By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Does the Wii compare to the PS2?

Kasz216 said:
Esa-Petteri said:
griffinA said:
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2004-05-12-gamer-demographics_x.htm

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/21365/1092/

http://www.kotaku.com.au/games/2008/10/how_old_is_the_average_australian_gamer_30.html

All news stories stating the the average gamer is around 30 and the majority are over 18

Is that actually one survey? Based on how many participants?

They're two differnt surveys.. and there are a lot more out there like that. NPD has one etc.

Oh, I somehow missed one of them. It also answered my question:

"The game use survey was conducted by Ipsos-Insight and based on a poll of 1,400 U.S. households, the ESA said."

Around the Network

In terms of sales
it's a ludicrous question, the Wii will obviously beat the PS2

In terms of taking the PS2's crown of 'best console ever'
It's a pointless question, that title obviously belonged to the SNES, but I think the Wii shall get it anyway

On this scale, perhaps, that sort of thinking is unlikely to cause any high-level problems, it's true. However, I suggest you keep from using that method with anything even remotely important. A great deal of horrible events in the history of our world stemmed from assumptions of correctness about ideas that later were revealed to be far from true. If you'd like, I can give some examples.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Sky Render said:
On this scale, perhaps, that sort of thinking is unlikely to cause any high-level problems, it's true. However, I suggest you keep from using that method with anything even remotely important. A great deal of horrible events in the history of our world stemmed from assumptions of correctness about ideas that later were revealed to be far from true. If you'd like, I can give some examples.

Ok, I'll keep your advice in my mind! Please do give me examples, but that would be offtopic so send me a private message!

No, the wii will never obtain the same market share domination and it will continue to lack the 3rd party support that made the PS2 so memorable.

Around the Network

The ps2 had every genre covered, with a huge amount quality titles rounding out the lineup. This isn't some fanboy assertion. It simply had an extremely good library, in number of quality titles, range of titles offered in each genre, and number of exclusives. Overall, I see very little evidence that the Wii is going to have anything close to the dominance enjoyed by the ps2 in terms of games.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

Sony is still selling PS2 quite well for a console so old, so the target is still moving, but yes, Wii has good chances to eventually exceed PS2 sales, it's already selling like hot cakes now, I can't even imagine how much it will sell priced under $150, let's not talk about when it will be under $100, it could have a sunset so bright to make PS2's already bright one pale in comparison.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Some thoughts:

First of all, sales do not "prove" what is "quality" or "good," because those are subjective terms that cannot be proven. "Quality" is just sort of used after the fact. In fact, if you listen to people in real life, they never do the critical psuedo-analysis of "quality," but just talk about likes and dislikes. This game "kicks ass." Why? Because it lets me do X.

As I've mentioned, it seems to me that most people choose SNES or PS2 as the "best" console because they were the peaks for certain types of games. Others could easily pick 2600 or Wii, because they are the peaks for other types of games. Less people (in my experience) seem to pick NES or PS1, even though objectively, they were the more historically important systems.

As for the average age of gamers, I believe that most of the surveys which came back with an age around 30 included Mom playing Flash games, for the purpose of making it look like games were "growing up," while the average age of a console gamer lingered around 18 or 20. But I don't have any real research to support that.

Anyways... It is interesting to compare the Wii's game library to the PS2's in terms of sales, and see how well it could do over its life.

Obviously, Wii is poised to easily win at the top of the library. Wii Sports and Wii Play, and likely Wii Fit and Mario Kart Wii, will outsell everything on PS2 by many millions. I believe including the undertracking of MGS2 and a missing Medal of Honor game, PS2 had 10 games to cross the 6m mark in sales. Wii should match and beat that, with a 7th game (Mario and Sonic) on the verge of the 6m mark already. But as you get down to lower level sales, PS2 seems to have unassailable totals, like 23 4m sellers (and some missing), over 100 2m sellers, and nearly 200 1m sellers (and I would guess the real number is pushing 250). In terms of total game shipments, I'm pretty sure PS2 passed 1.5b (thats b with a billion) fairly recently. Wii had 36 million-shipping games and 230m software shipped through September.

I think that in some regards, PS2 software sales will remain better than Wii's. The industry, especially EA who had at least 60 million-sellers for PS2, had mastered creating games for a certain audience segment. But with that segment now becoming overshot and overserved, and tired of the same old thing, the industry is having a hard time learning how to reach the new demos on Wii; often because they only view them as new demos, I think.

Today the industry is by and large having a hard time making consistent profits, led by EA who is siphoning money like an auto-maker. So I'm honestly not sure if the industry is going to keep enough people employed to make the quantity of million-sellers or 2m-sellers PS2 had. But in most regards, Wii will win sales comparisons with PS2.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

If anyone here cites review scores, they're wrong.

The review system is broken and we all know it.

Ergo, I don't believe you can compare the library of the PS2 to that of the Wii right now.

tehsage said:
If anyone here cites review scores, they're wrong.

The review system is broken and we all know it.

Ergo, I don't believe you can compare the library of the PS2 to that of the Wii right now.

Ratchet and Clank

Jak

Sly Cooper

ICO/SoTC

God of War

MGS

DMC

Soul Calibur

Final Fantasy

Twisted Metal

Tekken

Kingdom Hearts

Not to mention there is more than one game for most of those series.

Your turn.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective