By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - New UK Chart - huge drop for LBP, Wii Music fails to chart in the top 10

darthdevidem01 said:
@Zucas

GTA used to be a franchise that would be in the top 10 for ages n ages

Used to... can't do that anymore on PS3 and 360 because the userbases don't allow it too sell loads over time.  It'll still sell persistently but at much lesser rates than if it were on PS2. 

This actually comes to be a problem for Wii because it can do that and games do, do that.  Yet, they do so much that they don't allow anything else to sell.  This was something not even the PS2 had to worry about because it never had Wii Play, Wii Fit, and Mario Kart Wii all selling those numbers at the same time.  It'd have a GTA or a GT every now and then but still not at these rates.  And that's simply the selling power of the Nintendo brand.  But it turns out to be a negative because it just puts down other software so harshly.  I think UK is a perfect example of this happening.  I'm hoping such titles as Sonic Unleashed and Animal Crossing will help to break that mold.  But really this is goign to be something we look into during 2009 because after Black Friday these trends aren't going to matter.

Around the Network

@Zucas

I agree

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

BengaBenga said:
EaglesEye379 said:
@Benga

It will be very interesting to see that chart for Jan - Dec as it will include Gears 2, Fable 2, Fallout 3, GHWT, & CoDWaW.

That will definitely be interesting. Nevertheless are neither of these titles even remotely close to GTA in sales, so I don't think the overall picture will change. I even think the difference will be bigger. If you read the Gamasutra article you'll see that Wii sold as much software as 360, in a month without big 360 releases and with Fallout and Fable for 360.  And Wii will have continued stellar sales of Wii Fit, Mario Kart, SSBB as well as Animal Crossing and legs for GHWT.

Uhm.. Gears 2 will easily be 2m in 2 weeks in the US, how is this not remotely close? And we still have the whole holiday for it to sell.

Anyway, its no doubt that Wii software will continue to sell in truckloads as the Wii has captured the imagination of the masses and droves of people are buying the software just to experience the hardware.

Having said that, I still think the 360 can at least match the software of the Wii this holiday and I think that is a good achievement as it will have a higher attach ratio, seeing how the Wii has zoomed by in install base.

This holiday is important as the PS2 generation is going to upgrade and have to make a choice now, more so than ever before.

darthdevidem01 said:
@Zucas

I agree

Awesome haha. 

Leni said:
BengaBenga said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Once again COD WAW proves this gen is completely unlike last gen where the leading console dominated SW Sales in every way possible.

That's still the case:

Also NPD:

LoL, nice reply, go SSBB!! : )

we knew that the Wii version wouldn't do much, but the sales seem to be bad, maybe we should see if it has legs for some time... (like Star Wars Force Unleashed)

also, how could you expect it to sell on Wii, COD4 was not on Wii, also a hell of other shooters....

*LoL, Wii Music fails to chart top 10, but succeeds to chart top 11!!

what a stupid thread title :P

Wii Music bombed. I blame Edge's cover. Probably scared the punters off.

PSN - hanafuda

Around the Network

Damn, Motorstorm looks like an official bomb, Mirrors Edge not looking good either. LBP will not have the legs it needs to seperate itself from any other hyped PS3 releases.

Tough times for PS3, at least it still has Resistance 2 in Europe in a couple weeks.

My god Zucas is his own self-press machine.

This man should be the president with how much he talks about how awesome he is.

Wow Cod:WaW Wii is suprisingly low i did not expect anything near HD numbers but not being in top 40 is quite worrying for the games like that on the Wii.

An interesting breakdown
Numbers of titles in top 40 per platform:

XBOX360 - 12
Wii - 9
PS3 - 8
DS - 6
PC - 3
PS2 - 2
PSP - 0

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

i played the mirrors edge demo....but i thought it wasnt worth buying it.
LBP on the other hand....its excellent.
but i want to see actual sales numbers first. maybe the number 10 is still selling like 100.000 in one week