By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Does the Wii compare to the PS2?

@Endz: I resent the "girls" comment. Do not put me in the same category as PS2 fans.

OT: No, the Wii is way better. I'm offended that it even got put in the same category. As for sales, the Wii will outsell the PS2.

Source: me.

Proud member of the Mega Mario Movement

Warrior of Light

Around the Network
KillerMan said:
jlauro said:
What was the PS2 library like after 2 years?

I seem to recall that it took some time to become the library it is today. If you don't count the BC with the PS, it had a fairly poor library too, and is very comparable to the wii. If you believe otherwise, list some of those diverse but great games in the PS2 library back then.

By the end of 2002 PS2 had 29 games with score 90+ at metacritic. Wii has currently 7(+2WiiWare)...

Do you have any link to this? Very interesting if true. Even if that isn't totally fair, it still gives a perspective.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Are people still turning to Metacritic? I mean, it is a nice idea, but quite frankly, it has zero correlation with how well a game sells or how popular it actually is. The scope and weighting of the reviews is entirely off-kilter, and the sample group is not representative of the gaming public at all, but rather of a distinct few anti-mainstream splinter groups.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Dinomax said:
Kantor said:
Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
PS2's games are far greater then the Wii's imo and many others opinions.

In sales? Perhaps. in Gaming Quality and games? no, never.

And in the hearts of people? Not in a million years.

The Wii can sell 300 million copies by the end of this gen. But the PS2 will remain the greatest console.

And why are people making all of these upward curving graphs for the Wii? What makes them think that the Wii will continue to rise in sales for all eternity? I can tell you this: when the Wii HD launches in 2011, the Wii will start to fail.

I really hope the Wii does not cross 130 million before then. When the companies are developing their next console, they will look at the most successful console of all time. Do we want them to look at the PS2 or the Wii?

EDIT: Don't forget, the PS2 didn't really pick up until around 2003.

Good thing you have evidence to back up such a claim like that.

Oh wait you don't. 

Lastly your post is full of paranoia and desperation.  Your taking video games to seriously.  Time to settle down.

Sorry, I'm just annoyed by all of these 10 billion "PS3 is doomed" threads popping up every five minutes.

And wait, aren't you meant to be the anti-casual one?

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Why is no one listening to Sky Render? he hit the nail right on the head.

Who determines the quality of a game? A handful of people who arbitrarily decide what is good or not good or what is "art" or not "art"? NO! It is the consumer who will always be the judge of what is good and what is not good.

Also, as a side note, games are not art, people just relax.

"Pier was a chef, a gifted and respected chef who made millions selling his dishes to the residents of New York City and Boston, he even had a famous jingle playing in those cities that everyone knew by heart. He also had a restaurant in Los Angeles, but not expecting LA to have such a massive population he only used his name on that restaurant and left it to his least capable and cheapest chefs. While his New York restaurant sold kobe beef for $100 and his Boston restaurant sold lobster for $50, his LA restaurant sold cheap hotdogs for $30. Initially these hot dogs sold fairly well because residents of los angeles were starving for good food and hoped that the famous name would denote a high quality, but most were disappointed with what they ate. Seeing the success of his cheap hot dogs in LA, Pier thought "why bother giving Los Angeles quality meats when I can oversell them on cheap hotdogs forever, and since I don't care about the product anyways, why bother advertising them? So Pier continued to only sell cheap hotdogs in LA and was surprised to see that they no longer sold. Pier's conclusion? Residents of Los Angeles don't like food."

"The so-called "hardcore" gamer is a marketing brainwashed, innovation shunting, self-righteous idiot who pays videogame makers far too much money than what is delivered."

Around the Network
griffinA said:
Why is no one listening to Sky Render? he hit the nail right on the head.

Who determines the quality of a game? A handful of people who arbitrarily decide what is good or not good or what is "art" or not "art"? NO! It is the consumer who will always be the judge of what is good and what is not good.

Also, as a side note, games are not art, people just relax.

Somebody's never played Shadow of the Colossus. Or BioShock. Or MGS4 to a certain extent. Or, really, any JRPG.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

That somebody would be a lot of somebodies, actually. The vast majority of gamers, to be precise. To a lot of people, those games you listed are not appealing for a wide variety of reasons.

I keep having to do this, but let me give you a little introduction to cognitive dissonance. Quality is subjective, and perceptions of it vary from person to person. There is no universal scale of values, particularly not for something as trivial as video games. What you hold to be the pinnacle of quality, others will not necessarily agree with. This is where cognitive dissonance comes in: the ability to accept that different views exist on the subject, and that nobody (yourself included) is "right" because there is nothing to be "right" about. Terms like "right" and "wrong" are subjective too.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

@ Kantor What Sky Render says is the truth. You may think those games are art but a middle-aged house wife who plays wii sports and loves it, disagrees with you. Hell even movie reviewers may disagree with you. There's no such thing as universal art

. The quality of a product is judged by how much people want to buy it, not by a handful of hardcore gamers. What makes those games art?

"Pier was a chef, a gifted and respected chef who made millions selling his dishes to the residents of New York City and Boston, he even had a famous jingle playing in those cities that everyone knew by heart. He also had a restaurant in Los Angeles, but not expecting LA to have such a massive population he only used his name on that restaurant and left it to his least capable and cheapest chefs. While his New York restaurant sold kobe beef for $100 and his Boston restaurant sold lobster for $50, his LA restaurant sold cheap hotdogs for $30. Initially these hot dogs sold fairly well because residents of los angeles were starving for good food and hoped that the famous name would denote a high quality, but most were disappointed with what they ate. Seeing the success of his cheap hot dogs in LA, Pier thought "why bother giving Los Angeles quality meats when I can oversell them on cheap hotdogs forever, and since I don't care about the product anyways, why bother advertising them? So Pier continued to only sell cheap hotdogs in LA and was surprised to see that they no longer sold. Pier's conclusion? Residents of Los Angeles don't like food."

"The so-called "hardcore" gamer is a marketing brainwashed, innovation shunting, self-righteous idiot who pays videogame makers far too much money than what is delivered."

KillerMan said:
jlauro said:
What was the PS2 library like after 2 years?

I seem to recall that it took some time to become the library it is today. If you don't count the BC with the PS, it had a fairly poor library too, and is very comparable to the wii. If you believe otherwise, list some of those diverse but great games in the PS2 library back then.

By the end of 2002 PS2 had 29 games with score 90+ at metacritic. Wii has currently 7(+2WiiWare)...

That sounds better than I remember for the PS2, but what classified as a 90 back then is different then today... The PS2 was launched on March 4, 2000 in Japan.  That gives the Wii about 9 more months to make it even a semi-fair comparison.  (Not that it will make up the difference, but there are at least a few games coming out with that potential...)

Well the difference between the 2 consoles (Wii and PS2) are:

- PS2 sold well because of its good price, huge library of AAA games including Grand Theft Auto and Gran Turismo.

- Wii is selling well because its dirt cheap and people are jumping on the motion control fad. People are buying the wii because its affordable and they want to try out motion controls on Wii sports. But the wii has very few good games and lots of people's wiis are collecting dust.

Plus 8 years into its life the PS2 is still selling 5 figures on a weekly basis and now its into 6 figures because of Christmas. If the wii still sells any consoles even 5 years into its life i'll be shocked.