By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will PS3 eventually pass 360?

PS3 has Japan and EMEAA secured. America is another story. However, i think its still possible. The gap has been going back and forth between 4 and 5 mil for some time now. This is WorldWide. The thing is that 360 is cheaper, and the cheaper console tends to sell more. And another thing, in America there are a lot of sales that go to parents that don't know anything about video games. They will see the 360 bundled with kinect and a game for $300 without realising that it only has a 4GB harddrive and that they will have to pay for LIVE supscriptions. The PS3 sitting next to it will cost $300 as well but has no game or motion controlller, but has a 160GB Harddrive, but as i just explained, the clueless parent won't care. so its small things like that that give it the edge. If Sony either gets a bundle going or drops the price (which i don't see them doing anytime soon because they just started making a profit on each console) sale will go up. Wait for the holidays to pass, and i think PS3 might start outselling 360 on a weekly basis again.

Around the Network
greenmedic88 said:
daroamer said:
Shaman said:
daroamer said:
9087 said:

Sony still has a $199 price drop in it's pocket all those huge exclusive games

How would MS combat that?

Which huge exclusives would those be?  GT5 was the biggest exclusive they had and it didn't even manage to get the PS3 to outsell the 360 on launch it's week. 

They have a lot of exclusives next year but the only one I would consider huge is Uncharted 3, and Uncharted 2 still only sold 4.23 million so far.  Gears 3 will easily beat U3 in sales.

Killzone 3?  While Killzone 2 was a graphical beast it's only sold 2.51 million so far.  Hardly a system mover, especially this late in the generation.

So which of Sony's exclusives next year are going to push it past the 360?

dont think they need another "GT5" like game to push them above 360....

last 2009  they didn't have a exclusive that sold as much as ODST yet they still outsold 360 by a mile I'd say price cut is definitly more helpful.

Price cut coupled with the release of the slim, they don't have that again.  Even the 360 slim model boosted sales significantly for the 360 WITHOUT a price cut.  The 360 hasn't had a price cut since 2008, they can afford to go much lower than the PS3.

It's irrelevant because they won't.

All personal opinions and favorites aside, I'm sure you know that if one platform gets a $100 price drop, the other will follow suit. There will be no "if the PS3 drops to $199, then Xbox drops to $149." MS already has their lower priced SKU in the 4GB, so it's a non-issue.

Neither company wants a price war at this stage considering undershooting competitor price would result in lower margins rather than higher marketshare.

At best, expect to see a $50 price cut on Kinect and Kinect bundles in 2011, and only if Kinect adoption rates drastically lose their momentum (which I am not banking on currently).

If Sony makes a $50 or $100 price cut, MS will follow. Realistically MS will make the $50 price cut first, and have an additional $25-$50 off Kinect bundles, and Sony will follow. So $250 for a 360 Elite, or a PS3, $325 for a 360 Elite Kinect Bundle, or a PS3 Move bundle. That seems about fair, but MS will also have a $150 Arcade model, and a $225 Arcade Kinect Model.

I think this whole argument of a PS3 price cut to $199 is flawed. The biggest boost in sales seen were when both consoles dropped to $300, and Sony's was only so prominent because they released a Slim PS3 along with their price cut, right before the holiday season.  If both consoles drop in price, it will only likely be $50 and will affect both consoles equally.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Shaman said:

Nah right now its highly probable that it will happen than back in 2007-2008, its more hoping in back those year but now its more of a when will it happen.

I've absolutely no idea what you just said.

over the last few years i have cast necro on this thread to see where we were at each christmas and to enjoy past predictions. who could imagine how tight this race would at this point? also wow vgc has changed ore the years

i hope we can keep it civil again, and that the mods do not lock the thread.

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

4 years later still not passed, but much closer however.

Buying in 2015: Captain toad: treasure tracker,

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

Around the Network

once the next generation of consoles comes the ps3 will continue to sell because of bluray

2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013

Someone had to write it ;)

And still, it hasn't happened. Might happen once the next round of console wars starts. From a perspective of console support, does it matter now who sells what? It is now later in the game, and next gen is being discussed.

4 years on and it still hasn't happended, then again in my opinion, it's not ever going to happen, Microsoft just like Sony can still cut the price, exclusives are still being worked on, and there are still regions in which Microsoft can release the Xbox 360 where it still has not.

I just don't see it happening. // See ya'll next year in this thread :P

Millenium said:
4 years on and it still hasn't happended, then again in my opinion, it's not ever going to happen, Microsoft just like Sony can still cut the price, exclusives are still being worked on, and there are still regions in which Microsoft can release the Xbox 360 where it still has not.

I just don't see it happening. // See ya'll next year in this thread :P

2012 will be a good year :)

X360 is selling so friggin' good that I even start to doubt that M$ will cut the price the next year.