By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Does the Wii compare to the PS2?

Gaming wise, the wii is far behind the PS3, and XBOX 360, and those two with there combined libraries are miles behind the PS2.

mM
Around the Network
FPSrules said:
idk i won't start comparing the wii to the ps2, the wii doesn't have nearly the deaph of game library the ps2 had, and that can become a major factor down the road.

when ppl get the wii theyre like yes, but 3rd party support on the wii sucks, and most of nintendo's recent games suck ass like wii music, and mario sluggers, lets not forget they don't make games to satisfy hardcore gamers, for a system to do like the ps2 did, it needs to sastify all kinds of consumers, causual, hardcore, etc

When you consider that the PS2 was initially launched 6 months earlier in Japan than in the rest of the world, was widely expected to be the dominant console and it wasn't until it's third Christmas (2002) before it really started to dominate in terms of high quality third party support, the Wii doesn't look to be doing that poorly.

FPSrules said:
idk i won't start comparing the wii to the ps2, the wii doesn't have nearly the deaph of game library the ps2 had(1), and that can become a major factor down the road.

when ppl get the wii theyre like yes, but 3rd party support on the wii sucks (2), and most of nintendo's recent games suck ass like wii music, and mario sluggers(3), lets not forget they don't make games to satisfy hardcore gamers(4), for a system to do like the ps2 did, it needs to sastify all kinds of consumers, causual, hardcore, etc

1. Time the Wii has been on the market: 2 years
Time the PS2 has been on the market: 7 years
2.The Conduit, Dead Rising, HotD, Sonic Unleashed, Mad World, Zak and Wiki, No More Heroes, Guitar Hero IV/Rock Band 2, and countless other quality third party titles say "Hello" and proceed to smack you across the face.
3. I bet you never played Wii Music. I guess Kirby isn't awesome anymore either. Or Wario Land. Or Animal Crossing. Or Mario Kart D: 
4. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Mario Galaxy, and Metroid Prime 3 say "Hello" as well.

And, I'm gonna take a guess here. Based on your SN, I bet you think Halo or Call of Duty is the best FPS ever.

IMO

PS2 >>> Wii.

4 ≈ One

How about we wait until both have stopped selling and then make comparisons?

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

Around the Network

The Wii is even selling faster than the DS if you align launches. It will outsell the PS2 and the DS. Right around that time is when everybody will shut up and realize the Wii has 829075901785901875 games and the most diverse exclusive library of all time.

Wii better compares to NES in most ways.

If you want to compare PS2 and Wii in terms of "greatness," as in, importance, then Wii will win. It is doing more to reinvent the market and draw in new customers, and it will probably outsell PS2, which makes it more important.

In terms of "quality software," which is subjective, so far Wii might be able to match PS2 for top 3 or 5 games, but not for top 25 or 50. I'm not convinced Wii will ever have the third party support of PS2, as it may take new companies rising up to fill the void left by current third parties' ability to make compelling Wii games.

No console will ever be considered to be the "best" by a particularly wide group of people. Right now, it seems most people say either SNES or PS2, depending on when they grew up and what types of games they like, but NES and PS1 were obviously the far more important consoles that SNES and PS2 built upon with upgraded versions of the same types of games.

I think it terms of which consoles are most "great" (important), it is pretty cut and dry: 2600, NES, Game Boy, PS1, DS and Wii.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Erik Aston said:
Right now, it seems most people say either SNES or PS2, depending on when they grew up and what types of games they 

Youngsters all of ya!

Wii is nothing like ps2. Even if it would sell more than ps2, it won't have the same amount of quality titles. Wii is now on its third year and just by taking a look at the situation of third party games on wii, it is pretty clear that it won't ever have the support ps2 had.

The Ghost of RubangB said:
The Wii is even selling faster than the DS if you align launches. It will outsell the PS2 and the DS. Right around that time is when everybody will shut up and realize the Wii has 829075901785901875 games and the most diverse exclusive library of all time.

I cannot believe it's outpacing the DS.  That's incredible!

When the third parties finally pull their heads out of the ground, yes, the Wii will have the most diverse library evah (probably)!

Okami

To lavish praise upon this title, the assumption of a common plateau between player and game must be made.  I won't open my unworthy mouth.

Christian (+50).  Arminian(+20). AG adherent(+20). YEC(+20). Pre-tribulation Pre-milleniumist (+10).  Republican (+15) Capitalist (+15).  Pro-Nintendo (+5).  Misc. stances (+30).  TOTAL SCORE: 195
  http://quizfarm.com/test.php?q_id=43870 <---- Fun theology quiz