By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What happens if games like Boogie and Dewy's Adventure keep bombing?

Personally I'd be far more worried if critically acclaimed expensive (to develop) games sold poorly ... Low quality, me too products developed on a shoestring budget are considered high risk and are expected to bomb.

In general third party developers are doing fairly well on the Wii inspite of producing mostly low quality original games and ports of PS2 games; the sales should encourage developers because (over time) few average or better games have sold so poorly that they haven't broken even.

Edit: I would also question whether you can say that it has "bombed" yet ... in its first week it outsold all PS3 and PSP games, and we really don't know how well it will sell over time.

Around the Network

were they released in along with big titles?

I think the main reason new titles bombed is because they are... new.
New titles needed some hyping in order to get the words out.

I personally won't buy a game w/o knowing what kind of game I am getting. Such as gene and gameplay dept.

famousringo said:
*~Onna76~* said:
*feel like talking to a wall around here*

In my experience, when nobody responds to what you say, it usually means that whatever you said was sensible enough that nobody can take issue with it.

So if you really want attention, say something controversial and/or unsubstantiated. ;)

Ha ha shall keep that in mind, in that case I'd rather have no attention at all then :P

@Roussounmanman, gosh long way to type it, "was" Wiigirl76 and yes I'm playing Dewy's Adventure and to me the game is pretty good! I personally find the game better than Elebits. If reviews will prove otherwise, I guess I am one of the only people around who probably appreciates the game. I don't bounce back for cutesy in a game. Yes it's utterly cute, absolutely true, but so is a LocoRoco, and that game sells pretty well, so cutesy has nothing to do with sales. I respect games which are unknown, new and unfamiliar and original, it's just the entire gaming userbase run for hyed games and populair franchises, no matter if they're seriously good or not. Same indeed with Okami. To me that game is one of "the'' most original PS2 games I've ever seen, together with an ICO.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

RolStoppable said:

What happens if games like Boogie and Dewy's Adventure keep bombing?

akuma587 will continue to make threads like this and say that he is worried about 3rd parties games on the Wii.

Honestly I think you hope to see reactions of rabid fanboys in response to your threads. If you really thought your concerns were absolutely legitimate you wouldn't need to conclude your OPs with:

I am asking this as a serious question, so please try to be moderately civil.

I am sure this thread will become a flame war, but this quote from Miyamoto is pretty telling about Nintendo's strategy.

My favorite quote is:

I have more of a problem with this that none of the Nintendo fans think it is even remotely possible that this could be a problem.

To quote Rol himself: Well said RolStoppable.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

Honestly I think this is a case of nothing the Wii can do will please everyone.  There is always going to be something for people to complain about.

As for this specific issue, I think it is a good thing when bad games bomb on the charts.  I won't say Boogie or Dewey is bad, since I haven't played either, but I will say they don't have immediate mainstream appeal and if the developers didn't take this into account when determining if the game could be profitable then that is their fault.  

Now my personal view of the two games in question is that boogie is just not for me, and with Dewey while the theme is not something that appeals to me, the fact that the game seems to be a comprehensive well thought out puzzle platformer definitely has me interested.  I think Dewey has a decent chance of doing fairly well over the holidays as parents pick it up for their young kids and hopefully find out that it is enjoyable for them as well.

On a side note, I have a feeling if the roles were reversed and a Wii fan had posted this on another forum we would be fully immersed in flame war by now. Glad to see folks not overreact for a change.

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network
*~Onna76~* said:
famousringo said:
*~Onna76~* said:

In my experience, when nobody responds to what you say, it usually means that whatever you said was sensible enough that nobody can take issue with it.

So if you really want attention, say something controversial and/or unsubstantiated. ;)

Ha ha shall keep that in mind, in that case I'd rather have no attention at all then :P

The bad thing is, he is kind of right. If you don't have an extreme position, you kind of get overlooked. Sometimes i wonder how much is argued here against an extreme position, especially if it gets off topic. I personaly think people here compare heavy casual and kidy titles to the heavy core / hardcore titles. If you have a new IP, the only way to have god sells is a good mouth to mouth propaganda. Thats just the way it is in the casual market, if the IP is new and not that good advertised. Only a good appealing games help. Don't know boogie is that, but could be in the little girl market though.

Look at brain training. OK it has not boomed the first week, but its just sells and sells, being arround the top twenty 70 weeks and counting. It had arround 70k the first week, and know 70 weeks later, its still about 20k. Casual titles, and titles on a "casual console" have long legs, if (and only if) they are fun. 

Mario Party sells, because of die hard Nintendo fans, well known franchise and mouth to mouth propaganda.  Consider that Mario Party is new to some Wii owner, considering they didn't had a cube or N64, and heck its fun. Thats what matters in that market.

