By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony:We can't survive without more layoofs,demand will be low for long time

NJ5 said:
DirtyP2002 said:

Wow talking about surviving in such a context... so Sony is in the same situation like Ford, Chrysler and General Motors? Is there a possibility that sony has to be closed? I actually can not believe I am asking this question.

Don't know how much equity is left after this year.

Last I checked, they had around $7 billion in cash. They have much more than that in other assets (office buildings, factories, intellectual property etc.), but the value of these assets might turn out to be smaller than they think if they sell them during the current economic conditions.

Anyway, $7 billion in cash doesn't last for very long in a company with their dimension if their small profit margins turn into small/medium loss margins. Finding creditors is not easy either, since they already have more than $10 billion in debt (checked in google finance). Who in their right mind will lend Sony a lot of money before they prove they can restructure their company for profitability?

equity is not an asset *edit* speaking about the aktiva here, if u know what i mean. Hope this is the right word in english^^

But besides the value, which is true, the assets must be financed, so it will be hard to sell them. And the 7 billion is not cash, it is bound to the mentioned assets. And you are right with declining equity and not a positive view for the coming years, it will be very hard to find creditors or you have to pay a whole lot of interest

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network
mesoteto said:
^i don't think doomed is the right word...just getting back in touch with reality after having come down from the pedistal

Ahh, i see. k lol was getting a lil worried there.

DirtyP2002 said:
NJ5 said:
DirtyP2002 said:

Wow talking about surviving in such a context... so Sony is in the same situation like Ford, Chrysler and General Motors? Is there a possibility that sony has to be closed? I actually can not believe I am asking this question.

Last I checked, they had around $7 billion in cash. They have much more than that in other assets (office buildings, factories, intellectual property etc.), but the value of these assets might turn out to be smaller than they think if they sell them during the current economic conditions.

Anyway, $7 billion in cash doesn't last for very long in a company with their dimension if their small profit margins turn into small/medium loss margins. Finding creditors is not easy either, since they already have more than $10 billion in debt (checked in google finance). Who in their right mind will lend Sony a lot of money before they prove they can restructure their company for profitability?

equity is not an asset

But besides the value, which is true, the assets must be financed, so it will be hard to sell them. And the 7 billion is not cash, it is bound to the mentioned assets. And you are right with declining equity and not a positive view for the coming years, it will be very hard to find creditors or you have to pay a whole lot of interest

I think we're on a different page. I was replying to the first paragraph of your post, not the second.

$7 billion is cash, it's on their balance sheet.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

FishyJoe said:
colonelstubbs said:
As i said in the other thread, have nintendo reported any layoffs, or have i just missed these stories?

Nintendo only has 3700 employees. Sony has 180,000.

In addition, Nintendo has one of the highest profit per employee ratios in the world of all companies not just video games companies.

Um, now my dream is to work for Nintendo.  O-O

Proud Owner of: 

250gig FFXIII SE Xbox 360, 250gig Xbox 360 S, black Wii, 120gig PS3 Slim, soon to be 3DS *___*

perpride said:
Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
So sony really is doomed then? that looks pretty harsh to me. o_o'; ...

Doomed is a really gloom way to put it. The company employs close to 180,000 people so what we have seen so far is a 5% drop. Sony has survived through every other economic downturn since 194_. Things will hopefully get better when the world economy comes out of this slump.

I see. alright then lol least im not freaked out anymore. :P

Around the Network

they will go thru what the big nin did,, get to full of them selves...check....find out they can drop the ball...check...release a a new dream and refresh the game....not checked yet

NJ5 said:
DirtyP2002 said:
NJ5 said:
DirtyP2002 said:

equity is not an asset

I think we're on a different page. I was replying to the first paragraph of your post, not the second.

$7 billion is cash, it's on their balance sheet.

ah didn't know that. so they have 7 billion cash and 7 billion equity? strange.

*edit* nevermind, my reading skills suck today :D u wasn't talking abput equity at all^^

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Ail said:
FishyJoe said:
colonelstubbs said:
As i said in the other thread, have nintendo reported any layoffs, or have i just missed these stories?

Nintendo only has 3700 employees. Sony has 180,000.

In addition, Nintendo has one of the highest profit per employee ratios in the world of all companies not just video games companies.

Goldman Sachs had the highest profit/employee in 2007, they lost 2.1 billion $ last quarter.

Things can change fast...

Nintendo was second... so I guess they're first now.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

Sony needs to find focus. They are too spread out in too many divisions none of which are doing terribly well. They need to redefine what Sony is as a company (primarily) and work at doing that extremely well and pretty much dump everything else that isn't pulling it's own weight.

@Gamer Ace

I agree :P They have SO many hands in so many things xD They should just push them all into one single R&D division :P

And they can scap they're movie sector >_>;;; Sony movies haven't been all that great recently to my knowledge.

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.