By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony:We can't survive without more layoofs,demand will be low for long time

http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid={9236BB23-C823-40F7-9B2C-3A0C333A2177}&siteid=yhoof2

NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- Sony Corp. may make further restructuring moves, including adding more job cuts to its recent round of layoffs, according to a Kyodo news service interview with the company's President Ryoji Chubachi published Thursday. The Japanese firm said last week it would cut 16,000 jobs, but Chubachi said more steps -- including further lay-offs -- may be needed. "With only these measures, we cannot fully survive the current economic situation," he told Kyodo. Chubachi said business conditions are getting worse, with demand for its consumer appliances falling, especially since late November, a trend which he said "would not be a temporary but a long-lasting one." He also said Sony would have to reassess its goal of expanding its personal computer, Blu-ray Disc and semiconductor operations into "trillion yen businesses" by March 2011.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

Semiconductor operations? Didn't they sell their stake in the Cell to Toshiba. What other semiconductor operations do they have?

Hopefully these cuts help improve Sony's current situation.

Troubling news indeed :P

I have a feeling many of Sony's off beat R&D divisions are going to get canned.

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Darc Requiem said:
Semiconductor operations? Didn't they sell their stake in the Cell to Toshiba. What other semiconductor operations do they have?

http://products.sel.sony.com/semi/pdctguid.html

CCD Image Sensors
Laser Diode ICs
High-Speed Synchronous SRAMs
Mixed Signal System ICs
Optical Communications ICs
TV / Multimedia ICs
Wireless Communications ICs

Around the Network

Wow talking about surviving in such a context... so Sony is in the same situation like Ford, Chrysler and General Motors? Is there a possibility that sony has to be closed? I actually can not believe I am asking this question.

Don't know how much equity is left after this year.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

God, how many products do Sony corp currently have hands on? :P I knew they had a bunch of stuff, but I didn't know half of that xD

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

As i said in the other thread, have nintendo reported any layoffs, or have i just missed these stories?

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

ChronotriggerJM said:
God, how many products do Sony corp currently have hands on? :P I knew they had a bunch of stuff, but I didn't know half of that xD

Their electronics division is huge... Remember those huge recent layoffs, they were "merely" 5-10% of their employee base.

In one or two years Sony will be a smaller company though. How smaller I don't know, but they have to cut significantly more in order to get profitable. Those recent layoffs only save them $1 billion a year which is not enough.

colonelstubbs said:
As i said in the other thread, have nintendo reported any layoffs, or have i just missed these stories?

Nintendo only has 3700 employees. Sony has 180,000.

In addition, Nintendo has one of the highest profit per employee ratios in the world of all companies not just video games companies.