By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony:We can't survive without more layoofs,demand will be low for long time

@SMcc1887: So if someone asks a question about a hypothetical scenario, they're automatically saying that scenario has a high probability of happening?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

@ SMcc1887
Now you're overreacting. The question sounded like this "If Sony went bankrupt, what would happen to the PS3 etc."

Notice the "if".
The only reason the question is being asked anyway, is because we know Sony is knee deep in shit at the moment, and they can't continue the way they do now.

NJ5 said:
@SMcc1887: So if someone asks a question about a hypothetical scenario, they're automatically saying that scenario has a high probability of happening?

Not always, but in this case yes. I don't believe someone would create a scenario like that unless they believed it was a possibility.

look, im obviously gona get grilled left right and centre in this discussion, so i'l back out. I just think there quite some reaction over a very ordinary event in these times. What other 180,000 workforce company would not be cutting jobs at the moment? Yes Sony will probably shrink slightly, but people shouldn't fear for their Playstations life because of reports like this.

SMcc1887 said:
NJ5 said:

Not always, but in this case yes. I don't believe someone would create a scenario like that unless they believed it was a possibility. th

No I think the problem is you're taking Kitler's question way too personally. What led to you determining he believed it was a possibility or are you just stuffing false ideas about people onto this thread? So point it out to me, where on Kitler's response confirms he actually believes it would be a possibility?

"kitler53 said:
okay,.. so hypothetical situation: sony goes bankrupt.

What would happen to things like the ps3, blu ray format, sony pictures, ect?"

-=Dew the disco dancing fo da Unco Graham=-

Around the Network

Looks like adjustments need to be made and some ends will be cut...

4 ≈ One

Grahamhsu said:
SMcc1887 said:
NJ5 said:

Not always, but in this case yes. I don't believe someone would create a scenario like that unless they believed it was a possibility. th

No I think the problem is you're taking Kitler's question way too personally. What led to you determining he believed it was a possibility or are you just stuffing false ideas about people onto this thread? So point it out to me, where on Kitler's response confirms he actually believes it would be a possibility?

"kitler53 said:

^that.

i was in no way trying to bash sony.  it's just that in this economy all companies are in danger of going bankrupt and sony is certainly no different.  i just ditched my 360 in favor of my new ps3 and i was just curious of a hypothetical "in what way could this effect me?" scenario cause honestly i didn't/don't understand how things like that would turn out.

mesoteto said:
ChronotriggerJM said:
@Meso Actually, as far as I know, the Gaming division is still profitable :P

The PS3 was definitely part of the problem I agree, but the gaming portion of that had little to do with anything I feel. The push for blu-ray probably wasn't the gaming departments goal, the invention of the Cell chip probably wasn't the gaming division's goal, and creating a virtual marketplace or essentially the Sony store was beneficial to most branches.

As far as I know the Games themselves are still selling pretty well and probably still bring them income :P

see i thought the game  sector was still not breaking even due to recovering from teh launch and dev of teh ps3.....even if the ps2 is still making bank

Gaming sector is the fastest growing sector now despite the operation loss.  Breakeven is forecasted but not yet reached.  The PS2 is also not making the company "bank" anymore.  They have cited growth to PS3 and PSP.  The fall in PS2 support, fall in PS2 software sales and Fall in PS2 hardware sales indicates it could be scrapped and resources shifted to the PS3/PSP areas.

More importantly this entire situation is being experienced across the board when it comes to electronics businesses.  There has been a global fall in demand for electronics for nearly a year and it is not expected to rise in 2009 at all.  In order for the demand to rise, he global markets need to reach a bottom and recover to an extent the consumer can see, interpret, and rally on.  electronics companies are on the out this year, but it will recover as a whole in the future.  The question is, how many companies are reacting (Sony obviously is) and are they too late to react?  Survival of the fittest for the tech industry.

Grahamhsu said:
SMcc1887 said:
NJ5 said:

"kitler53 said:

I doubt the japanese govt is gonna let SONY, probably the biggest corporate icon of japan, die. There is bound to be a lot of asset selling, layoffs,restructuring, cost cutting that will save the firm. SONY is a premium hardware maker but it does own some budget electronic companies- namely "AIWA". They must be relieved they severed off HD-DVD last year, coz any existence of that would have meant nothing but complete doom for blu-ray.

Overall, I see them cutting flab and coming back. A $299 ps3 would be great and probably get the ball rolling. They have a rumored reported Ipod touch killer about to be launched which will have an OLED screen.. yup.. so theyr not sitting on their asses!

EDIT: just read up that "AIWA" is obsolete now.. oh well :)

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business