By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wiimote for PS2 this Xmas

Bodhesatva said:
Sporticus said:
@Leo-J. Wii actually does use Bluetooth, do your fucking homework. And only you, only you would in any way try and spin Six-Axis as being a good thing. Dear God.

I think it's a good thing. It's not perfect, but neither is the Wii Remote. 

That's like saying Jeffrey Daumer wasn't perfect but neither was mother Teressa.

“The Hardcore of the Peach is its pits. Try to get the whole fruit!”

- John Lucas

“Every industry is filled with the grave stones of companies who kept doing the same thing.”

- Reggie Fils-Aime

“You don’t play Graphics, you look at them.”

- Unknown

“Casual Gaming = Anything that’s not an FPS”

- Sony Fandom

Around the Network

I had no idea it uses bluetooth.. dam, then why does it need a sensor bar? Confusing it seems.

mM

Do people STILL not understand what the sensor bar is? It's not that freakin' complicated.

Wiimotes use Bluetooth for everything but the pointer. When you point at the screen, that's when it uses the sensor bar.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

That's for the pointer function. Did you think the sensor was used to track the motions?

To cash in my CC rewards points for $300 in Circuit City gift cards to purchase a 360 or not: That is the question.

The problem with add-on controllers such as this is that they never have enough market penetration for other developers to be bothered developing games that make use of them. Which means that the initial set of games bundled/designed for these controls will be the only games ever made to use them. These will not even sell in enough quantity for the original publisher to make it worthwhile to write more games. However because they have one game = one control they may make a small amount of money from the idea as people who bought one game may go back and buy a second.
But how could any other developer make a game to support any of the controls. They are obviously so tied to the bundled game. For example even if they sold 50million of the pool game+pool cue control would another developer be able to use it in another concept? I don't think so.

As for the Wii, the wiimote is so intrinsic to the whole design of the console that (as far as I know) every game so far developed has some form of motion sensing and very few support the 'classic' control.

JRI.

Around the Network
leo-j said:
I had no idea it uses bluetooth.. dam, then why does it need a sensor bar? Confusing it seems.

Other people have responded, but just to make this abundantly clear: 

The sensor bar transmits to the Wii Remote, not the other way around. The WR talks to the Wii via Bluetooth. The only reason that the sensor bar plugs into the Wii is to receive power; there are even third-party sensor bars that don't plug into the Wii, and either plug into an AC outlet or use batteries. And you can, in fact, move 20-25 feet away from the Wii and still have the controller work.

The Wii Remote has an infrared camera which can detect the position of the sensor bar, that's how it knows where you're pointing at on the screen. That's what it has that the SIXAXIS doesn't have (besides a shape that lets you hold it in one hand and move it around more freely).

ceres said:
That's for the pointer function. Did you think the sensor was used to track the motions?

omg!

How did this thread turn into:

Explain the world to leo-j ?

p.s.
infrared sensor bar ??? lol

so... we have ipods, and there's everything else. now, we're gonna have wii's, and everything else. great.

yeah, some people will buy it. yes, it'll probably make a good amount of profits, since the wii is likely gonna be sold-out most places. i don't know if this peripheral's crap, but if it's crap for real, it'll actually reinforce nintendo's quality in people's minds, much like the ipod sweeping aside one competitor after another and gradually establishing apple as one of the premier brands in the world today.

no idea what nintendo has in mind--but it's gonna be a great time to build the brand.

the Wii is an epidemic.

I think one significant point is not being mentioned in this thread:

regular third party controllers ALL SUCK! The analog sticks are terrible, the buttons feel squishy and cheap, the d pad only works in three directions, there's always at least one button that you need to force down with two fingers to get it working, ad the whole thing only ever lasts three months before it breaks completely.

If third parties can't even get a regular controller to work well, how the hell are they going to copy the Wiimote with any quality at all?

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

I am gonna go with "doomed to failure" on this one guys. How many 3rd party peripherals have ever done well? How about 3rd party peripherals introduced at the end of a consoles life?

To Each Man, Responsibility