By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 had best lineup for holidays,Wii had worst = Wii sells 4 times more.

wait what happened to the "wii isnt competing with the ps3"?

Around the Network

They should have released MGS4 this holiday, things could have looked much better

Khuutra said:
BTFeather55 said:

The Wii isn't selling so well because it appeals to the masses. Or because of it software library which isn't that great aside from a few games.   It is selling as well as it does mainly because of the word of mouth it generated by the fact that it was hard to come by during Christmas '06 and '07. I do believe it was engineered on Nintendo's part to generate sales for the system. Now, the Wii fans will come on and say I'm totally wrong about that. However, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that folks aren't out to get you.

Yes, but it means you have no actual reason to think that they are.

Everyone is always out to get everyone else.  Haven't you ever heard William Burrough's Every Man a God?

Heavens to Murgatoids.

Simulacrum said:

I don't think that you can say Sony didin't do all they could when you look at what games were released during Holiday season,Resistance 2,Motorstorm 2,Valkyria Crhonicles,LittleBigPlanet,Singstars,Fallout 3,Gh4,Cod5 and others...

While Wii had Animal Crossing,Gh4,Tales,Castlevania,Wii Music,Cod5,Sonic..

Its no more about price,because Xbox 360 is now cheapest.So what?I don't know.Old games?Maybe,since Wii fit and Mario Kart Wii have sold over 10 million...But still I can't find answer.

Sony hasn't done all they can. Sony is going about gathering casuals the wrong way. Nintendo did the job properly and cleanly and Microsoft is getting the picture slowly but surely. Nintendo has the best games for the mass market (run by casuals and usual non-gamers who will play for the sake of playing a party game) while PS3 had the best games for the gamers. Who is the minority there? I'll leave that for you to find out.

BTFeather55 said:

The Wii isn't selling so well because it appeals to the masses. Or because of it software library which isn't that great aside from a few games.   It is selling as well as it does mainly because of the word of mouth it generated by the fact that it was hard to come by during Christmas '06 and '07. I do believe it was engineered on Nintendo's part to generate sales for the system. Now, the Wii fans will come on and say I'm totally wrong about that. However, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that folks aren't out to get you.

I do not know if you are being sarcastic hear or not.

But if it is selling through word of mouth, doesn't it prove that people love it and the games so much they recomend it to a friend?

I don't know... maybe... it seems you are the expert.

Nintendo & Sony Supporter

Currently own- DS, PSP, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, PS3 DreamCast.

Man i have too many consoles..... 

Quotes to live by!

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing"- Helen Keller

"i am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"-Thomas Edison

"Man is not the creature of circumstancesCircumstances are the creatures of men"

Around the Network

Ps3 has the best games for the gamers???? [R U kiding me???]

Pfffffff speak of yourself. IMO, nintendo has the best games for gamers.... who is right???

Ridiculous.

Can't people understand that it all comes down to personal opinion????

BTFeather55 said:

You're telling me that Nintendo has smashed all the sales records by intentionally withholding stock?  You do realize that makes no sense.  The stock had to be there in the first place to sell as fast as it did.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Showertea said:
Usul said:
peachbuggy said:
How is it some of you people still can't grasp this? How many times do you have to be told/ proven wrong? The definitive yardstick of a game's quality is its commercial success. There's no better way to gauge a game's quality than how the public vote with their wallets. That's it. If you don't agree then that's your OPINION. But it would appear you are in the minority. Nuff said.

Quality is reflected by commercial success? Not sure. Like comercial Hollywood films... most of them are rubbish for the masses.

Basically, the way I see it, Wii is the big budget hollywood blockbuster like The Dark Knight, raking in tons of money.The HD Consoles are the strange independent films: A nun and a clown, sobbing in black and white for fifteen minutes, then they smoke a cigarette, then it says 'Fin' and the movie's over.
Anyone who says that The Dark Knight is better than Le Clown Sobbing is an idiotic plebian idiot plebian. Plebian. Who doesn't have any taste for the finer parts of cinema. Also they are a plebian.

And this is probably the best post to reply to.  It sums up the level of snobbery displayed on forums like this.  It shows the presumptiveness videogame hobbists have as to what the masses should or should not like.  Everyone should, according  videogame hobbists, playing real games, like "Resistance 2" where they move their thumbs on a controller, instead of getting Wii Fit and using it to lose weight while having fun.  Likewise, people with brains should be playing Final Fantasy on the PSP, rather than doing Spanish Tutor on the DS.

All ths stuff is toys.  No matter whether or not it involves waving a wand or mashing buttons with your thumb, it is still toys.  Oh, nice glorous toys some appear to take FAR too seriously.

steven787 said:
The comparison of The Dark Knight to Le Clown Sobbing (a fictional movie that represents critically acclaimed, but unpopular movies) is ill conceived. Dark Knight received critical acclaim and is popular.

I think a comparison that is more fitting would be (though, neither can really fit in to any category all of the time- for example Wii Sports' reception has soured over the years from the hardcore critics):

Hard Core/High Brow: So many that I can't think of a specific one right now.
Good reception all around: Halo series, Mario Kart, MGS, Final Fantasy, Call of Duty
Pop: Wii Sports, Generic FPS that sell 500k+, Madden (again, Madden and Wii Sports get good reviews but then the critics bitch about it all year), Carnival Games
Crap: Imagine Babyz.

Okami comes to mind as a "hard core/high brow" title.  ICO and Shadow of the Collosus is probably two others.  Pretty much things that get universally high ratings but don't do great blockbusters in sales.  Games that are just weird would fit into this also.   Some of Treasure's weird games also would be candidates.

colonelstubbs said:
Its because the wii offers something different, thats what it is. When people get over the motion controls, thats when things might change

So, games like Rock Star and Guitar Heroes wll suddenly disappear off the face of the planet?  Do you expect motion control to no longer be relevant in games?  And the normals in the world will get over and do what, go back to joypad controllers?

Why is someone who likes to do golf on the Wii going to stop doing it and go back to a joypad controller to play golf?  And why is someone who likes to golf, or bowl, or do a Wii sports game, going to stop doing that to play the next GTA, Gears, or Metal Gear?