By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo: "We aren't competing with Sony or Microsoft"

@Disolitude: The problem is, that the strategy M$ knows, works only when the competition is in a bad financial shape, or you can drive the competitor into one. Against Apple, Google and Nintendo, who all make good profit and doesn't need large share to make profit, they are practically immune to the strategy M$ is using, so in order for M$ to compete, they need to compete with the product itself (and this is where M$ have never been strong).

Since you think M$ could take out Google and Apple, i would like to hear how do you think they would do that? As far as i can see, their attempts have largely failed with integrated Live/MSN search, trying to buy Yahoo, ActiveX for example. To take out Apple, M$ would need to manufacture its own computers and sell them cheap. That would lead to a very bloody pricewar and M$ propably losing a number of its current customers, like HP, Asus or the likes, who'd put out their Linux computers and fight for the price just as well.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network
dharh said:
Khuutra said:
dharh said:
Khuutra said:

What?

You can primarily game on the Wii and be a "traditional gamer". Don't be ridiculous.

I don't agree.  Completely new type of control scheme.  Games wildly different.  I honestly do not recognize very many Wii games as what I consider traditional.

Whether you recognize those games as "traditional" or not has nothing to do with anything. You haven't even defined the "traditional gamer" demographic which you claim the Wii precludes. The closest you can get is the description that Microsoft and Sony use for "hardcore", or (closer) what Nintendo calls the "core" demographic - and both of those can be describing people who primarily game on the Wii.

Well obviously its just my opinion and worth about as much as your opinion, which is to say whatever the going rate of our internet connections are.

I should think its also obvious that I think non-traditional games are games that emply motion control.  Also mini-games, or games casual if you will (though I don't like using that word anymore), non-game games (wii music, wii fit).

You are already fully aware of the changing definition of the word "casual" when applied to gaming, and how it used to be used to describe first person shooters, real time strategy games, GTA-style sandbox affairs, and so forth. Pretending that this has anything to do with what's "traditional" is ridiculous.

There is no such thing as "traditional" gaming unless you want to pull out a pen and paper and play some D&D. Every single generation, every single one, has brought around at least one paradigm shift in terms of what defined popular gameplay. The motion control revolution headed by the Wii is going to be the mosti mpactful since the advent of 3-D, but that does not make it any less "traditional" than Super Mario 64 was back in 1996, especially when those motion controls are applied to radically core titles.

Play Zack and Wiki, then try to tell me that it's not a "traditional" game because of the motion controls. Certainly you can say this, but you would be lying to yourself.

dharh said:
HappySqurriel said:
dharh said:
It's true anyway. Last gen traditional gamers (aka PS2 and XBOX owners) are primarily PS3 and X360 owners. Wii owners are either brand new gamers, nintendo fans, or non-traditional gamers. The fact is the console market has segmented right down the middle 50% wii and 50% PS3/X360. There is just not much crossover.

When this gen ends im going to own probably close to 50 PS3/X360 games and maybe 5 wii games.

Being that most Wii owners owned a previous generation console, and many of the best selling games on the Wii would sell amazingly well on the XBox 360 or PS3, I personally doubt that the Wii is full of "new" or "unconventional" gamers ...

Now, I've played videogames since the coleco, have owned multiple consoles in every generation since the SNES was released, and I used to be an avid PC gamer ... I own an XBox 360 and a Wii, and my XBox 360's primary use is as a media center extender and I play games on it about 1/4 as much as I play games on the Wii; the reason for this is simple, like many people my age I became burnt out on FPS and online competition almost a decade ago after playing endless hours of online multiplayer on the PC.

Just because you were a traditional gamer then, doesn't mean you are now.  You're definitely not a traditional gamer now.  Even as you say, you have an X360 but don't play it nearly as much.  I own a Wii but in reality its a dust collector, I wouldn't call myself a wii gamer.

It shouldn't bother people being labeled traditional for much longer.  Traditional will eventually include the Wii point of view, and if things get really good for Wii or Wii-style gaming, it will completely take it over and "Old Style" will become the niche instead of half the market.

Because in order to be a traditional gamer I have to play online FPS?

Shawn White Snowboarding, Mario Kart Wii, Super Mario Galaxy, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Super Smash Bros Brawl, Fire Emblem, Battalion Wars 2, Metroid Prime 3, Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles, Super Paper Mario and several othe Wii games I have owned and played are still very traditional games and would be at home on any console ... Why am I an non-traditional gamer if I play them on the Wii?

