:
2 comments about it.

Ratchet & Clank = cheaper advertising.

Also, R&C came out when there were less PS3's on the market. The next Ratchet & Clank should sell a lot better.

LittleBigPlanet will continue to sell but I see the next Ratchet & Clank Futures outselling the original.

Maybe... i dunno.  Market Share doesn't seem to effect sales that much for core games.  I mean look at most series...

Usually the first game out for a franchise is the best selling one.

It's usually the unconventional titles that are new IPs that start off low and then raise in sales as the gen goes on.

Most people I talk to about the game either say that they are waiting for a price drop on it or they bought/are buying it used. Used games don't really go into the sales data (from what I've understood at least). Although, there have been major sales for Ratchet & Clank: Quest 4 Booty through PSN. No confirmed sales figures but it seems to have sold well considering that it made it into the top 10 for the year with an August release date and no bundling/deals on it.

There are also people who were waiting for a second Ratchet game or a Jak game to come out to get the PS3 since it does carry the hefty price tag.

By my understanding it is a success. Besides being a new ip and selling well, it is another reason to own a PS3.

BTFeather55 said:
It is the best selling platform game on PS3, only 7 platformers on PS2 sold better and only 8 on PS1 sold better. The next one for it to pass is Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal at 2.17 million on PS2.

Around the Network
ZenfoldorVGI said:
sega4life said:

For the hype it got = NOPE

For being a new IP = YEP

Exactly. You need to add conditions, like, "for a PS3 game" or "for a new IP."

You can't say "LBP was a huge success saleswise" and not add a condition, or you'd be purposefully misleading whoever you were trying to convince.

We have to judge these things relatively.

Sure, even without conditions, LBP is a success, you could call it that. However, leaving out any conditions would be purposefully remiss and non-descript.

I could easily say that "Ninja Gaiden 2 is a fantastic game." However, that's not really telling the whole story is it? It's not really a lie, and it is certainly my opinion, but I feel I would be being a bit biased if I told that to a n00b.

Same thing with LBP having "amazing success in the sales arena."

Then Mario Kart Wii is setting in the bar, and wtf. I get busted out as a liar.

The hype train praise LBP as a fantastic game, a pioneer of innovation in gaming and at the same time a link to video game's forgotten pass. Most media agree, praising it for delivering everything it had promise and more, although personally it was not to my taste (I still bought it).

With regards to the sale however, most of the sensible crowd had predicted 3mil+ life time sale which was an achievable and very sensible estimate, especially when it was widely known well before the launch that the game would be heavily bundled.

it has been a success for awhile now. profit = success, 1 million = profit, near 2 million = more profit, and if profit = success/then/ more profit = more success. so no LBP can not be called a success but it can be called more success.

Pika Bomb 5

Pikachu Rap!

Pika to the Pi, To The Pi-Pi Pika, Hes a bad yellow pokemon, shoves thunder in your ass, go Pika, go Pika, PIKACHU!

join my threads or ill keep bombing you!

and what fools say its not a success ?

the thing is a cash cow, made by a tiny team its sales are great for a brand new ip.

LBP is one of the best games this gen end of story so the game is a sucess and will keep selling.

in the meantime dont think of the game any lower because it hasnt at this point reached 3 million+ you only buy one copy like i do and what a game it is to enjoy. theres no way il trade this in because of replay value.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...