By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What happens if games like Boogie and Dewy's Adventure keep bombing?

Soriku said:
jstam said:
also think that if boogie was released on any other console it would of bombed just as hard....

Actually, there's rumors it might go to the PS2. But if it did it'll fail just as hard.

I am interested to see how it does on PS2.  Also notable is that this is the first Wii to PS2 port I can think of.  Correct me if there is another one.

The "Kiss Your Old Hard Nintendo games thread" I made awhile ago was because I was pissed off at Nintendo, and it definitely came from a more fanboyish intent than this thread did.

I did not say anything that isn't supported by actual data in the charts in my original post, and it includes counterexamples such as Red Steel, Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition, and Rayman: Raving Rabbids.

I don't like the Wii, but I don't hate it.  I purposefully tried to make the original post as fact-oriented as possible as to avoid bias.  As I said before, I would still like to see how established franchises do, like Soul Calibur: Legends and Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles (better gauge than RE4 cause it is a Wii exclusive, IMO).

Both Boogie and Dewy's Adventure had UNUSUALLY bad opening weeks (and following weeks for Dewy's), which is why I made this thread.  I actually thought of another example too while I was typing this,the Harvest Moon game released awhile ago on the Wii in Japan.  That franchise may have not been a blockbuster in the past, but it usually posts respectable numbers.  This time it did not on the Wii.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network

I just want to say one thing about MP8, this game was made for the GC and ported to the wii with motion controls, the same thing has happened with lots of titles so far. This is why people have bashed MP8, the game is pretty much the same thing that came out for the N64, its like a sports title. Each year they make one and add some new stuff to it but not enough to give it a great rating, unlike sports games that focus more on graphics to sell it, MP8 can't do that.

I'm sure the game is fun and great for people that have never played the game before, but it does not do enough for people who have played the game each year. I also heard that the fun games are very hard to get when playing the game and most times you get stuck with crap ones.

I find the best reveiwers are the guys from EP, they suit me and the games i play and give great advice on good games.

Dewy hasn`t been released here in first place. And well, maybe devs will see that kiddy stuff may not be the best option for Wii games. Some Teen and M games have already sold well, why not try that instead of a style that Nintendo executes far better?

I think these small budget titles (relatively) really can not be looked too closely upon for any trends. The big important trend to look at is when really large budget, large team size, multi-year projects games, hyped and preferably non-new IPs get released.

Lets face it, new IPs, even if they're great and epic and screams greatness, have a high chance of failure due to numerous factors beyond the control of the game quality.

We won't be able to tell the status of 3rd parties until games like RE:UC, or No more heroes or even NiGHTs. You have to look at the more high profile games to get a good idea because these are the ones the publishers and developers are putting their money and hopes on to do well. Its these big titles that will make them change their mind on whether they will continue or go somewhere else.

Same can be said for 360 and PS3. I bet a lot of developers looked at the sales of GoW and said, this validates the investment we're making and then look at sales of NGS/VF5 and worry a little.

As long as the Nintendo Wii keeps selling, good third party games will come. The real question is, how long before the PS3 runs out of titles it snatched with nothing more than the momentum of the PS2 before it was launched.

“The Hardcore of the Peach is its pits. Try to get the whole fruit!”

- John Lucas

“Every industry is filled with the grave stones of companies who kept doing the same thing.”

- Reggie Fils-Aime

“You don’t play Graphics, you look at them.”

- Unknown

“Casual Gaming = Anything that’s not an FPS”

- Sony Fandom

Around the Network
Sporticus said:
As long as the Nintendo Wii keeps selling, good third party games will come. The real question is, how long before the PS3 runs out of titles it snatched with nothing more than the momentum of the PS2 before it was launched.

Could you... like... maybe... try to not ruin this thread? Veeeeery flamy post you just made right there and very off-topic.