Well, the OP is technically right ... but the source from which it draws is wrong.

Thus, the OP is either sloppy (did not bother to check the original source), or foolish (believing a secondary source which may have a bias without checking the original source), or intentionally trying to misdirect people (checked the original source but decided to make a thread which proved a point he wanted to make).

The quotes are from an interview with Mineo Koda in an interview with The Korea Herald. Koda is the chief executive of Nintendo Korea.

The interview is about Nintendo being recession proof and operating in the Korean environment. The offending quote was found at the end of the original story, almost a throw-away line. What it says to me is that the challenge is not the other consoles but getting people to consider console video games at all. For context, remember that South Korea is a very large PC gaming (especially on-line gaming -- MMOs) country.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Khuutra said:
dharh said:
Khuutra said:
dharh said:
Khuutra said:

What?

You can primarily game on the Wii and be a "traditional gamer". Don't be ridiculous.

I don't agree.  Completely new type of control scheme.  Games wildly different.  I honestly do not recognize very many Wii games as what I consider traditional.

Whether you recognize those games as "traditional" or not has nothing to do with anything. You haven't even defined the "traditional gamer" demographic which you claim the Wii precludes. The closest you can get is the description that Microsoft and Sony use for "hardcore", or (closer) what Nintendo calls the "core" demographic - and both of those can be describing people who primarily game on the Wii.

Well obviously its just my opinion and worth about as much as your opinion, which is to say whatever the going rate of our internet connections are.

I should think its also obvious that I think non-traditional games are games that emply motion control.  Also mini-games, or games casual if you will (though I don't like using that word anymore), non-game games (wii music, wii fit).

You are already fully aware of the changing definition of the word "casual" when applied to gaming, and how it used to be used to describe first person shooters, real time strategy games, GTA-style sandbox affairs, and so forth. Pretending that this has anything to do with what's "traditional" is ridiculous.

There is no such thing as "traditional" gaming unless you want to pull out a pen and paper and play some D&D. Every single generation, every single one, has brought around at least one paradigm shift in terms of what defined popular gameplay. The motion control revolution headed by the Wii is going to be the mosti mpactful since the advent of 3-D, but that does not make it any less "traditional" than Super Mario 64 was back in 1996, especially when those motion controls are applied to radically core titles.

Play Zack and Wiki, then try to tell me that it's not a "traditional" game because of the motion controls. Certainly you can say this, but you would be lying to yourself.

Quite adament.  I don't think we've had as much of a paradigm shift before.  Compared to this gen going from 2D to 3D doesn't even register in my mind.

As you point out, casual gaming's definition has been changing over time.  This is the same with traditional.  As I stated, it will eventually change.  It will be either narrower or wider to accomidate the times.

Just because its got Mario in the title and its a core game doesn't mean it is really comparable to previous iterations.  Mario Galaxy brought a whole new style to what was a stagnating series and that was motion control.  I truly believe motion control games to be a new way of gaming and at least for a while we can consider it not-traditional.

I wouldn't be lying to myself, but others can certainly disagree with me, just as you do.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
dharh said:
HappySqurriel said:
dharh said:
It's true anyway. Last gen traditional gamers (aka PS2 and XBOX owners) are primarily PS3 and X360 owners. Wii owners are either brand new gamers, nintendo fans, or non-traditional gamers. The fact is the console market has segmented right down the middle 50% wii and 50% PS3/X360. There is just not much crossover.

When this gen ends im going to own probably close to 50 PS3/X360 games and maybe 5 wii games.

Being that most Wii owners owned a previous generation console, and many of the best selling games on the Wii would sell amazingly well on the XBox 360 or PS3, I personally doubt that the Wii is full of "new" or "unconventional" gamers ...

Now, I've played videogames since the coleco, have owned multiple consoles in every generation since the SNES was released, and I used to be an avid PC gamer ... I own an XBox 360 and a Wii, and my XBox 360's primary use is as a media center extender and I play games on it about 1/4 as much as I play games on the Wii; the reason for this is simple, like many people my age I became burnt out on FPS and online competition almost a decade ago after playing endless hours of online multiplayer on the PC.

Just because you were a traditional gamer then, doesn't mean you are now.  You're definitely not a traditional gamer now.  Even as you say, you have an X360 but don't play it nearly as much.  I own a Wii but in reality its a dust collector, I wouldn't call myself a wii gamer.

