By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - LBP has passed Ratchet in sales. Can it now be called a Success?

LBP is a success for being a great game! Moreover, the game is selling very well despite what a lot of people said months ago. LBP GOTY!

Play my LittleBigPlanet level: Mystic Runner. Thanks!

Around the Network

its something new, thats how its a success. the sales arent as good as we all expected but their pretty decent.

CGI-Quality said:
The "lower than expected" sales, IMO, don't reflect the quality nor innovation, yes it's innovative, of LBP. I think it's more along the lines of it couldn't sell better in this situation due to the high price point of the PS3. LBP would have sold lots more but people just couldn't afford the system, which was understandable. However, LBP was advertised, recieved excellent reviews/word of mouth so why else didn't it sell more...because a $400 console isn't welcoming to lots of parents during a recession of this nature AND with other options that will suffice: Xbox 360 & Wii, remember, those two systems still offer plenty. I say, in lieu of all these circumstances against LBP, it still sold nearly 2mill in 3 months as a new IP, on a $400 console. For that, it's a success regardless of a few outlandish predictions from a few fans and NOT from MM/Sony. Answer to OP: YES it was a great success.

so if lbp was made for another cheaper console you think it could of sold over 5 million?

BTFeather55 said:

I just found out that Little Big Planet has passed Ratchet and Clank Future in sales. Does this mean LBP is now a success? Little Big Planet = 1.89 million sold, Ratchet and Clank Future - 1.57 million sold.

Every few days some one makes a posasking if LBP is a success, or if it can now be considered a hit . . .

If you have to keep asking, it probobly wasn't much of a hit.

I played the game a bunch on my sisters fiances ps3.  It's so vastly overrated its amazing, talk about a game no one will remember in a few years.  you can find games like it online very easily.

Last year's game of the year turned out to be Silent Hill : Shattered Memories (online GOTY was COD 6).  This year's GOTY leader to me is Heavy Rain.

Wii Friend Code: 4094-4604-1880-6889

Of course its a success, the legs on the game are awesome, 3 million is a given...after that, who knows

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Around the Network

I bought it and don't enjoy it all that much. It's just not my thing.

Nevertheless, it's a Sony game on the PS3 that had a great amount of hype. And seeing as everyone and their mother want to bash the PlayStation 3 into oblivion (even though most probably had wonderful times with Sony's last consoles, making them hypocritical clowns), it'll be considered a failure ad eternum.

Can we now stop seeing an endless number of threads about LBP from Playstation fanboys?

Oh dear I hope so it seems like there has been a million number of threads on this game all saying the exact same thing

madskillz said:
What my bro D21Lewis said. Yeah, everyone knew it would sell. However, just search for the threads with the words EPIC and LBP and see what comes up. It was pegged to be along the lines of Metal Gear, Halo 3, Gears 2 and the like. It may hit that, but folks were predicting it would hit those numbers immediately. Didn't happen. The hype train derailed when expectations were met. End of story.

Wow what you said has absolutley nothing to do with whether LBP can be called a success or not. Just because a bunchof fanboys were hyping a game up doesn't mean that it has to sell 10 mill on openning day to be a success.

At this point, not only has Little Big Planet exceeded everyones expectations as an amazing video game, the sales are also enough for it to be dubbed successful. Not that many new IPs (especially on the last place console) hit those kindsof numbers.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
mibuokami said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
sega4life said:

For the hype it got = NOPE

For being a new IP = YEP

Exactly. You need to add conditions, like, "for a PS3 game" or "for a new IP."

You can't say "LBP was a huge success saleswise" and not add a condition, or you'd be purposefully misleading whoever you were trying to convince.

We have to judge these things relatively.

Sure, even without conditions, LBP is a success, you could call it that. However, leaving out any conditions would be purposefully remiss and non-descript.

I could easily say that "Ninja Gaiden 2 is a fantastic game." However, that's not really telling the whole story is it? It's not really a lie, and it is certainly my opinion, but I feel I would be being a bit biased if I told that to a n00b.

Same thing with LBP having "amazing success in the sales arena."

Then Mario Kart Wii is setting in the bar, and wtf. I get busted out as a liar.

The hype train praise LBP as a fantastic game, a pioneer of innovation in gaming and at the same time a link to video game's forgotten pass. Most media agree, praising it for delivering everything it had promise and more, although personally it was not to my taste (I still bought it).

With regards to the sale however, most of the sensible crowd had predicted 3mil+ life time sale which was an achievable and very sensible estimate, especially when it was widely known well before the launch that the game would be heavily bundled.

It might have delivered what it promised, but it certainly didn't deliver more. Even previewers were promising the best game of all time, and I certainly don't think it managed that. It couldn't possibly have delivered "more" than what it promised. However, this is, as always, the pitfall of being overhyped...by fans, journalists, and Sony themselves.

As to the genre, it's a different type of game. It's Tetris good, not Zelda good. It's not rocket science. Instead of trying to create a perfect game, it created a cool, fun, and simple engine, and decorated it with some very nice graphics and artstyle. It's more linerider/WorldofGoo, and less Bioshock, Planescape Torment, and MGS4.

Of course, without even pretending this is just an opinion, most of us here prefer the narrative, complex, amazingly detailed open world gameplay of a MGS4 or Zelda, to puzzle type scenerio gameplay. However, we do respect greatness in any genre of game, and thus LBP is fantastic and amazing...it's just not most people's favorite.

I hope that explains things better.

Thats exactly it! From a critical point of view, I can safely say that it was a marvelous game with very little short coming, this doesn't mean its going to be one of my all time favourite game, just as I can acknowledge (despite all the bad forum press) that GTA4 was a fantastic game even if I hate the genre and got bored of the actual game within hours.

But how else are you going to measure success other than general consensus and sale? Both reviewers and owner of the game by a large majority are heaping praise upon it and its sale is well within the expected sale of any analyst or just anyone with common sense really (ie not a blind fanboy). 

perpride said:
madskillz said:
What my bro D21Lewis said. Yeah, everyone knew it would sell. However, just search for the threads with the words EPIC and LBP and see what comes up. It was pegged to be along the lines of Metal Gear, Halo 3, Gears 2 and the like. It may hit that, but folks were predicting it would hit those numbers immediately. Didn't happen. The hype train derailed when expectations were met. End of story.

Wow what you said has absolutley nothing to do with whether LBP can be called a success or not. Just because a bunchof fanboys were hyping a game up doesn't mean that it has to sell 10 mill on openning day to be a success.

At this point, not only has Little Big Planet exceeded everyones expectations as an amazing video game, the sales are also enough for it to be dubbed successful. Not that many new IPs (especially on the last place console) hit those kindsof numbers.

And who are you?

What I said has everything to do with if it's successful or not. To have it drilled into our heads 'LBP will sell 5 millions copies in weeks' vs. reality is a joke. It was hyped sooooooo much and while it made money, and has exceeded some folks' expectations, it is nowhere near where many folks on this site - and I mean a ton - that it would be at this point.