By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What happens if games like Boogie and Dewy's Adventure keep bombing?

This is a very serious question.  Boogie just missed 20k copies last week in the U.S. (by far the largest single market).  I saw some advertising for the game on the web, and I heard of some on the television as well.  I don't even know if those first day sales can cover the advertising costs.  Not surprisingly, E.A. just announced a PS2 version as well.  Dewy's Adventure sold less than 15k its first week in Japan as well and all but disappeared after that.

Boogie got browbeated by the reviewers, but so did Mario Party 8.  Albeit Boogie did get worse reviews as far as I can tell (4.5 from a generous site like IGN says a lot), Mario Party 8 is not a perfect game by any means.  However, it is made by Nintendo and is selling very well.

I am not saying third party games can't succeed on the Wii.  There are several examples, including Red Steel, Rayman: Raving Rabbids, and Resident Evil 4: Wii edition (this one did sell solely on the merit of the game itself which had already been around for over a year), and various others.  But is this absolute indifference of consumers towards some games that are obviously more oriented toward casuals going to push developers back to the 360 and the PS3? 

The holiday should be more telling when we have numbers for games like Soul Calibur: Legends and Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles.  We should pay a lot of attention to new third party IP's too, like Zack and Wiki.

Please add your thoughts.  I am asking this as a serious question, so please try to be moderately civil.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network

I won't give my opinion yet, but I predict things will not be civil.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

I would be more concerned if we saw a pattern where really good games did not sell on the Wii. If your a 3rd party who makes junk and then it does not sell why should you be surprised. Even if your talking a suit they can do their research, as in read a few game reviews, and realize that they are not making a quality product. I think this looks more like consumer indifference to crap than it does consumer indifference to casuals.

Proud member of the Sonic Support Squad

It's not a pattern yet. Boogie got mixed/bad reviews, and I expect Dewy to get mixed/good reviews. But Dewy isn't even out in America yet, so we can't totally judge sales performance yet.

Also... Boogie is a "casual" game but Dewy is a "kiddie" game, not "casual." Get it right! :P

Hopefully both games do well enough when all is said and done.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

I'm loving this pattern of bad games bombing. It alleviates my fear that Wii was gonna be a gimmick where devs get away with crappy games that utilize the wand. Now maybe they'll start making more good games.

Around the Network

I agree with the taco.

I think you'll see Zack and Wiki do better because it's actually fun, and RE:UC because it's a solid effort with a legendary franchise behind it.

When you have powerhouse 1st-party games, half-assed cash-in software from 3rd parties doesn't stand up very well by comparison.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

I agree that things could look better after the holiday season is done, but this is certainly not a good start to this "wave of Wii support" we are supposed to see in the future.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

well hopefully they learn that if you release crap, no matter what system its on it aint going to sell.....
unless its a movie or established series tie in

also think that if boogie was released on any other console it would of bombed just as hard....

First of all Dewy is a good game, so shut up you people who say Dewy is a crappy game while you even haven't played it. In Dewy you'll need to puzzle here and there as well and is IMO quite a steady adventure / platform game. I can't explain why Dewy sold so badly in Japan as it doesn't deserve it IMO. Perhaps yes, when Dewy will get low reviews in the West I might be the only one who think otherwise. I find it strange Boogie didn't sell that much though... since the fact it's a uber casual / party game?! So much for my theory about the WII being a party console shown by sales :=/ Then again, Boogie is a new franchise, Mario Party is a long running franchise and therefore far more known by the gamers and despite the low scores, it sells anyway.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo