By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo: "We aren't competing with Sony or Microsoft"

This issue has probably seen the most topics on this board from Nintendo trolls trying to 'discount' the Wii's sucess or whatever. Now Nintendo has come out and said the exact thing Nintendo fans have been arguing against for the last two years on here. Oh no!

But according to Koda, the company considers neither Microsoft nor Sony as rivals in the marketplace: "People often ask such questions, and we say our competitor is neither those companies, but consumer indifferent to games," he said.

The company launched the Wii in South Korea last April and the DS in January 2007, with the latter now having sold 2 million units in the territory - but Koda notes there is still a significant challenge ahead.

"As there were many violent games, many parents had negative images of games," he explained. "We face a major challenge of changing those negative images.

"We believe that the Korean market has growth potential as there are many people who are not interested in online games and who used to play online games, but do not play them anymore," he added.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/nintendo-will-thrive-regardless-of-downturns

Around the Network

umh?

that is totally different.

Here it's dismissal because others are not good enough to be considered competition.... like when I run my only competition is my shadow or something...

MS and Sony say nint is irrelevant which is oh them... they shouldn't count cause XX reason, so i'm the best not them.

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Outcast said:

This issue has probably seen the most topics on this board from Nintendo trolls trying to 'discount' the Wii's sucess or whatever. Now Nintendo has come out and said the exact thing Nintendo fans have been arguing against for the last two years on here. Oh no!

That's a very big stretch ...

Nintendo is (essentially) saying "We're not focused on repositioning our self in the market in response to the actions of our competitors because they pose no threat" which is quite different from what the fanboys mean when they say "The Wii isn't competing against the HD consoles"

@Outcast: Why would Nintendo feel the need to negate the fact that they're competing? Certainly not out of being dominated as is the case with Sony (Microsoft admits they are competing).

This is just some PR spin from Nintendo, and a bit of boasting. It's very different from what Sony says.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

To put it short, when Nintendo says they aren't competing with Sony and M$, they are saying that regardless the success of Sony and M$, Nintendo will succeed. Doesn't work the other way around, though.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network

@ outcast - similar messege but different meaning

The fanboys that have been saying 'the wii isn't comparable to the PS360' are meaning to imply that the Wii is somehow inferior to their console of choice, and therefore cannot be considered as the same sort of thing.

Nintendo however, is merely pointing out that the games industry is big enough for all 3 companies to make a profit, and that instead of aiming to drive the other two out of business, they are trying to further expand the industry to make it even easier next generation for all 3 companies to profit

Nintendo have always said that they're competing in/targeting the 'blue ocean' and that they aren't fighting for marketshare but making it i guess.

Whether they are or aren't is up for debate but in their mind they aren't targeting the same market, although there are some overlaps, so they aren't competing with them.

Like its says, they don't consider Microsoft nor Sony their rivals in the marketplace.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

*Facepalm*

Surprise!

Outcast said:

But according to Koda, the company considers neither Microsoft nor Sony as rivals in the marketplace: "People often ask such questions, and we say our competitor is neither those companies, but consumer indifferent to games," he said.

Nothing wrong with Koda said.  In fact I think this is the reason why they are so successful this time around.  They are not aiming to make MS gamers in Nintendo gamers or Sony gamers into Ninty gamers.  They are aiming to make non-gamers into gamers.  They are focusing on stealing marketshare from their competitors.  They are focused on growing the market.