By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Alan Wake Vs. Heavy Rain

We've seen solid gameplay from Heavy Rain, an entire side level was display as the tech demo and we know roughly what the control will be like (R1 is to walk for example). The atmosphere of the side story is ACE and if the main game has a longer story and equally involving story then I'm sold. I also love the feature being taughted where if the main character dies, the game continue and you somply switch to another of the cast, that would be so awesome if pulled off the right way.

Alan wake also look fantastic, but we've seen nothing of the gameplay itself so I'll hold my tongue until more substance is revealed. I hope the PC version isn't just a direct poorly executed port, I'd like it to have some good optimization because I'm certain the grapihc would be even better on a decent PC.

Around the Network

Kinda hard to judge them, without more footage.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

mibuokami said:
We've seen solid gameplay from Heavy Rain, an entire side level was display as the tech demo and we know roughly what the control will be like (R1 is to walk for example). The atmosphere of the side story is ACE and if the main game has a longer story and equally involving story then I'm sold. I also love the feature being taughted where if the main character dies, the game continue and you somply switch to another of the cast, that would be so awesome if pulled off the right way.

Alan wake also look fantastic, but we've seen nothing of the gameplay itself so I'll hold my tongue until more substance is revealed. I hope the PC version isn't just a direct poorly executed port, I'd like it to have some good optimization because I'm certain the grapihc would be even better on a decent PC.

Actually, that feature has already been announced.

Riachu said:
mibuokami said:

Actually, that feature has already been announced.

Um yes, it has been announced, which is why I said I love the feature, however no one knows how it will be implimented yet, do you get to choose who you want to be? Is it random? is it a new character or someone else already in the game etc etc? There is a lot of room for stuff-ups especially with a game that is so story driven. Which is why put the 'if pulled off the right way' disclaimer.

I'm more interested in Alan Wake at the moment.

Part of the reason for that though, stems from the fact that I haven't seen nearly as many videos or screens for it as Heavy Rain. In a sense then my imagination has created a game which future screens and gameplay videos are unlikely to live up to.

Curse you imagination!

Around the Network

Slimebeast said:
blazinhead89 said:
@Slimebeast, OMG, Both look great, stop being a fanboy

Yes, both look really great. Graphically maybe Heavy Rain even has the edge (what you pick from trailers at first glance, but looking closely everyone shuld realize Heavy Rain lacks view distance and other graphical aspects). But that is completely different than overall quality.

Heavy Rain will be a similar disappointment like so many PS3 games. Not Lair bad, but this game really is fooling people with those nice trailers right now.

Anyone wanna bet a 1 month ban against Alan Wake getting at least 10% higher score on Gamerankings and selling at least 2.5 times more than Heavy Rain? 

Hi, I'll take that wager.

Before we make this official, two things - minimum number of reviews & period of sales time.

I'm thinking maybe 25 for the former but not sure what the usual figure is for the latter (perhaps 6 months?).

wholikeswood said:

Slimebeast said:
blazinhead89 said:

Yes, both look really great. Graphically maybe Heavy Rain even has the edge (what you pick from trailers at first glance, but looking closely everyone shuld realize Heavy Rain lacks view distance and other graphical aspects). But that is completely different than overall quality.

Heavy Rain will be a similar disappointment like so many PS3 games. Not Lair bad, but this game really is fooling people with those nice trailers right now.

Anyone wanna bet a 1 month ban against Alan Wake getting at least 10% higher score on Gamerankings and selling at least 2.5 times more than Heavy Rain? 

Before we make this official, two things - minimum number of reviews & period of sales time.

I'm thinking maybe 25 for the former but not sure what the usual figure is for the latter (perhaps 6 months?).

lol m8, reveal your true identity first. With an account with a whoppin 1 (!) posts you essentially have nuffin to lose.

U'r smurfin, reply again with your true nick name plz.

The conditions for the bet are fine though.

I don't know how anyone can claim one game is going to score better than the other, given that both developer's previous games always scored in the low to mid 80s on metacritic, and we haven't seen enough (read: anything) of Alan Wake to make any sort of judgment of how good it's going to be.

Personally, Heavy Rain appeals to me more. Alan Wake is an open-world action/horror game, and I'm just not a fan of horror games. Heavy Rain's narrative based gameplay, however, excites me.

Slimebeast said:
wholikeswood said:

Slimebeast said:
blazinhead89 said:

lol m8, reveal your true identity first. With an account with a whoppin 1 (!) posts you essentially have nuffin to lose.

U'r smurfin, reply again with your true nick name plz.

The conditions for the bet are fine though.

I don't have any other accounts on here.

I joined in May but then realised I didn't know enough to enter debates and analyses, so I have been biding my time and learning the ropes.

A moderator is welcome to do an IP check or whatever would be required to prove that I have no other account on VGC.

I'm glad 25 reviews & 6 months suits you. May the best man win (once you're happy about my identity, of course).