By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will PS3 eventually pass 360?

If sony passes 360 it won't be due to pricecuts or specific exclusives. No matter what price sony sets on the PS3, microsoft can easily sell their 360s for less since there is no way sony will sell PS3s at a loss again. Exclusives are overrated in terms of helping the HD system's sales. Multiplatform games are the best selling in almost every single genre for both HD systems.

It will come down to the growth of the EMEAA market over the next few years compared to the Americas market. Where America growth will help 360's lead and EMEAA growth will help PS3 catch up with Japan helping ps3 of course but the Japan console market will probably shrink over the  next few years.

Around the Network

I love how this dicussion is still going on.  3 years later and PS3 is still 3rd.  Also funny to read peoples predictions aka hopes of PS3 taking 2nd place in 2008.

Not to hate because I love my PS3 but it's funny to see people still hoping it will take 2nd.

tripleb2k said:

I love how this dicussion is still going on.  3 years later and PS3 is still 3rd.  Also funny to read peoples predictions aka hopes of PS3 taking 2nd place in 2008.

Not to hate because I love my PS3 but it's funny to see people still hoping it will take 2nd.

Nah right now its highly probable that it will happen than back in 2007-2008, its more hoping in back those year but now its more of a when will it happen.

daroamer said:
9087 said:

Sony still has a $199 price drop in it's pocket all those huge exclusive games

How would MS combat that?

Which huge exclusives would those be?  GT5 was the biggest exclusive they had and it didn't even manage to get the PS3 to outsell the 360 on launch it's week. 

They have a lot of exclusives next year but the only one I would consider huge is Uncharted 3, and Uncharted 2 still only sold 4.23 million so far.  Gears 3 will easily beat U3 in sales.

Killzone 3?  While Killzone 2 was a graphical beast it's only sold 2.51 million so far.  Hardly a system mover, especially this late in the generation.

So which of Sony's exclusives next year are going to push it past the 360?

dont think they need another "GT5" like game to push them above 360....

last 2009  they didn't have a exclusive that sold as much as ODST yet they still outsold 360 by a mile I'd say price cut is definitly more helpful.

Shaman said:

last 2009  they didn't have a exclusive that sold as much as ODST yet they still outsold 360 by a mile I'd say price cut is definitly more helpful.

Again not necessarily. Kinect currently is making the Xbox360 outsell PS3. PS3 has had the most rent price cut. Your reason for this = ?♦♠

Bet with Conegamer and Doobie_wop 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Around the Network
Shaman said:
daroamer said:
9087 said:

Which huge exclusives would those be?  GT5 was the biggest exclusive they had and it didn't even manage to get the PS3 to outsell the 360 on launch it's week. 

They have a lot of exclusives next year but the only one I would consider huge is Uncharted 3, and Uncharted 2 still only sold 4.23 million so far.  Gears 3 will easily beat U3 in sales.

Killzone 3?  While Killzone 2 was a graphical beast it's only sold 2.51 million so far.  Hardly a system mover, especially this late in the generation.

Price cut coupled with the release of the slim, they don't have that again.  Even the 360 slim model boosted sales significantly for the 360 WITHOUT a price cut.  The 360 hasn't had a price cut since 2008, they can afford to go much lower than the PS3.

i think so

ok heres the scenerio -for the one saying somthin about a 199 ps3,

by the time ps3 finally reaches 199,99

wii would only cost 99 dollars,

could be 50 bucks with wii hd in that same year

microsoft would charge 139 for 360

so much for your little 199,99 scenerio

daroamer said:
Shaman said:
daroamer said:
9087 said:

Price cut coupled with the release of the slim, they don't have that again.  Even the 360 slim model boosted sales significantly for the 360 WITHOUT a price cut.  The 360 hasn't had a price cut since 2008, they can afford to go much lower than the PS3.

It's irrelevant because they won't.

All personal opinions and favorites aside, I'm sure you know that if one platform gets a $100 price drop, the other will follow suit. There will be no "if the PS3 drops to $199, then Xbox drops to $149." MS already has their lower priced SKU in the 4GB, so it's a non-issue.

Neither company wants a price war at this stage considering undershooting competitor price would result in lower margins rather than higher marketshare.

At best, expect to see a $50 price cut on Kinect and Kinect bundles in 2011, and only if Kinect adoption rates drastically lose their momentum (which I am not banking on currently).

MS will drop price when they see either Sony dropping price or softening of the market for Kinect.  When they do this is what I suspect.

I suspect PS3 will only drop $50.

HDD version of 360 will sell for $249.99.  HDD size will be adjusted this year to be most cost effective size drive.
Flash version of 360 will drop to $149.99.  Memory size could also be adjusted to 8GB based on cost effectiveness.
Kinect will drop to $99.
Kinect bundle with flash 360 will drop to $224.99. 
Kinect bundle with HDD version of 360 will drop to $324.99.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.