I really don't think Dewy's Adventure should be considered a low budget game. It's nothing huge like MGS but it's the biggest effort Konami has put onto the Wii so far. The game has been in development longer than Elebits and the producer was given a lot of artistic room so I think it was actually a fairly significant investment by Konami. They can't be pleased with how it's doing in Japan.
It's mostly the poor advertising that is hurting these games. It really is the publisher's fault because these original IP's will not sell themselves without significant hype and advertising. Unfortunately I doubt they will realize this and will instead blame the game or the audience.

akuma587 said:
Soriku said:
jstam said:
also think that if boogie was released on any other console it would of bombed just as hard....

Actually, there's rumors it might go to the PS2. But if it did it'll fail just as hard.

I am interested to see how it does on PS2.  Also notable is that this is the first Wii to PS2 port I can think of.  Correct me if there is another one.

The "Kiss Your Old Hard Nintendo games thread" I made awhile ago was because I was pissed off at Nintendo, and it definitely came from a more fanboyish intent than this thread did.

I did not say anything that isn't supported by actual data in the charts in my original post, and it includes counterexamples such as Red Steel, Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition, and Rayman: Raving Rabbids.

I don't like the Wii, but I don't hate it.  I purposefully tried to make the original post as fact-oriented as possible as to avoid bias.  As I said before, I would still like to see how established franchises do, like Soul Calibur: Legends and Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles (better gauge than RE4 cause it is a Wii exclusive, IMO).

Both Boogie and Dewy's Adventure had UNUSUALLY bad opening weeks (and following weeks for Dewy's), which is why I made this thread.  I actually thought of another example too while I was typing this,the Harvest Moon game released awhile ago on the Wii in Japan.  That franchise may have not been a blockbuster in the past, but it usually posts respectable numbers.  This time it did not on the Wii.

I might be wrong about this, but I think I saw a Tony Hawk Downhill Jam on the PS2 shelf at a game store.  That's at least one Wii to PS2 port

Here's a video from my band's last show Check out more (bigger) videos here http://www.youtube.com/user/icemanout
rubido said:
Sporticus said:

Could you... like... maybe... try to not ruin this thread? Veeeeery flamy post you just made right there and very off-topic.

You've read me all wrong. I'm not trying to ruin the thread by any means and my comments are quite on topic, just not in the vein of the current discussion. I'm sorry if my wording was poor, I'll give you that, but the fact remains that if we're talking about third party titles, we're going to have to look at a larger perspective here in terms of the factors affecting them. We know developers were caught off guard by the Wii. We know not every kiddy game or mini-game compolation is going to sell well or for that will this genre be the sole backbone of the Wii's continued success. The problem with this thread is people are approaching the situation from the perspective that the Wii only has kiddy mini-games and that is all it will ever get and all that it will ever want and this is a problem or perception and approach. That's a very naive and dated view, and a crutch comonly used by those frustrated by the Wii's success. Instead of looking at issues from the limited microchosm of Wii's poor third party support, let's look at them from the bigger picture of why the third party support is the way it is and where it is aimed towards going. Using the PS3 as a comparison is just that, a comparison, not a recompensatory whiping boy of sorts to vent frustration over the Wii's questionalbe titles.

That aside let's look at the acute factors of this specific debacle.

EA is not a great developer, we all talk about how much they suck to no end but the second they make a game for the Wii that underperforms, people act like its the end of the Wii.

Konami is not known for advertising their games, especially not on a console that isn't Sony owned. Further more, just because they make a fun innovative game doesn't mean that it is garanteed to sell. How many "promising" games have underperformed on the 360 and PS3. Further more, how many "promising" games on the 360 and PS3 have bombed in Japan? I make no garantee Dewy's Adventure will be a runaway hit in the West, but it is somewhat premature to call doom and gloom for the Wii over its limited success in one of the three major markets.

“The Hardcore of the Peach is its pits. Try to get the whole fruit!”

- John Lucas

“Every industry is filled with the grave stones of companies who kept doing the same thing.”

- Reggie Fils-Aime

“You don’t play Graphics, you look at them.”

- Unknown

“Casual Gaming = Anything that’s not an FPS”

- Sony Fandom