By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - New UK Chart - huge drop for LBP, Wii Music fails to chart in the top 10

DMeisterJ said:

How was it a huge LBP Drop??

Four new releases, gears, and the Nintendo Mainstays are the only things in front of it. >_>

Edit:  And how soon people forget Uncharted.

Everyone remembers Uncharted. All I'm saying is that right now, LBP has a big drop. I'm not commenting on the implications of that. It could have long term legs, or get bundled, or any number of things.

That said, Uncharted wasn't a special case in and of itself. It just happened to be a good game with great word of mouth on a console which, at the time, had a slim selection of good games to choose from. It's the same reason Nintendo games sell forever. When you don't have much choice, you take what you can get. Motostorm and the original Resistance are two other great examples of good games without little competition having legs.

LBP certainly is a good game. It does have a lot more competition than past PS3 titles with legs. Just look at the PS2. You were seeing numbers for games similar or lower than this gen because of so much competition on the console, despite an exponential increase in userbase.

1. Will there be a stream of new quality titles in 09, means less legs for LBP.

2. Is LBP significantly better than the earlier games, in consumer eyes, and if so, is it "better enough" to overcome increased competition.

3. Is the type of game LBP is, consequential to its legs? On the Playstation 3 console, will legs for a casual and/or cutsy game similar to those on a Nintendo console, or are more core games prone to better legs, unlike with Nintendo? We've seen Uncharted and Resistance can have legs, can a casual game?

We've seen similar games on similar console perform similarly.

Games >> X360 >> Viva Pinata

Update boxart
America   Front
1.56 m
Atsumare! Pinata
Developer: Rare
Genre: Sim
Other Versions: PC
Release Dates: 11/09/06
Microsoft
01/11/07
Microsoft
12/01/06
Microsoft
Hits: 8,584

Edit game info
Report this game

Sales History

Region Japan America Others Total
Total Sales 0.02m 0.64m 0.90m 1.56m
Week 1 1,537 10,690 26,432 38,659
Week 2 1,062 13,512 27,490 42,064
Week 3 887 15,390 20,617 36,894
Week 4 785 16,706 19,586 37,077
Week 5 743 21,677 6,855 29,275
Week 6 803 26,375 6,170 33,348
Week 7 920 30,729 5,553 37,202
Week 8 814 10,012 5,386 16,212
Week 9 727 9,206 5,925 15,858
Week 10 688 8,006 5,747 14,441

The difference here it seems is that it's assumed that since LBP is supposedly so much better than similar games in the cutsy genre, that its sales will reflect that, as the consumer sees the light.

Hype, particularly, helped the initial bump for this game, which is why hype is so important in this industry. However, after a couple of weeks, so far, we've seen a much more traditional trend with LBP, in which it starts relatively big, and then slows significantly from weeks 2-3.

Will the game pull legs out of its ass, certainly. Will those legs be attributed to consumer interest, or simply Wii-Sports-esque bundled and inflated numbers, only time will tell.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network
ThePerilous said:
DMeisterJ said:

Four new releases, gears, and the Nintendo Mainstays are the only things in front of it. >_>

Edit:  And how soon people forget Uncharted.

I have the same opinion. It did well this week.

I don't think he thinks it necessarily did "well." I think he was implying that the number drop wasn't as huge as people made out.

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

ThePerilous said:
DMeisterJ said:

Edit: And how soon people forget Uncharted.

I have the same opinion. It did well this week.

If it stays on this place for the rest of the year then - yes

If it continues to drop - no

do we actually have real numbers for LBP yet?

BengaBenga said:

That's not true.

Besides that it's not true, it also doesn't matter. The average costumers doesn't care one bit who made the game. It's not Nintendo's fault that 3rd parties don't make quality, high budget software for Wii.

I dont know I think Nintendo is partially to blame. They have set an example with some low budget lower quality titles that have done extremely well.  Look at WiiPlay, WiiSports and now WiiMusic.  Remember this next time you celebrate WiiPlay selling so well. The high budget, high quality titles have come from the traditional Nintendo franchises which really dont take much advantage of what the Wii offers.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

Around the Network

For those who want numbers, i think LBP has dropped from 65k to around 35k this week, so it's not a huge drop, as it's write in the title.

Is it me or are there too many titles out right now, particularly across PS3/360? It's crazy. I mean I could buy them all (apologies to any younger VGChartz members who can't) but how on Earth would I find the time to play all of the games I'm interested in?

Right now I'm playing LBP, Fallout 3, Bioshock and have Far Cry 2 on a shelf with RFOM2 on pre-order. I was going to buy Mirror's Edge and the new COD today but it just seemed like a silly waste of money as its probably months before I'd get time to actually play them (particularly as I've started building levels in LBP and can see that eating up yonks of my free time).

Over an above that there's a a few other titles on PS3 and Wii I'm interested in.  Then I'm playing on a mates 360 to get my hands on Gears 2 and Fable 2.

I mean choice is good - but some games/developers are going to suffer unless they have enough legs/appeal to get them sales beyond this fray.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Reasonable said:

Is it me or are there too many titles out right now, particularly across PS3/360? It's crazy. I mean I could buy them all (apologies to any younger VGChartz members who can't) but how on Earth would I find the time to play all of the games I'm interested in?

Right now I'm playing LBP, Fallout 3, Bioshock and have Far Cry 2 on a shelf with RFOM2 on pre-order. I was going to buy Mirror's Edge and the new COD today but it just seemed like a silly waste of money as its probably months before I'd get time to actually play them (particularly as I've started building levels in LBP and can see that eating up yonks of my free time).

Over an above that there's a a few other titles on PS3 and Wii I'm interested in.  Then I'm playing on a mates 360 to get my hands on Gears 2 and Fable 2.

I mean choice is good - but some games/developers are going to suffer unless they have enough legs/appeal to get them sales beyond this fray.

it's hard to keep up, with finishing games, than actually having money to buy them. I yet have to finish one of my games, i'm almost done with valkyria so, that's 2 to go.

And Gears droped from 1 - 5. Isn't that a big drop for a AAA game?

Unleash The Beast!  

End of 2011 Sales: Wii = 90mil, 360 = 61mil, PS3= 60mil

finalsquall said:
And Gears droped from 1 - 5. Isn't that a big drop for a AAA game?

So would any game do if games such as Halo 3 and Grand Theft Auto IV were released one week after it. It would be more interesting if Gears of War 2 was released in the same week as World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King and Call of Duty: World at War.