Just_Ben said:
*~Onna76~* said:
famousringo said:
*~Onna76~* said:

The bad thing is, he is kind of right. If you don't have an extreme position, you kind of get overlooked. Sometimes i wonder how much is argued here against an extreme position, especially if it gets off topic. I personaly think people here compare heavy casual and kidy titles to the heavy core / hardcore titles. If you have a new IP, the only way to have god sells is a good mouth to mouth propaganda. Thats just the way it is in the casual market, if the IP is new and not that good advertised. Only a good appealing games help. Don't know boogie is that, but could be in the little girl market though.

Look at brain training. OK it has not boomed the first week, but its just sells and sells, being arround the top twenty 70 weeks and counting. It had arround 70k the first week, and know 70 weeks later, its still about 20k. Casual titles, and titles on a "casual console" have long legs, if (and only if) they are fun. 

Mario Party sells, because of die hard Nintendo fans, well known franchise and mouth to mouth propaganda.  Consider that Mario Party is new to some Wii owner, considering they didn't had a cube or N64, and heck its fun. Thats what matters in that market.

Your right explosively, agressive reactions screams for attention. Though, I'd rather keep on acting normal, for as far you can call it normal, than behave myself to a level in where I should be utterly ashamed of myself, only to get attention....

Yes, that's what I said as well, so I agree with you. LocoRoco is also a utterly cute game, very good and probably well advertised as that game sold pretty good. New titles need a lot of attention to interest gamers to buy. I'm not entirely sure if this is the case in Japan with Dewy, but it's odd that this game is one of the worst selling WII games, while it's actually good and solid. I haven't seen much advertisment on Japanese websites,for that matter. Treasure Island Z / Zack & Wicky on the other hand gets a lot of attention on websites such as Famitsu, Dengekionline and Watch.Impress. So you can understand how anxious I am to see how that game will sell in it's first week. In about 2 months we will find out, as the release is planned on October the 25th.

The thing is with Brain Training, it got a lot of media attention, also in commercials, at least over here. I remember when the first Brain Training game released here in the Netherlands it was even all around the news about the question if a video game really could train your memory. Of course Neurologists said it was... surprisely enough.... "nonsense". Still, it makes people interest in the game, and most of all thanks to commercials on television.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

white devil said:
I'm loving this pattern of bad games bombing. It alleviates my fear that Wii was gonna be a gimmick where devs get away with crappy games that utilize the wand. Now maybe they'll start making more good games.

Say what now? Dewy looks like a great game, a good platformer with good mechanics and original moves. Boogie I agree with, but the 'bad games' are actually selling well (See Mario Party 8).

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

*~Onna76~* said:
misteromar said:
They will just have to make better games if they wanna sell more. Simple. The markets is their for rhem to make decent sales. Red Steel and Rayman sold very well.

It has nothing to do with a game being good or not, but since like a Dewy is a new title and with lack of advertising, of course the game won't sell. And again, that game "isn't bad" at all!! But people rather buy hypes. Even if a Mario Galaxy or Brawl will get low review scores, the games will sell.  Mario Party 8 isn't all too good according to reviewers, but does sell ridiculously well and not to imagine a WII Play and even a dumbass Brain Academy (US alone over 160.000 already). Here they throw around with commercials about that idiotic game. Forever Blue seems to be a good game, but doesn't sell all too well either in Japan and that... for a Nintendo title! Of course it has now the problem of having 2 nasty bugs, but Nintendo has resolved that and people can exchange their copy. Rayman is a solid game but not great and Red Steel I have no idea but I hear a lot of mixed feelings about that game and reviews show the game ain't all too good. Plus these titles were launch titles, which helps a lot in sales.

I agree with everything this person said, except I think Red Steal is downright bad and Brawl and Galaxy will never get bad reviews because there is a minimum level of quality that is expected of a sequel to good games unless they totally go in a differente direction and neither have done that.

What I'm more interested in than how Dewy or Boogie do is that developers don't convince themselves that the Wii is only good for casual games and 1st party stuff, that's why I wanted Dewy to do well and I wanted Boogie to bomb (among other reasons in the case of the latter).

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

ckmlb said:
white devil said:
I'm loving this pattern of bad games bombing. It alleviates my fear that Wii was gonna be a gimmick where devs get away with crappy games that utilize the wand. Now maybe they'll start making more good games.

Say what now? Dewy looks like a great game, a good platformer with good mechanics and original moves. Boogie I agree with, but the 'bad games' are actually selling well (See Mario Party 8).

I don't get why people think MP8 is so horrible.  Its not the best game in the series by a long shot, but it can still be a lot of fun with friends.  Actually if they had enabled WiFi support it probably could of been one of the better games in the series just for that.  The game is way way more fun with other people.

They could of improved in a few areas, but it really isn't that bad, I think it's an issue of we expected them to do a lot more with the controls for the minigames. 

To Each Man, Responsibility