By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo: "We aren't competing with Sony or Microsoft"

Is everyone blind?
This obviously points to how many people have been saying that the wii caters to people who don't play video games. (EDIT: it doesn't say people indifferent to console gaming, it says gaming, as in no gaming at all)
MS and Sony are catering to long-time gamers and Nintendo is not, therefore it's a different market but with overlap.

At least in Korea....

Around the Network

@ theprof00

Nintendo is catering to Gamers, Non-Gamers and Lapsed gamers, according to their E3 conferences prior to 2007 so it's wrong to say they aren't aiming for/catering to long-time gamers

I did say in korea though puffy.
But like I said there is overlap in the markets. Just picture two circles with an overlap down the middle, that middle is both gamers and non-gamers. That is the market, nintendo just happens to own one full circle which cuts into the other market.

PS: what gamers have they been catering to in the last year?

Oh boy! I will have to read this thread later, there must be some really funny comments from annoyed fans. :D

um, this dude is the CEO of Nintendo Korea man... He is reffering to the Korean Market place where in the past no one really cared about home consoles. In Fact, has the PS3 even launched there?

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
But like I said there is overlap in the markets. Just picture two circles with an overlap down the middle, that middle is both gamers and non-gamers. That is the market, nintendo just happens to own one full circle which cuts into the other market.

These are the games that Nintendo has published in 2008:

Wii Chess (Europe only)
Endless Ocean
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Mario Kart Wii
Wii Fit
Mario Super Sluggers
Wario Land: Shake It!
Fatal Frame IV (Japan only)
Captain Rainbow (Japan only)
Wii Music
Disaster: Day of Crisis (Japan/PAL Region only)
Animal Crossing: City Folk 
New Play Control! Pikmin (Released 2009 outside Japan)
New Play Control! Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat (Japan only)

Add to that WiiWare games:

Dr. Mario Online Rx
My Pokémon Ranch
Magnetica Twist
Art Style: ORBIENT
Art Style: CUBELLO
Art Style: ROTOHEX
MaBoShi: The Three Shape Arcade

And VC games, which I will not list, because I'm lazy.

From Wikipedia.

I guess I should add DS games as well:

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time
Crosswords DS
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Published by Sega outside Japan)
Professor Layton and the Curious Village (Published by Nintendo in Australia, America and Europe Only)
Glory of Hercules (Japan Only)
Pokémon Ranger: Shadows of Almia
Boura wa Kaseki Holder (Japan Only)
Soma Bringer (Japan Only)
Band Brothers DX (Japan Only)
Densetsu no Stafy Taiketsu!(Japan Only)
Pokémon Platinum (Japan Only)
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon
Rhythm Tengoku (Japan Only)
Kirby Super Star Ultra
Mystery Case Files: MillionHeir
Self-indulgent Fashion: Girls' Mode (Japan Only)
Personal Trainer: Walking (Japan Only)
Personal Trainer: Cooking
KORG DS-10 Synthesizer (Europe Only)
100 Classic Book Collection (Japan Only)

You decide on who they have been catering.

c0rd said:
disolitude said:

I agree with the second part of the statement.

About the first statement however... the fact that Wii is so different from the other 2 make the those strategies completely irrelevant for Nintendo. They would have had to completely ignore Sony, and concentrate on Nintendo in making a cheaper, less powerful gaming system with uniqe control mechanism. That would have been lunacy back in 2004 since no one knew Wii is going to get big. Also, its not really where microsofts strengths are so I agree that they really don't have the means to go after nintendo now that I think about it.

But if that was the case, Sony would have a much bigger marketshare and MS and nitnendo would be duking it out for scraps...basically last gen all over.

Don't mean to pick on ya, but I don't see the reasoning behind that one.

Consider the current situation - why is the Wii missing out on so much third party support? If we took the 360 out of the picture, would things have turned out the same? Really, how many more consoles could Sony have sold by the end of 07? I can't see the number being that much bigger. The fact is, it's mainly the 360 that really put the HD market into its current (powerful) position.

Btw, just read your Ipod vs Zune comment above, and I think it's silly. Apple customers are loyal? I'm pretty sure most people with iPods have it as their only Apple product. These aren't Apple fans of some sort. It'd be like saying McDonalds is doing well because their customers are loyal.

I guess we will never know but I do believe if PS3 was the only console with high quality Resident Evil 5, Final Fantasy 13, GTA4 and other HD software...which Xbox and Wii were getting downgraded ports or not getting them at all, it would have sold much much better. There is still a large number of developers (most top tier ones actually) that don't want to emprace motion contols and want to keep pushing the visual gaming. So all these games coming to PS3 would have pushed the console sales, despite the price... Not to mention the gamers that prefer standard controls.

As far as Ipod customers being loyal, I stand by that statement. A lot of the Ipod userbase is on their 3rd or even 4th gen ipods. Apple has a notorious tendancy to release something new every year plus they dont really last that long (I had 2 of them break on my in a year timespan) so they are like fast food of mp3 players. However the userbase will rarely stray from Ipods (or any product) after so many generations of buying it.

I love being told I'm not a real gamer because I own a Wii.

Rhonin the wizard said:
theprof00 said:

These are the games that Nintendo has published in 2008:

Wii Chess (Europe only)
Endless Ocean January 2008 12 months ago
Super Smash Bros. Brawl March 2008 10 months ago
Mario Kart Wii April 2008 9 months ago
Wii Fit May 2008 8 months ago (casual?)
Mario Super Sluggers August 2008 (casual?)
Wario Land: Shake It! September 2008 (decent release 500k)
Fatal Frame IV (Japan only) July (80k sales)
Captain Rainbow (Japan only) August (10k sales)
Wii Music October (2.2M) (casual?)
Disaster: Day of Crisis (Japan/PAL Region only) September (40k sales)
Animal Crossing: City Folk November (2.2M) (casual?)
New Play Control! Pikmin (Released 2009 outside Japan) really? we are going to include 5 year old game remakes?
New Play Control! Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat (Japan only)

Add to that WiiWare games:

Dr. Mario Online Rx
My Pokémon Ranch
Magnetica Twist
Art Style: ORBIENT
Art Style: CUBELLO
Art Style: ROTOHEX
MaBoShi: The Three Shape Arcade

And VC games, which I will not list, because I'm lazy.

From Wikipedia.

You decide on who they have been catering.

looks like mostly games for people who don't play games to me for the last 10 months.

Their decent offerings have less than stellar sales.

Dr. Mario? pokemon ranch? cmon really.....
You seem to be set in opposition but you list completely "introductory" games

Just for clarification I say casual when I refer to the amount of time (that I think) the average gamer will play them in an average run, and with what consistency.

PhalanxCO said:
I love being told I'm not a real gamer because I own a Wii.

I think too many people take the argument from the wrong direction.

If I own a Wii (of the 3 systems) I am not a gamer = incorrect logic

If you are not a gamer then (of the 3 systems) you own a wii = the actual argument