By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Does the Wii compare to the PS2?

wfz said:
"Best console ever" is extremely subjective... It wouldn't be a good idea to debate that.

Fastest selling console? Hell yes. Will it keep it up and pass the PS2? Only time will tell, but I think it has a great chance at doing so.

To be fair it has dipped below the PS2 in Japan at this point in time.

While it's the smallest market it's something to consider.

Around the Network
coolestguyever said:
Plus 8 years into its life the PS2 is still selling 5 figures on a weekly basis and now its into 6 figures because of Christmas. If the wii still sells any consoles even 5 years into its life i'll be shocked.

Prepare to be shocked.  It's already almost 2, and is outselling the PS2 for same number of weeks, and you think it will stop selling in just 3 more years when there hasn't even been new colors or a price drop yet?

Kasz216 said:
wfz said:
"Best console ever" is extremely subjective... It wouldn't be a good idea to debate that.

Fastest selling console? Hell yes. Will it keep it up and pass the PS2? Only time will tell, but I think it has a great chance at doing so.

To be fair it has dipped below the PS2 in Japan at this point in time.

While it's the smallest market it's something to consider.

The PS2 launched different times of the year.  Just prior to the holiday season makes it a bit unfair to compare directly.  That difference could be made up in a couple of months...

jlauro said:
coolestguyever said:
Plus 8 years into its life the PS2 is still selling 5 figures on a weekly basis and now its into 6 figures because of Christmas. If the wii still sells any consoles even 5 years into its life i'll be shocked.

Prepare to be shocked.  It's already almost 2, and is outselling the PS2 for same number of weeks, and you think it will stop selling in just 3 more years when there hasn't even been new colors or a price drop yet?

Yeah... I mean it's actually really common for a successful console to keep selling during the next generation.

Atari 2600 is one of the longest lasting...

NES did it... and actually beat up on Genisis until SNES came out in everywhere but the US.

PS1 did it...

PS2 is doing it...

Not sure if the SNES still did it... probably but 3-D might of changed things.

As a Wiifan, I would say that it does not quite match up to the PS2 for 2 reasons:

1) Wii does try something new, while PS2 was a more traditional "take what worked last gen and make it better" console.

2) PS2 had the games. Wii does not. Really there is only a small handful of "must have" games from last gen that did not appear on the PS2. This gen, most of the "must haves" still haven't found their way to the Wii.

Around the Network
Sky Render said:
Are people still turning to Metacritic? I mean, it is a nice idea, but quite frankly, it has zero correlation with how well a game sells or how popular it actually is. The scope and weighting of the reviews is entirely off-kilter, and the sample group is not representative of the gaming public at all, but rather of a distinct few anti-mainstream splinter groups.

Yeah, I think so too. A big bunch of kids is much better way to measure quality. After all, they are the mainstream gamers.

You elitists, can't you see that mario&sonic at the olympics is much better than TP,paper mario,RE4:wii edition and metroid prime. Not to mention really sucky games like boomblox,fire emblem,zack&wiki,no more heroes and the blob. Halo 3 is also better than SMG.

Your reducto-ad-absurdium statement only shows how poorly you grasp what a "gamer" is, you realize. Gamers are not just children, nor are they just the current archetype mislabeled as "hardcore", nor are they just the current archetype mislabeled as "casual". Gamers are everybody who plays video games, regardless of reasons, intent, dedication, age, gender, skin color, financial status, or any other demographic marker.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

@Esa-Petteri In that the consumers who bought those games saw a better value than the other games then yes.

"mario&sonic at the olympics is much better than TP,paper mario,RE4:wii edition and metroid prime. Not to mention really sucky games like boomblox,fire emblem,zack&wiki,no more heroes and the blob. Halo 3 is also better than SMG."

that's pretty much true except that the SMG is relatively equal to Halo 3 as they are close in sales

"Pier was a chef, a gifted and respected chef who made millions selling his dishes to the residents of New York City and Boston, he even had a famous jingle playing in those cities that everyone knew by heart. He also had a restaurant in Los Angeles, but not expecting LA to have such a massive population he only used his name on that restaurant and left it to his least capable and cheapest chefs. While his New York restaurant sold kobe beef for $100 and his Boston restaurant sold lobster for $50, his LA restaurant sold cheap hotdogs for $30. Initially these hot dogs sold fairly well because residents of los angeles were starving for good food and hoped that the famous name would denote a high quality, but most were disappointed with what they ate. Seeing the success of his cheap hot dogs in LA, Pier thought "why bother giving Los Angeles quality meats when I can oversell them on cheap hotdogs forever, and since I don't care about the product anyways, why bother advertising them? So Pier continued to only sell cheap hotdogs in LA and was surprised to see that they no longer sold. Pier's conclusion? Residents of Los Angeles don't like food."

"The so-called "hardcore" gamer is a marketing brainwashed, innovation shunting, self-righteous idiot who pays videogame makers far too much money than what is delivered."

@Sky Render

Majority of the gamers are kids. Where did I say that all of them are? Why do you rant about casual/hardcore?

actually the average video gamer is around thirty. and the majority are over 18

"Pier was a chef, a gifted and respected chef who made millions selling his dishes to the residents of New York City and Boston, he even had a famous jingle playing in those cities that everyone knew by heart. He also had a restaurant in Los Angeles, but not expecting LA to have such a massive population he only used his name on that restaurant and left it to his least capable and cheapest chefs. While his New York restaurant sold kobe beef for $100 and his Boston restaurant sold lobster for $50, his LA restaurant sold cheap hotdogs for $30. Initially these hot dogs sold fairly well because residents of los angeles were starving for good food and hoped that the famous name would denote a high quality, but most were disappointed with what they ate. Seeing the success of his cheap hot dogs in LA, Pier thought "why bother giving Los Angeles quality meats when I can oversell them on cheap hotdogs forever, and since I don't care about the product anyways, why bother advertising them? So Pier continued to only sell cheap hotdogs in LA and was surprised to see that they no longer sold. Pier's conclusion? Residents of Los Angeles don't like food."

"The so-called "hardcore" gamer is a marketing brainwashed, innovation shunting, self-righteous idiot who pays videogame makers far too much money than what is delivered."