Onyxmeth said:
Riachu said:
Onyxmeth said:
Riachu said:
Onyxmeth said:
Riachu said:
Onyxmeth said:
BTFeather55 said:
Heavy Rain seems to be approaching the 5 star David Lynch / Alfred Hitchcock level of things and I would suspect that there is much more to the game than QTE events while Alan Wake seems more approaching the more 3 1/2 - 4 star Jon Carpenter side of things and actually seems kind of like a homage to his film Out of the Mouth of Madness.

I don't know about that. Games have barely passed the Michael Bay mark yet and you think this game can compete with a Hitchcockian masterpiece or David Lynch mindbender? That's quite a leap sir. I too think Heavy Rain could be one of the best videogame stories ever told, but that is merely not comparable with the top movie stories. At least that's my opinion.

How have games barely passed the Michael Bay mark?

Average performances, lots of one-liners, explosions, dealing in action, etc. I'm not speaking on every game out there, but this fits most of them. Some have advanced a bit further but nowhere near the levels of masterful movie directors.

I think we can blame a lot on the story hating Western developers. One of them even told Warren Spector to never metion the word 'story'.

I'm not pointing fingers. I'm just telling it like I see it. There is nothing in gaming remotely in the same league as a good Hitchcock or Lynch film.

Just asking but where would you put MGS4?

I haven't played it. I've played the other four games in the storyline and outside of Portable Ops, which was a poorly made story, the other three are near the top of the class. They would all make my top 10 most likely. None are approaching masterpieces in film though in regards to story. MGS1 had the best moments, followed by 3 and then 2, but in regards to pacing it would go 3, 1, 2. As you can see, MGS2 is my least favorite storyline wise. The ridiculousness swerved from awesome to retarded far too often for my liking.

I think you're attaching to much importance to the quality of stories in movies.  Few are actually very good.  And as far as putting down the stories in games because they tend to be action oriented, I don't know how a film like The Dark Knight would be any different.

Heavens to Murgatoids.

Around the Network

Uncharted 2 beats em both

I dunno, they both look pretty good :P I'm going to give the edge to Heavy Rain on this one, but I dunno... I just don't know enough about either @_@ And to be honest, neither one of them is on my "must grab" list. As of now Alan Wake seems to be targeting a genre that's familiar, where as Heavy Rain is trying something new. Depending on execution either one could be "better".

But they both look pretty!

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

heavy rain >>Uncharted 2 >= killzone >>>>>> Geow 2 > uncharted > others ....

BTFeather55 said:
Heavy Rain seems to be approaching the 5 star David Lynch / Alfred Hitchcock level of things and I would suspect that there is much more to the game than QTE events while Alan Wake seems more approaching the more 3 1/2 - 4 star Jon Carpenter side of things and actually seems kind of like a homage to his film Out of the Mouth of Madness.

It is 'In the Mouth of Madness'.

Around the Network
BTFeather55 said:
Onyxmeth said:
Riachu said:
Onyxmeth said:
Riachu said:
Onyxmeth said:
Riachu said:
Onyxmeth said:
BTFeather55 said:

I don't know about that. Games have barely passed the Michael Bay mark yet and you think this game can compete with a Hitchcockian masterpiece or David Lynch mindbender? That's quite a leap sir. I too think Heavy Rain could be one of the best videogame stories ever told, but that is merely not comparable with the top movie stories. At least that's my opinion.

How have games barely passed the Michael Bay mark?

Average performances, lots of one-liners, explosions, dealing in action, etc. I'm not speaking on every game out there, but this fits most of them. Some have advanced a bit further but nowhere near the levels of masterful movie directors.

I think we can blame a lot on the story hating Western developers. One of them even told Warren Spector to never metion the word 'story'.

I'm not pointing fingers. I'm just telling it like I see it. There is nothing in gaming remotely in the same league as a good Hitchcock or Lynch film.

Just asking but where would you put MGS4?

I haven't played it. I've played the other four games in the storyline and outside of Portable Ops, which was a poorly made story, the other three are near the top of the class. They would all make my top 10 most likely. None are approaching masterpieces in film though in regards to story. MGS1 had the best moments, followed by 3 and then 2, but in regards to pacing it would go 3, 1, 2. As you can see, MGS2 is my least favorite storyline wise. The ridiculousness swerved from awesome to retarded far too often for my liking.

I think you're attaching to much importance to the quality of stories in movies.  Few are actually very good.  And as far as putting down the stories in games because they tend to be action oriented, I don't know how a film like The Dark Knight would be any different.

Your problem here is assuming that everyone shares the opinion that The Dark Knight is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I'm not of that crowd. TDK has it's own issues, but I will not derail this thread going into them.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

I'm more interested in Alan Wake. By looking at the trailers, videos and news, Heavy Rain looks very boring.

Is this thread more about which people are more hyped for? Because we really don't know NEAR enough about either to start picking sides (unless this is a console war thing).

They both appear to be games that are far from mainstream and likely somewhat experimental. That being the case, these are two of the biggest titles coming for the 360 and PS3 that could both sell more like LBP and Too Human. Lets hope that, assuming both are quality games, they are not released during an overly crowded, busy holiday season ...

no real gameplay footage from alan wake............some gameplay footage from heavy rain, so at the moment heavy rain looks the better.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

the Alan wake game looks more interesting