By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 had best lineup for holidays,Wii had worst = Wii sells 4 times more.

BTFeather55 said:

The Wii isn't selling so well because it appeals to the masses. Or because of it software library which isn't that great aside from a few games. It is selling as well as it does mainly because of the word of mouth it generated by the fact that it was hard to come by during Christmas '06 and '07. I do believe it was engineered on Nintendo's part to generate sales for the system. Now, the Wii fans will come on and say I'm totally wrong about that. However, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that folks aren't out to get you.

As has already been pointed out, that is a pretty silly conspiracy theory ... After all, how do you smash sales records by manufacturing a shortage that lasts over 2 years?

Now, a long time ago I read that one of the most reliable ways to get someone to buy your product is for them to have personal experience with the product that was introduced by someone they consider a friend ... This is why companies like Avon operate the way that they do. The Wii has capatalized on this because it was bought in many households by a gamer and "Non-Gamers" within the house also became interested in the Wii; many of these Gamers and "Non-Gamers" introduced the Wii to their friends who continued the viral growth of the Wii.

Around the Network
Maynard_Tool said:
Ps3 has the best games for the gamers???? [R U kiding me???]

Pfffffff speak of yourself. IMO, nintendo has the best games for gamers.... who is right???

Ridiculous.

Can't people understand that it all comes down to personal opinion????

Let me say this differently. Nintendo did the profitable thing by marketing to the casual and non-gamers. Gamers who play videogames benefit by owning a Wii so they can play with their family and non-gaming friends who refuse to deal with the complication of serious games (IE: FPS, Action/adventure, RPG). As opposed to the wii the PS3 stayed true to the hardcore gamers. 

lol @ "serious games" = FPS, Action/adventure, RPG

HappySqurriel said:
BTFeather55 said:

The Wii isn't selling so well because it appeals to the masses. Or because of it software library which isn't that great aside from a few games. It is selling as well as it does mainly because of the word of mouth it generated by the fact that it was hard to come by during Christmas '06 and '07. I do believe it was engineered on Nintendo's part to generate sales for the system. Now, the Wii fans will come on and say I'm totally wrong about that. However, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that folks aren't out to get you.

As has already been pointed out, that is a pretty silly conspiracy theory ... After all, how do you smash sales records by manufacturing a shortage that lasts over 2 years?

Now, a long time ago I read that one of the most reliable ways to get someone to buy your product is for them to have personal experience with the product that was introduced by someone they consider a friend ... This is why companies like Avon operate the way that they do. The Wii has capatalized on this because it was bought in many households by a gamer and "Non-Gamers" within the house also became interested in the Wii; many of these Gamers and "Non-Gamers" introduced the Wii to their friends who continued the viral growth of the Wii.

The only thing is during those first two Christmases, the Wii was wanted by a lot of people that had no personal experience with it other than hearing News reporters say that it was the hot Christmas item and next to impossible to find in stores.  Also, a lot of those people that had their demands for the Wii heightened this way didn't know one console's strength's from another.  So, when they learned the Wii was $250.00 while the PS3 was $600.00 naturally, they wanted to get a Wii.  Other than these things, the other factor in the Wii's sales was Nintendo's brandname and strength of their characters eg. Mario and Legend of Zelda.  Sony never really had any characters that became as popular as those except for Final Fantasy.  In a way, it is possible to trace Nintendo's resurgence and Sony's weakening back those early days when Square games started to appear on the GBA.

Heavens to Murgatoids.

lol.... this is just.... no point on going. Live and enjoy your lives people.

Around the Network
Simulacrum said:

I don't think that you can say Sony didin't do all they could when you look at what games were released during Holiday season,Resistance 2,Motorstorm 2,Valkyria Crhonicles,LittleBigPlanet,Singstars,Fallout 3,Gh4,Cod5 and others...

While Wii had Animal Crossing,Gh4,Tales,Castlevania,Wii Music,Cod5,Sonic..

Its no more about price,because Xbox 360 is now cheapest.So what?I don't know.Old games?Maybe,since Wii fit and Mario Kart Wii have sold over 10 million...But still I can't find answer.

Well, 360 had:

Gears of War 2, Fable 2, Left4Dead, Banjoo Nuts & Bolts, Lips, Last Remnant, Infinite Undiscovery, Falout 3 (exclusive DLC) + the rest of the multiplatforms.

So, I have to give the 360 the win on this one. All  of the PS3 exclusives were sales disapointments anyways.

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Maynard_Tool said:
Ps3 has the best games for the gamers???? [R U kiding me???]

Pfffffff speak of yourself. IMO, nintendo has the best games for gamers.... who is right???

Ridiculous.

Can't people understand that it all comes down to personal opinion????

Let me say this differently. Nintendo did the profitable thing by marketing to the casual and non-gamers. Gamers who play videogames benefit by owning a Wii so they can play with their family and non-gaming friends who refuse to deal with the complication of serious games (IE: FPS, Action/adventure, RPG). As opposed to the wii the PS3 stayed true to the hardcore gamers. 

Do you mean the PS2 was not also aimed at the casual market? If you do, I don't agree: Singstar, Buzz and so on. I mean some of the mass appeal games include GTA. It just doesn't appeal as much to millions of older and more female gamers.

Yes.

www.spacemag.org - contribute your stuff... satire, comics, ideas, debate, stupidy stupid etc.

NERDZ AT WAR! You guys need 2 chill, they're just videogames geez. Play the damn systems instead of arguing about them.

Damn things have changed since 2009 began. Here are my new visions for the end of the generation.

Wii: 135 mil

Ps3: 85 mil

360: 60 mil

True Genius

....I figured something out,but I think it deserves thread.
But other things.
"Ps3 has the best games for the gamers???? [R U kiding me???]

Pfffffff speak of yourself. IMO, nintendo has the best games for gamers.... who is right???"

Sure,we are all diffrent.But when people don't try games themselfes,get the opinion from themselfes,they go for reviews,internet,personal opinions from friends.
Then again, if game like Valkyria Crhonicles gets 9.0,and you don't like what you see,ofc you won't buy it,but if some close friend,who has about same games as you,you surely at least try it.
Then we have low reviewed game like Wii fit.But its very unique.Everyone in world can play it.Casual.I liked it as well.
Then we have Mgs 4,higly reviewed game,which is about only for fans.Hardcore.Old times.

And when we combine Wii,low price,games that everyone can play,with unique and innoative as its puplic picture,it sells.
Then we have PS3,with Playstation name from last generations,with new IP:s (not that its bad),smashing price,some UFO Cell,it sells pretty poorly.

Well life goes on.I can't hate Wii for that.

Take my love, take my land..

leo-j said:
Oh well what can you do, to people Carnival games, and BABYZ are much better than LBP, GEARS 2, or MGS4!

LBP I agree on.

MGS4. no. I played the remake Twin Snakes on the GameCube and I was still completely lost on Snake's whole backstory. I would have had to play the ancient Metal Gear games on the NES if I wanted to understand what the ____ was going on.