By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - LBP has passed Ratchet in sales. Can it now be called a Success?

sega4life said:

For the hype it got = NOPE

For being a new IP = YEP

Exactly. You need to add conditions, like, "for a PS3 game" or "for a new IP."

You can't say "LBP was a huge success saleswise" and not add a condition, or you'd be purposefully misleading whoever you were trying to convince.

We have to judge these things relatively.

Sure, even without conditions, LBP is a success, you could call it that. However, leaving out any conditions would be purposefully remiss and non-descript.

I could easily say that "Ninja Gaiden 2 is a fantastic game." However, that's not really telling the whole story is it? It's not really a lie, and it is certainly my opinion, but I feel I would be being a bit biased if I told that to a n00b.

Same thing with LBP having "amazing success in the sales arena."

Then Mario Kart Wii is setting in the bar, and wtf. I get busted out as a liar.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network

It is the best selling platform game on PS3, only 7 platformers on PS2 sold better and only 8 on PS1 sold better. The next one for it to pass is Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal at 2.17 million on PS2.

Heavens to Murgatoids.

d21lewis said:
LBP was never a failure in my opinion. It was always a success. It just wasn't "huge".

Word.

Though Ratchet and Clank's sales were actually disapointing by the tune of at least a half a million when you consider the sales of the PS2 versions.

until we know what Sony's expectations for the game were, how much it cost to produce, manufacture & advertise vs how much it made, there's no way we can really say anything about it being a success or failure.

d21lewis said:
LBP was never a failure in my opinion. It was always a success. It just wasn't "huge".

its huge to me, its just one of few games i have managed to love to death. >_>

Around the Network

The game was a sucess before it even came out.

Jo21 said:
its huge to me, its just one of few games i have managed to love to death. >_>

Smashed said:
The game was a sucess before it even came out.

I think these unbiased testaments answer the question quite clearly.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Now, as quality goes, the game is pretty good. Not a great premise, nor a popular genre, imho, and the replay value is questionable despite all the user-created sloth that we're pointed too. The single player, however, is a fun little romp. It's about as good as Brawl, to be honest, and that's quite a compliment from me. Either way, not in my top 5 this year. Fallout 3, MGS4, Persona 4, Valkyria, Bioshock, and even GTAIV all trumphed it, on the PS3/BC front, and if you expand that, I'd add L4D, Brawl, and Vesperia.

If you want to tell yourself it's a success, that's fine by me though. The truth is, if you were involved or not, this game was hyped to be the best game ever, transcend other games, and sell like crackrock. It failed in all three regards.

This.

Then again, if people didn't take the sales figures of a certain game so personally, we wouldn't be having these discussions about it. 

Of course mention Beyond Good and Evil and I become just as bad as the LBP extremists ...

axumblade said:
2 comments about it.

Ratchet & Clank = cheaper advertising.

Also, R&C came out when there were less PS3's on the market. The next Ratchet & Clank should sell a lot better.

LittleBigPlanet will continue to sell but I see the next Ratchet & Clank Futures outselling the original.

Maybe... i dunno.  Market Share doesn't seem to effect sales that much for core games.  I mean look at most series...

Usually the first game out for a franchise is the best selling one.

It's usually the unconventional titles that are new IPs that start off low and then raise in sales as the gen goes on.

Also while R&C did have cheaper advertising... LBP did have lower development costs.

Of course one wonders how much Sony blew in advertising on the game.   Advertising the game heavily was a bad choice since it's a classic word of mouth game.

BTFeather55 said:
It is the best selling platform game on PS3, only 7 platformers on PS2 sold better and only 8 on PS1 sold better. The next one for it to pass is Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal at 2.17 million on PS2.

Considering that there's been...1 other high profile platform game on the PS3 (R&C), that isn't too difficult is it?