By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What happens if games like Boogie and Dewy's Adventure keep bombing?

ckmlb said:

I agree with everything this person said, except I think Red Steal is downright bad and Brawl and Galaxy will never get bad reviews because there is a minimum level of quality that is expected of a sequel to good games unless they totally go in a differente direction and neither have done that.

What I'm more interested in than how Dewy or Boogie do is that developers don't convince themselves that the Wii is only good for casual games and 1st party stuff, that's why I wanted Dewy to do well and I wanted Boogie to bomb (among other reasons in the case of the latter).

Thanks ;) That's just the point, every fool would know Mario Galaxy and Brawl will get high reviews, but it's just a matter of "what if", just to say, because these titles are so populair they would sell anyway no matter the outcome of reviews. Just to compare how well known franchises sell and how bad new titles are being accepted by the gamers. Red Steel got pretty much hyped, if I'm not mistaken and since it was a launch title, people easily bought the game. I'm not so sure if the game would have sold just as much, if was released a few months later.

To be honest... I personally feel the same way about that. I also wished Dewy would sell well and Boogie not so good. Not because I don't wish EA to be succesful with Boogie, that would be ridiculous, but indeed, if it was only to show that the WII is capable of accepting any kind of games, except of the kind of games such as a Boogie and a Mario Party 8. But as pointed out before, if the lack of advertisement is the reason, for bombing, then we really should point out at Konami for being such a numskull. All before you know it I'm defending a game, which even will bomb hard in the US as well in the EU and is as "non" accepted by the reviewers in the West.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

Around the Network
famousringo said:
*~Onna76~* said:
*feel like talking to a wall around here*

In my experience, when nobody responds to what you say, it usually means that whatever you said was sensible enough that nobody can take issue with it.

So if you really want attention, say something controversial and/or unsubstantiated. ;)

That's the quote of the week. Very true.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Boogie is doing poorly because it panders to much to the casual. Don't they see the big third party games Red Steel and Resident Evil 4, sell well to the main hardcore wii audience. Rayman is casual and core so it did well. Remember in the 1st year of sales the majority are hardcore buyerss... and hardcore gameers don't buy boogie...

Why not add me on msn... ish_187@hotmail.co.uk

- - - > ¤ « ~ N i n t e n d o ~ » ¤ < - - -
Games purchased since December 30th 2006:
GBA:The Legend of Zelda:The Minish Cap
DS:Lunar Knights, Pokemon Diamond, The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass ,Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Hotel Dusk:Room 215, Mario vs DK 2: March of the Mini's and Picross DS
PS2: Devil May Cry 3:Dante's Awakening, Shadow of the Colosuss, Sega Mega Drive Collection, XIII , Sonic Mega Collection,Fifa 08 and Fifa 09.
GC:Fight Night Round 2
Wii VC:Super Mario 64 ,Lylat Wars ,Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, Super Castlevania IV, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Streets of Rage, Kirby's Adventure, Super Metroid, Super Mario Bros. 3, Mega Man 2Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting,Wave Race 64 and Lost Winds

Wii: Sonic and the Secret Rings, Godfather:Blackhand Edition, Red Steel, Tony Hawks Downhill Jam, Eledees, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Mario Strikers Charged Football,Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Super Mario Galaxy,House of the Dead 2 and 3 Return, Wii Fit, No More Heroes and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

X360: Spider Man
PS3:
Resistance: Fall of Man

By the way Boogie will sell loads in the UK when its released =(

DS:Lunar Knights, Pokemon Diamond, The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass ,Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Hotel Dusk:Room 215, Mario vs DK 2: March of the Mini's and Picross DS
PS2: Devil May Cry 3:Dante's Awakening, Shadow of the Colosuss, Sega Mega Drive Collection, XIII , Sonic Mega Collection,Fifa 08 and Fifa 09.
Wii VC:Super Mario 64 ,Lylat Wars ,Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, Super Castlevania IV, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Streets of Rage, Kirby's Adventure, Super Metroid, Super Mario Bros. 3, Mega Man 2Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting,Wave Race 64 and Lost Winds

Wii: Sonic and the Secret Rings, Godfather:Blackhand Edition, Red Steel, Tony Hawks Downhill Jam, Eledees, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Mario Strikers Charged Football,Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Super Mario Galaxy,House of the Dead 2 and 3 Return, Wii Fit, No More Heroes and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

PS3:

Ok. Here's my take...

OMFG THIS GAME SUCKS!
Oh, it's made by EA. Who cares.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Around the Network

I'll answer the tittle: They'll have to make better games.

@ GF Lol, yeh EA will but Dewys Adventure looks great...maybe that just needs more marketinggg...

PS3:

Hus said:
Or they need to give making REAL games a try, not this casual party mini game stuff. Straight up competing with Nin on a Nin console is suicide. They need to make games that Nin does not make.

I agree with this, because most company can't make the type of games that Nintendo makes and do it better. You have to make the games that Nintendo won't make or use names that are already known. That one reason RE4 sold so good but besides that it was a good game.  If 3rd party devs would stop trying to cash in and make a normal game it wouldn't sell so bad. As far Boogie selling EA was going off of the casual market, what people have to realize is that the casual market is mostly hear say. They don't look for the new game coming out they go buy something that a friend had and was fun to them.

The Wii itself sold and sells so well because of someone playing it over a friends house and thinking this is really cool I want this. "Hardcore" will look for when a new game is coming out that they like. I bet everyone on this forum know when the next 10 games they really want are suppose to come out (if they have a release date). I bet most casual gamers don't even know Boogie exist.

According to gamefly Boogie is slated for a PS2 release on Nov 15th '07.

http://www.gamefly.com/products/search.asp?k=boogie&pf=&sub=1&sb=mostpop&spsrch.x=0&spsrch.y=0

To Each Man, Responsibility

The OP's obvious intent aside, I do think this raises an issue with current 3rd party development on the Wii. They seem to be making great games, Dewy is a prime example of this, but then making them appear overly kiddie. The only way to get around that is to correctly and somewhat heavily advertise the game to its real audience and that hasn't happened.

As I understand it, Dewy is not exactly a game for kids. From what I've read it's a fairly challenging platformer. To most people it looks like a kids game so much of its real audience will ignore and those who buy it for their kids will find out they were mistaken and bad word of mouth will start. Zack and Wiki is another game in the same category. It's a very difficult adventure game for hard core gamers but if you look at it you'd never know that. So long as 3rd parties don't try to design their games more coherently or at least advertise them they are going to reduce their sales.

As for the OP's main points. Dewy isn't out in the US or Europe yet so it can't be called a bomb yet. Boogie is doing better than it should. It's a terrible new IP in a genre that is overflowing with already great established franchises. Two 3rd party games do not a trend make. Plenty of 3rd Party games have done well, RE4, Red Steel, RRR, Gundam, DQ:S, Pro whatever Baseball, Tiger Woods, etc. Smaller in sales but as I pointed out each week the 3 multiplat games from 7 weeks ago (Transformers, Bigs, and Harry Potter) have also done well on the Wii compared to the other systems. The Bigs will soon join Harry Potter in having its best selling version being on the Wii. Combined they have sold better per system than they did on the 360 and may even overtake the 360's total combined sales. So I don't think this indicates 3rd parties are doing a terrible job on the Wii or that Wii owners only buy Nintendo, it just shows 3rd parties need to be a bit smarter about how they design and market their games on the Wii.