By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Analysis: PS3 vs Xbox 360 which controller is better for games

MikeB said:

Of course there are alternative controllers available, but here's Mike Ferro's analysis on the standard 360 and PS3 controllers:

http://gamer.blorge.com/2008/11/22/analysis-ps3-vs-xbox-360-controller-comparison/

My take: Overall a nice analysis, but does not address all aspects.

For games like Ape Escape or Super Stardust HD (games I like and own) the symmetrical nature of the analog sticks feels a lot more natural and is far more effective on the PS3.

I also like the motion sensing ability of the DH3 which the 360 controller does not provide. For example the flying parts in Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction or a game like Super Ruba Dub. With LittleBigPlanet you can make a lot of gestures, like shaking your head or looking at and pointing towards something when playing online with people (next to chat communication). I like the triggers, pressing them a little further you can get your sackboy to point fingers at things instead of just waving your hands for various gestures.

Although I can manage with both controllers myself, I will have to note my girlfriend and sister both got hand cramps from using the 360 controller (and from using the PS3 controller). Of course there are others who say they experienced the exact opposite to be the case for them, but note there are hundreds of million of gamers out there who used similar controllers as those standard with the PS3.

In the end its all very subjective and depends on personal preferences. But you hear 360 fans all the time about how the PS3 controller sucks and the 360's controller is vastly superior, I thought this analysis to be an interesting read.

My opinion as a physical therapist and the ergotherapists I know is that the PS3 controller is better designed overall, it more easily fits more different kinds of hands. For the symmetrical nature of the analog sticks this is also the case, better suited for both left and right handed people, the active range of motion is a handicap for the left 360 analog stick (especially an issue if you have left-hand problems or small thumbs).

See i have to disagree with you on hand craps, ive played with both controllers, and i can not use the ps3 or ps2 controller for more then an hour without getting cramps where with the 360 i have never had that problem (I did with they s type on the xbox but mainly due to its size, and award placement of the black/whit button). 

I work with people who do industrial design for a living, and they complimented the 360s controller based on its contoured layout and asymmetrical design, as being better ergonomically. granted this is only true for the right handed. there evaluation was based on the average size of a right handed user.  

on motion sensing That is personal preference, until it is a one to one, on any console, im not buying into it.  

as to your latter comments 

"Place both thumbs on the PS3 contoller and perform full circles.

Place both thumbs on the 360 controller and perform full circles.

For the PS3 controller this should be easier and comfortable, considering the active range of motion of the thumb in those positions like medical people refer to this.

Then while having the thumbs on the sticks, try to reach all the d-pad directions (like used for weapon select) and the action buttons while returning the thumbs to the sticks. Then try to alternate as quickly as possible with left and right hands, of course returning the thumbs to the original starting position.

This should also be far more easier to do on the PS3 controller."

I find the exact opposite is true. but this may be due to the nature of my hands which are far lager then average. I can because of placment of the dpad reach it with both thumbs, so in game i can decided which finger to use where i can only do it with my left thumb on the ps3. 

one issue you dont touch on is the shoulder/triggers which thought he ps3 has made an advancement on, the 360 has far more comfortable placement and execution 

(I found the duke to be very comfortable last generation, and hated the stype).

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

Around the Network

i am also all for symmetric.

I have at no point while using a sixaxis/dual shock thought "This would be easier with a 360 controller"

At the same time, I have at no point while using a 360 controller thought "This would be easier on dual shock".

My fingers have never once slipped on the PS3 triggers. They do not give me hand cramps.
I've actually never played a game on 360 which involves the d-pad to a great extent.

I suppose it's what you're used to. I am used to Dual Shock. So, if I had a choice, I would use it.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

@ WessleWoggle

It's actually easier and more comfortable for me one the Xbox 360 controller because my palms have somewhere to rest,

My large palms  rest just fine on the DS3/Sixaxis controllers, just the pollicis brevis muscles have more freedom to get to all the buttons.

The action buttons are also a bit larger it seems on the Playstation controller. It's interesting that some people find handling the right analog stick, left d-pad as well as handling the action buttons all with one thumb a good approach. I imagine the bulk of people would have to slide their right hand trying to hit the left d-pad button and alternating between buttons should of course be easier with the Playstation controller as you're using both thumbs.

I do have to wonder how people are holding these controllers, in the grabbing position of the hand unlike what some say for the Playstation controller the left thumb is much closer to the maximum loose packed position and a lot more freedom to move the thumb around, assuming there are aliens amongst us the hand lay-out is roughly the same for people. Pulling left on the 360 you get to a pretty closed packed position of the thumb and while holding the assymetric 360 controller symmetrically pushing forward should be harder for the bulk of people.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

kowenicki said:
@ mikeb ..... the "pollicis brevis muscles" you can come across a tad superior and pompous at times mike.

Dont you think that both MS and Sony had input from ergonomics experts? Maybe they should have come to you instead. please. Both controllers are just fine.

That's not my intention, I just wanted to go into a little bit more depth (distinguish between muscle groups), just read thumb muscles instead if you will.

I am not saying the 360 controller sucks for big hands (overall it seems it does for smaller hands, which is a consideration if the console is used by the whole family). I have read a lot of comments by XBox fans that the PS3 controller sucks (for large hands) and I think that's a wild exagerration and I really don't see that to be the case.

Trigger preferences I can understand, but IMO by no means the PS3 triggers are really bad. They are an improvement over previous Playstion controllers as used by hundreds of millions and are quite handy as for example with regard to distinguishing between waving and pointing in a game like LittleBigPlanet.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

@ WessleWoggle

indeed you do have to wonder. My palms aren't in contact with the DS at all(unless the game requires only 1 stick), just my fingers and kunckleline

Don't you have difficulty keeping the controller steady that way? And do you have fingers wrapped around the shoulder and trigger buttons?

I have philosophers hands type

Interesting, I have the normal hand type but big. My girlfriend's hands are graceful small hands, relatively longer and much thinner. I will post some pics when I get back from work with regard to how I hold the PS3 controller.

PS3 vs 360 sales

I do like the "for games" bit.

Like we can look forward to subsequent articles such as the best for DVD playback or the best for beating your partner with.

Personally I find the positioning of the left analog stick on the 360's controller to give me better control and the way the tip is depressed your thumb sticks to it better. For more reckless general rotating the PS3's positioning is better in the way you describe.

I agree hands down though for street fighter specific 2D games the D-Pad is waaayy more efficiently placed and better controlled on the Dualshock controller.

@ WessleWoggle

This is how I generally hold the PS3 controller (with both hands symmetrically).

I can easily generate circles and hit the d-pad (action buttons for the right hand).

Clear pics of people holding the 360 controller are hard to find, but this one isn't good:

Very asymmetrically held. Left index finger distanced to compensate for lack of thumb movement in normal position.

PS3 vs 360 sales

@ WessleWoggle

The only buttons harder to reach from this position is the Playstation, start and select buttons, but those buttons usually aren't used much in-game, rather to bring up the XMB, pause the game or bring up a map which isn't part of the general gaming action.

PS3 vs 360 sales