By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Analysis: PS3 vs Xbox 360 which controller is better for games

It's not so much analysis as opinion. I could probably find dozens of blogs favoring either controller. I don't really see the point in posting this blog over the others.

Around the Network

Well.. For my controller preference, I'd say PS3 controller is better than 360. Overall for me that has the best feel of a controller, but if I'm playing FPS I'd hold a 360 controller anytime over a PS3 controller.

One thing that I do hate about the design of the 360 controller is that they haven't rid of the horid design(the chunkiness of the controller). I hate holding that thing for a long time.

I used to think DS was the best until the XBOX S controller came out.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

Bboid said:

I agree with your statement.  I have long said the 360 controller with offset analogs is almost entirely unnatural.  The ps3 controller however is a bit too small.  360 is a bit too large, bad button layout (for me), and too heavy.  I do like the overall feel of the 360 controllers shape, just want it a tad smaller.

Wouldnt it be nice if the makers made different sized controlelrs for different sized hands?!?!?!?!?

Yes I agree, hopefully 3rd party hardware developers jump on the oppertunity.

Overall me with my big hands can easily manage the controls (actually no real issue whatsoever and before I played my games mostly with mouse and keyboard in recent history), I'm in the top 0.1% highscores for SSHD and got all the throphies quite quickly. But there seems to be a demand and the GT boss should send a big ass controller to that blog dude so PS3 games are judged fairly by him.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:

For the symmetrical nature of the analog sticks this is also the case, better suited for both left and right handed people,

WTF? I'm left handed and find the analog stick placement on the dual shock horrible. The symmetrical layout makes it extremely annoying to play any FPS when you've got large hands simply because your thumbs are going to be running into each other constantly.

Around the Network

Well your biased so I knew like mrstickball as soon as I entered this thread what your "opinion" would be. Anyway They both have flaws, I don't like the 360 DPad but the thumbsticks on the PS2/PS3 controller used to make me ach.

I think its common belife the 360 is the best controller ... there is already a topic on here "your 5 best controllers" ... 360 is nearly in everybodys list.

I've always preferred the Xbox controllers to the Dual Shocks (and that whole family) because of the placements of the joysticks on the Playstation pads. Seriously, that's just not good business.

The 360 controller is not perfect, but I do like the placement of the left stick. It is placed where the thumb naturally falls when the hand is relaxed.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

kowenicki said:
The one you prefer is the one you are used to. I prefer the 360 one, but if a play the PS3 then I soon get used to that and I'm sure the opposite is true.

Agreed^

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

NJ5 said:
The 360 controller is not perfect, but I do like the placement of the left stick. It is placed where the thumb naturally falls when the hand is relaxed.

Place both thumbs on the PS3 contoller and perform full circles.

Place both thumbs on the 360 controller and perform full circles.

For the PS3 controller this should be easier and comfortable, considering the active range of motion of the thumb in those positions like medical people refer to this.

Then while having the thumbs on the sticks, try to reach all the d-pad directions (like used for weapon select) and the action buttons while returning the thumbs to the sticks. Then try to alternate as quickly as possible with left and right hands, of course returning the thumbs to the original starting position.

This should also be far more easier to do on the PS3 controller.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales