By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What console do you think will sell the most units by the end of this gen?

The PS3 will only seriously be viable for as long as the 360 is. Once Microsoft and Nintendo move on, so too will the developers. The whole 10 year PS3 thing was based on the PS3 having a large enough userbase to warrant developer effort to write for it exclusively, as they have done with the PS2. That does not exist any longer, and most developers write their games for both PS3 and 360 so that there is a large enough market for their games.

A PS3 price drop is only part of the problem Sony has to overcome. A much bigger one is shelf space. When I go to stores, I see large shelf sections for the 360 and the Wii, but not for the PS3. This makes a very large impression on buyers who don't want to be caught missing out on the action. It's becoming very obvious to average consumers that Sony is struggling this generation, and the customer confidence they were counting on for selling the PS3 is now largely gone. People are figuring out that the 360 has most of the games PS3 does, the 360 has more games, and the 360 runs the games that are available for the PS3 just as well as the PS3 does. So unless people still fundamentally believe the PS3 is going to catch up to the 360, when that price comes down, there won't necessarily be a massive swing to the PS3's favor. That faith in Sony's ability to come back is fading quickly.

Around the Network

b..b..b...but the ten year lifecycle!

bb.bb.bbb....bluuu ray!

price drop!

when ______ is released!

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8

well wii will win in sales, but to be honest with u i dont play sales i play games.............and looking at 2009 previews ps3 has all the games i want.

i belive this gen will end much much longer compared to before.

id say

wii = 140 million

ps3 = 100 million

360 = 70 million

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

kowenicki said:
@ skeeuk so when will those sales figures be achieved by???

it will be a long time yet, theres just no way a new console will come out in next 2 years

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

You're ****ing kidding, right?

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
badgenome said:
Chrizum said:
Gearbox said:
the 360 doesnt have a chance for second imo. i think the wii will be around 75 mil at best, ps3 prolly at 80

I agree, though I don't think the Wii will manage to sell that much. I mean, what store will be willing to sell a console with no DVD player and with the graphics capabilities of an N64?

I think the Wii will stop selling in about 3 months, so probably around 35 million (yes, VGCharts heavily overtracked the Wii).

PS3 probably already is past 30 million by now, considering Blu Ray and everything. In my class everyone has a PS3, no one has a Wii or 360.

The 360 only sold so much because of RROD, but now it's fixed the 360 won't sell anymore. Everyone who wants one already has it (just compare Too Human sales with Halo, see?).

End of generation predictions:

1. PS3: 250 million
2. 360: 36 million
3. Wii: 35 million

You are such a hater. There are roughly 6 billion people on earth, and at least some of them will have 3 PS3s like that guy on YouTube. 9 billion PS3s, minimum.

You are totally misinformed. According to leo-j there are about 100 billion people living on earth, so you might make another prediction now that you know the facts.

Really? I predict that by 5 years, the people using each console will be.

Ps3: 0

X360: 0

Wii: 0

Infinite AR FTW!

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

kowenicki said:
@ skeeuk.. when?

well i couldnt possibly say, it will be a long time from now, i highly doubt the 3 consoles will pack up after 5 years and move ont another platform, like previous gens.

but more important are games rather than sales, it will be good to see which console provides the best games this gen, wether this gen is short like last gens or a longer cycle which looks more the likely.

Oh, Lawdy, Lawdy! I nearly sprayed my drink out, when I read the OP. Give me a moment to collect myself.

People defending it, make it that much sweeter. You'd swear it would have to be a joke thread, if it wasn't so sad and pathetic. No matter how repulsive SFB's can be, you've got love how entertaining they can be. Watching them defend Sony, is like watching Lemmings in motion.

It's not really worth debating, but let's try to put the situation into perspective. Right now, Sony's is in distant 3rd and their market share is rapidly shrinking. At this point, it's going to take a lot to turn that around and even get 2nd. The longer it takes to make any significant changes, the harder it's going to be, to build up, any real momentum. With all the $ they spent in R&D , the $ they've lost since launch and the $ they're going to lose, before a consistent gain happens, they don't really have a lot of options open to them and they still have to spend $, designing their next home and handheld consoles. People act like, just being 1st would be some big success, but anything below 50%, is a big step down from where Sony once was. Even if, the Wii started selling like the PS3 and the PS3 started selling like the Wii (and that's a real big if), it would still take Sony 2 years to catch up. Then, there's what MS has already sold and what they will sell. It would be all, but impossible for Sony to have anywhere near the market share they had the previous gens and even if they did, it would be at the very end of this gen. Seeing as how, all 3 companies are businesses, don't you think it's more important how much they actually make, as opposed to how much market share, they have? In which case, Nintendo has already won. Actually, Nintendo's almost guaranteed to get more market share, than what the GC had. So either way, a win-win for Nintendo and a lose-lose situation for Sony.

If Sony has a 10 year plan, they only have 8 years left, not 10. Not that it matters, because consumers dictate how long a product can last, not the company selling it. I don't know how anyone could expect them to do better in the last 8 years, than they did in the 1st 2, though. Usually the leading console in a gen, starts outpacing it's competition even more at the end of the cycle, while consoles with lower market share are usually front loaded. To top it off, if Sony, MS, and Ninty don't release new consoles, somebody else will step in and gladly take over. There are plenty of corporations interested, with the resources to do it.

@Seeuk: Nice spin. What happened to the PS3 out selling the PS2 and becoming the most profitable system of all time? You seemed so certain of Sony's victory, not too long ago.  Don't you believe in Kaz's speeches, anymore?

@Gearbox: Keep up the good work, with all the winning threads. The best part about people predicting the Wii to only sell 75 mil lifetime, is they only have wait about a year, to be proven completely wrong.

wii wins nuff said

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

RolStoppable said:

You are totally misinformed. According to leo-j there are about 100 billion people living on earth, so you might make another prediction now that you know the facts.

What?  I somehow remember a guy from Gamefaqs saying the exact same thing (AlbinoRat I believe, I actually quoted it XD).  Could leo-J and AlbinoRat be the same person.

Chrizum said:
Gearbox said:
the 360 doesnt have a chance for second imo. i think the wii will be around 75 mil at best, ps3 prolly at 80

I agree, though I don't think the Wii will manage to sell that much. I mean, what store will be willing to sell a console with no DVD player and with the graphics capabilities of an N64?

I think the Wii will stop selling in about 3 months, so probably around 35 million (yes, VGCharts heavily overtracked the Wii).

PS3 probably already is past 30 million by now, considering Blu Ray and everything. In my class everyone has a PS3, no one has a Wii or 360.

The 360 only sold so much because of RROD, but now it's fixed the 360 won't sell anymore. Everyone who wants one already has it (just compare Too Human sales with Halo, see?).

End of generation predictions:

1. PS3: 250 million
2. 360: 36 million
3. Wii: 35 million

Ummm, lolwhat?

I take it you are a fanboy.  And I'm pretty sure you're class doesn't make up the whole world (in terms of population).  Most people in my grade (last year, I'm not in grade school anymore :P), mostly own a 360 and/or Wii, while very little own a PS3.  Again, my grade, doesn't account for the whole world lol.  Anyways, I'm going to assume this was a joke post.

Anyways, ya, Wii has got this generation.  I'm pretty sure it's the battle for second now.  The only thing that would bring the Wii down is the Wii 2/Wii HD.  Even though Sony has said they plan to have a 10 year life cycle, that doesn't necessarily mean it will happen, they can not make a console for another 10 years, but consumers could easily stop buying it.