By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Analysis: PS3 vs Xbox 360 which controller is better for games

hmm, I like X system. I play X System more. So I either
A agree with the analysis because I like the Play Station
B disagree with the analysis because I like the XBox

Seriously people. yeesh. In to days day and age the primary interface control for games is the analog stick. It should be prominent for a natural comfort fit. Yes I know the PS fans will say it's natural. Well that's because PS fans have been using the design for about 10+ years. Xbox fans have been using it for 7+ years.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

Around the Network

I find the Sixaxis controller works well when I'm playing the PS3, but the xbox controller is better when I'm playing 360.

Currently Playing:  Saints Row 2 | Battlefield 2 | Company of Heroes

Recently Beaten: Gears of War | Super Mario Galaxy | Darwinia | MGS4 | Sam and Max Ep. 4, Portal | Mirror's Edge | Uncharted | Mass Effect

Looking Forward to: Alan Wake | Splinter Cell : Conviction | The Last Guardian | Batman: Arkham Asylum | SMG2 | Mass Effect 2 |

IMO the only thing X360 controller got that is best than Sixaxis is the left stick placement.

.jayderyu said:

Seriously people. yeesh. In to days day and age the primary interface control for games is the analog stick. It should be prominent for a natural comfort fit. Yes I know the PS fans will say it's natural. Well that's because PS fans have been using the design for about 10+ years. Xbox fans have been using it for 7+ years.

I didn't own a PS2 and my girlfriend near never played on a PS2 console. She started playing games with me on the 360 namely Kameo and Dead or Alive IV (and the Nintendo DS), which resulted into hand cramps quickly (PC games don't interest her, although we did replay Mario64 with keyboard through emulation, but that's not as good as with the analog stick).

She hasn't experienced problems playing Motorstorm, Super Ruba Dub, LittleBigPlanet, Super Stardust HD (she's quite good) and Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction. All very different kinds of games. She's not into FPS at all. Her and my opinion is that the Playstation3 controller is far more comfortable.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:
.jayderyu said:

I didn't own a PS2 and my girlfriend near never played on a PS2 console. She started playing games with me on the 360 namely Kameo and Dead or Alive IV (and the Nintendo DS), which resulted into hand cramps quickly (PC games don't interest her, although we did replay Mario64 with keyboard through emulation, but that's not as good as with the analog stick).

She hasn't experienced problems playing Motorstorm, Super Ruba Dub, LittleBigPlanet, Super Stardust HD (she's quite good) and Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction. All very different kinds of games. She's not into FPS at all. Her and my opinion is that the Playstation3 controller is far more comfortable.

My best mates favourite controller is the original xbox controller (and he's a Nintendo fan though he did buy a Saturn and Dreamcast). Different strokes for different folks.

Around the Network
MikeB said:

WessleWoggle

This is how I generally hold the PS3 controller (with both hands symmetrically).

I can easily generate circles and hit the d-pad (action buttons for the right hand).

Clear pics of people holding the 360 controller are hard to find, but this one isn't good:

Very asymmetrically held. Left index finger distanced to compensate for lack of thumb movement in normal position.

Sorry but I've never seen anybody hold the 360 controller like that lol.  My 12 yr old nephew with tiny hands doesn't even hold it like that.  Anybody that has a 360 controller pick it up and try and use it like that, pretty ridiculous lol.

Completed X360:
High Def Movie Collection

On topic: It's a pretty silly article because most of it is preference anyway. The only big preference I have is keep the motion stuff out of PS3 games. Unless the game is designed around motion controls it feels gimmicky and tacked on. It reminds me of when I was like 8 and trying to steer the controller so I could turn faster in mario kart :P

Completed X360:
High Def Movie Collection
haxxiy said:
IMO the only thing X360 controller got that is best than Sixaxis is the left stick placement.

Would you also like the right stick to be positioned like the left stick? If not, why not?

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:
haxxiy said:

Would you also like the right stick to be positioned like the left stick? If not, why not?

No. Because getting the most used buttons at the place where you thumbs naturally are while holding a controller is by far more comfortable, and I don't use the right stick as much as the left stick or the 4 buttons (I mean, it really depends on the games. While training on FF12 is [by far] better to have the left stick and the right stick symmetrical) . Do you? O.o

haxxiy said:
MikeB said:
haxxiy said:

No. Because getting the most used buttons at the place where you thumbs naturally are while holding a controller is by far more comfortable, and I don't use the right stick as much as the left stick or the 4 buttons (I mean, it really depends on the games. While training on FF12 is [by far] better to have the left stick and the right stick symmetrical) . Do you? O.o

I use it a lot on the PS3, for instance in a FPS to look around quickly and use the right shoulder button for shooting. The action buttons are for reloading, bombs, jumping, etc.

Or in Super Stardust HD where the direction you pull the stick shots are being fired. I think I would suck at this sort of game using an asymetrical controller.

PS3 vs 360 sales