By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will PS3 eventually pass 360?

no and who really cares. 360 can have a 20 million lead for all I care.

Around the Network
donsterydo2 said:
Millenium said:
4 years on and it still hasn't happended, then again in my opinion, it's not ever going to happen, Microsoft just like Sony can still cut the price, exclusives are still being worked on, and there are still regions in which Microsoft can release the Xbox 360 where it still has not.

I just don't see it happening. // See ya'll next year in this thread :P

2012 will be a good year :)

X360 is selling so friggin' good that I even start to doubt that M$ will cut the price the next year.

Well while they can definitely have a great year next year, which I think is great,

I don't think the exclusives & potential new terretories are gonna be enough to keep it up YoY in comparision to this year, they'd be wise to cut the price by $50 next year, cause currently we've only got Halo 4 confirmed which will be a system seller (Let's be honest everyone, it will).

Anyways, I'm confident they'll make the right decisions. :)

Reminds me of that Blu-Ray sales thread where everyone was predicting dvd to be dead by 2008 or 2009 and yet Blu-Ray is barely attaining a 25% marketshare lately.

WII Code: 1732 3363 1704 6441

Easily, it's called time and with the power of passing time it will happen.

spurgeonryan said:

how is this post even still going? It takes forever just to scroll to the end. Even with the bundles I think dvd still has another strong year or so. But if the PS3 is still doing well be then ...then the blueray part will have a bigger effect. Right now the kinect beat the move, so xbox is winning.

XboX outselling PS3 has nothng to do with Kinect or Move. It's selling more simply because it's selling more.

Gaming Away Life Since 1985

Around the Network

well the ps3 has already passed xbox in sales IMO. xbox has been out 6 years and 60m sold. (33% of the 60m ppl had to buy another xbox cuz of rrod but w.e). PS3 5 years and 57m~. Sony Fanboy 4 Life.

Millenium said:
donsterydo2 said:
Millenium said:
4 years on and it still hasn't happended, then again in my opinion, it's not ever going to happen, Microsoft just like Sony can still cut the price, exclusives are still being worked on, and there are still regions in which Microsoft can release the Xbox 360 where it still has not.

X360 is selling so friggin' good that I even start to doubt that M$ will cut the price the next year.

Well while they can definitely have a great year next year, which I think is great,

I don't think the exclusives & potential new terretories are gonna be enough to keep it up YoY in comparision to this year, they'd be wise to cut the price by $50 next year, cause currently we've only got Halo 4 confirmed which will be a system seller (Let's be honest everyone, it will).

The one thing people got right about this thread was that eventually PS3 annual sales would hold above 360's. With Black Friday PS3 is only 750k ahead of 360, and that might shrink to 500k lead, but it's still a lead.

In 2012, even with Halo 4, and a price cut, PS3 will likely outsell 360, but again, not by much.

IF PS3 does ever manage to outsell 360, it will be after the next gen is well on its way, and it will be only because PS3 is sold in remote countries with small volumes of sales, and in those countries the next gen will arrive later, so people will continue to buy PS3's even though the rest of the world has moved on.

However there is a chance that might not ever happen. 360 outsells PS3 annually in the combined Americas/EMEAA region, when PS4 releases, PS3 sales in Japan will likely crash (like DS's did when 3DS came out). Without Japan, 360 is a better selling system. The reason why Japan would crash harder is just the way their gaming community works. Games sell boatloads week 1, and then struggle, and old consoles die off faster then in Americas (Where DS is still selling decently) and EMEAA.

Anyway, it's good that you brought back this thread. This thread serves as a hallmark to how people on this website give PS3 way too much credit, and 360 not enough. It's funny to see a general conclusion in 2007, that PS3 will overtake 360 in 2008. Boy were they wrong, that was a strong year for 360.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Michael-5 said:
Millenium said:
donsterydo2 said:
Millenium said:

The one thing people got right about this thread was that eventually PS3 annual sales would hold above 360's. With Black Friday PS3 is only 750k ahead of 360, and that might shrink to 500k lead, but it's still a lead.

In 2012, even with Halo 4, and a price cut, PS3 will likely outsell 360, but again, not by much.

IF PS3 does ever manage to outsell 360, it will be after the next gen is well on its way, and it will be only because PS3 is sold in remote countries with small volumes of sales, and in those countries the next gen will arrive later, so people will continue to buy PS3's even though the rest of the world has moved on.

However there is a chance that might not ever happen. 360 outsells PS3 annually in the combined Americas/EMEAA region, when PS4 releases, PS3 sales in Japan will likely crash (like DS's did when 3DS came out). Without Japan, 360 is a better selling system. The reason why Japan would crash harder is just the way their gaming community works. Games sell boatloads week 1, and then struggle, and old consoles die off faster then in Americas (Where DS is still selling decently) and EMEAA.

Anyway, it's good that you brought back this thread. This thread serves as a hallmark to how people on this website give PS3 way too much credit, and 360 not enough. It's funny to see a general conclusion in 2007, that PS3 will overtake 360 in 2008. Boy were they wrong, that was a strong year for 360.

We'll agree to disagree, I still firmly believe Xbox 360 will outsell PS3 this year. :)

We can definitely agree on the fact that people here were (And still are) way to fast to dismis the 360, and yes 2008 was a good year, in my opinion the turning point they needed, from that point onwards their Entertainment Devision has rised and rised for 3 years in a row financially.

And I do believe if next-gen kicks into gear late 2012/ early 2013, that will cut of the PS3 from catching up, especially if Microsoft decided to (Perhaps next year) release the 360 for a good price in terretories where currently the PS3 & Wii have free reign. 

Will be interesting to see what comments we can make about this next holiday. ;)

Millenium said:
Michael-5 said:
Millenium said:

We'll agree to disagree, I still firmly believe Xbox 360 will outsell PS3 this year. :)

We can definitely agree on the fact that people here were (And still are) way to fast to dismis the 360, and yes 2008 was a good year, in my opinion the turning point they needed, from that point onwards their Entertainment Devision has rised and rised for 3 years in a row financially.

And I do believe if next-gen kicks into gear late 2012/ early 2013, that will cut of the PS3 from catching up, especially if Microsoft decided to (Perhaps next year) release the 360 for a good price in terretories where currently the PS3 & Wii have free reign. 

Will be interesting to see what comments we can make about this next holiday. ;)

Well, the most important thing we agree on is that 360 can't be dismissed so easily.

Regardless of whether 360 or PS3 take overall sales lead for 2011, it doesn't matter, 360 is still doing a lot better then most forum users thought it would have, and this is probably why many users have abaondoned this thread (people don't like to be wrong).

In the long run, anything can happen. There is a chance PS3 could top 360, there is a chance it won't. No one can really be certain, but we all know that overall PS3 and 360 sales will be close.

Lol, already looking to next Holiday, this holiday isn't over yet!

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

I think at this point, it's pretty much irrelevant to anyone other than those who are still cheerleading their favorite console.

If/when it ever happens, it wouldn't even matter as absolutely nothing at this point would create any sort of parity shift in terms of platform support, short of either MS or SCE simply stopping all production and support of the 360 or PS3, which simply isn't realistic.

So now it's arguing over who will win the game when the outcome is for all intents and purposes determined, only to be continued over the next game/generation of consoles.

By the time the final numbers come in, the 8th gen will already be in anywhere from its 2nd to possibly even 4th year or beyond, making the argument over the 7th gen even less relevant than it is today.

Besides, by sales number alone, the Wii already "won" even if it did so with arguably the worst software line up of any console generation "winner."