It shouldn't bother people being labeled traditional for much longer.  Traditional will eventually include the Wii point of view, and if things get really good for Wii or Wii-style gaming, it will completely take it over and "Old Style" will become the niche instead of half the market.

Because in order to be a traditional gamer I have to play online FPS?

Shawn White Snowboarding, Mario Kart Wii, Super Mario Galaxy, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Super Smash Bros Brawl, Fire Emblem, Battalion Wars 2, Metroid Prime 3, Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles, Super Paper Mario and several othe Wii games I have owned and played are still very traditional games and would be at home on any console ... Why am I an non-traditional gamer if I play them on the Wii?

For me it's motion control.  Most of those are core titles, they were traditional in the past but now have a new style of gaming which is motion control.

Also the games you don't include wii music and wii fit are brand new non-traditional non-game games in their own right.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

bdbdbd said:
@Disolitude: The problem is, that the strategy M$ knows, works only when the competition is in a bad financial shape, or you can drive the competitor into one. Against Apple, Google and Nintendo, who all make good profit and doesn't need large share to make profit, they are practically immune to the strategy M$ is using, so in order for M$ to compete, they need to compete with the product itself (and this is where M$ have never been strong).

Since you think M$ could take out Google and Apple, i would like to hear how do you think they would do that? As far as i can see, their attempts have largely failed with integrated Live/MSN search, trying to buy Yahoo, ActiveX for example. To take out Apple, M$ would need to manufacture its own computers and sell them cheap. That would lead to a very bloody pricewar and M$ propably losing a number of its current customers, like HP, Asus or the likes, who'd put out their Linux computers and fight for the price just as well.

Google they are going after with Live Search. And while its not nearly as successful, they are gaining market share slowly. I work for a pretty large online advertising company that advertises on both...and while buying keywords on google is still the way to go, Live is getting a lot more bookings from us lately. Not the same volume obviously...more like 60% google, 20% live and 20% yahoo. But MS live is going up, and Yahoo is going down when it comes to advertising dollars...and advertising dollars is what this search war is all about.

As far as Apple, I don't think they need to go after the hardware, but the OS. And having apple computers being able to install Windows on each machine is a huge win for MS. They really don't need to take out Apples Macs as they are making them money.

Ipod is hard to take on as Apple customers are quite loyal. Ipod vs Zune is a clear example of a better product losing out to brand name product.

Also, while Iphone is doing phenomenally, one must remember that MS has windows mobile devices sold by many manufacturers, and while I don't have the exact stats, I believe they are still outselling Iphone. I could be wrong though.

What a lame attempt to make something out of nothing, Outcast! Everyone easily deciphered the meaning behind those words but you want to take them to mean something totally different only because it would be convenient for your fanboy arguments. Lame!

disolitude said:

I agree with the second part of the statement.

About the first statement however... the fact that Wii is so different from the other 2 make the those strategies completely irrelevant for Nintendo. They would have had to completely ignore Sony, and concentrate on Nintendo in making a cheaper, less powerful gaming system with uniqe control mechanism. That would have been lunacy back in 2004 since no one knew Wii is going to get big. Also, its not really where microsofts strengths are so I agree that they really don't have the means to go after nintendo now that I think about it.

But if that was the case, Sony would have a much bigger marketshare and MS and nitnendo would be duking it out for scraps...basically last gen all over.

Don't mean to pick on ya, but I don't see the reasoning behind that one.

Consider the current situation - why is the Wii missing out on so much third party support? If we took the 360 out of the picture, would things have turned out the same? Really, how many more consoles could Sony have sold by the end of 07? I can't see the number being that much bigger. The fact is, it's mainly the 360 that really put the HD market into its current (powerful) position.

Btw, just read your Ipod vs Zune comment above, and I think it's silly. Apple customers are loyal? I'm pretty sure most people with iPods have it as their only Apple product. These aren't Apple fans of some sort. It'd be like saying McDonalds is doing well because their customers are loyal.

I tells yah, it's 20 years ago all over again. In the technical sense, Nintendo is competing with Microsoft and Sony. All are 7th-gen game consoles, much like the Master System and the Atari 7800 were technically competition for the NES. However, Nintendo's focus is on fighting gamer apathy now, just as their focus was on fighting the PC (as a gaming device) back then

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.