By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How well will Gran Turismo 5 do?

Max King of the Wild said:
MANUELF said:
Max King of the Wild said:
MANUELF said:
8 millions if get bundled, unbundled 7 million

I don't think any game but motorstorm.... scratch that

I don't think ANY game was bundled with 2 million units.... scratch that.

I don't think ANY ps3 game has been bundled with 2 million consoles.

GT3 in America on the PS2, you only need to see the huge difference between it and the others GT and no PS3 bundled can sell that much

holy shit they bundled GT3 in with Ps3's? I wonder why the system isnt flying off the shelf with that.

Looks like you're very literal, Ok I will change that

Around the Network

sales first week over 3 million. lifetime sales of this game over 8 million.
The question is when is this game going to appear on PS3? 2010?

Has any game on the PS3 sold over a million first week besides MGS4?

Passenger57 said:

GTA4

Passenger57 said:

Grand Theft Auto IV has done that, hasn't it?

Around the Network

Just curious when is this game coming out?

"I envy you. You North Americans are very lucky. You are fighting the most important fight of all- you live in the heart of the beast." 

Ernesto "Che" Guevara.

HeroeDeLeyenda said:
Just curious when is this game coming out?

lol aren't we all!

Anyway, PD laughed and said "sooner than we think" when asked about a 2010 release for GT5

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Okay, this is going slightly off topic, but it is relevant still.

A lot of people seem to think that the Ps2's big sellers will sell a lot less on the Ps3. It is logical to believe this, as the Ps2 had a far higher userbase than the Ps3 is likely to ever get.

Still, if you go back and look at some of the Ps2's biggest games, they sold much of it before the Ps2 even breached 50 million. A few examples of this is GT3 (10-12 million at least), GTA 3 (~ 10M), Final Fantasy X (~ 7M) MGS 2 (~5M).

So if you look at it, almost all the Ps2's other super sellers were sequels to these franchises. In fact, the only other 5M + sellers than weren't sequels, were NFS Underground 1 & 2.

So, how does this really make sense? Well, it is simple. Competition. On Ps2, a hell of a lot of games sold in the 3M range. That's not going to happen with the Ps3. If you look at it, the only great selling Ps2 games were the ones that were some of the best in the genre, and had an earlier installment come out early.

So apart from those titles (GTA, GT and FF), almost no other Ps2 titles managed to stand out from the huge competition, and sell a lot more than those.

So, competition is important. Looking at only installbase doesn't work.

If there's 1 thing we are seeing this gen, it is that we are seeing less high quality games. There are far less top notch games on all consoles. This means that the top notch games are seeing far, far less competition than they would have in the 6th gen, and that makes them sell far better.

Look at it.

For 5M + sellers, Wii looks like it will beat Ps2. Ps2 has 12 of them, Wii already has 9 out that are bound to make it (8 that have).

For 10M + sellers, Ps2 has 4. By the end of the year, Wii will have 3 non-bundled ones, and 2 more that are out have a change of passing it.

For highest sellers, Wii is going to fly past, with Wii Fit beating GTA:SA, MKWii beating GT3, and Wii Play beating Vice City.

Still, the Wii is on track to selling pretty much exactly as much software as Ps2 was. It is just that Wii has far less competition, so its top sellers take off.

GC vs Ps3.

Gamecube had 6 games over 3M, Ps3 already has that.

GC had 3 games over 6M, Ps3 already has that.

Ps3's top sellers will fly by the GC's top 3.

I don't think I even need to do X360 vs XB...

So, it is logical to assume that Gamecube and Xbox titles will sell far more this gen that their previous installments did, and that Ps2 titles will sell about the same.

Do you agree with this, or am I incorrect?

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

atma998 said:
Ok let's use logic here...

GT4 did 10 millions on a userbase of 125 millions PS2. Why a GT5 on a 20-30 millions userbase would do better?

GT3 did about 14 millions on a smaller userbase right but also on the most popular console of its time. So the userbase increased very quickly as GT3 sales.

Now PS3 is a far different story. It's the less popular console of its time. Plus GT5 have solid competition this gen in the name of Motorstorm. Also no game on PS3 is close to 10 millions even GTAIV which is considered by many as 'the game of the gen'.

conclusion : GT5 will do around 4 millions LTD Worldwide.

1) Yes, GT3 sold much better, because it was a better game. GT5 will probably be best in series

2) GT5 won't sell consoles? I say the PS3 will beat Wii WW that week. If MGS4 can do it, why not the best selling exclusive on both the PS1 and PS2?

3) Did you just say MotorStorm was competition for Gran Turismo 5? LOL! Pretty good offroad racer versus the most realistic driving sim ever made, the best selling racing series ever made, the highest rated racing series of all time. Tough contest.

4) People consider GTA4 game of the gen? News to me. Find three of these people. Please note I mean PEOPLE, not REVIEWERS. And how many games are bought by reviewers, compared to the general public?

5) If you add the PS3 and 360 versions of GTA4 together, you get 11 million copies. Obviously the PS3 version of a multiplat won't sell as well as an exclusive- note that San Andreas was a timed exclusive, and therefore exclusive for a full year.

6) 4 million? I'll admit that these predictions of 15 million are a little over the top, but I predict 8-12 million WW LTD.

EDIT: It's worth noting that, excluding PSN downloads, GT5 Prologue has sold 2.23 million copies. And it's basically a demo. GT4 Prologue sold 1.36 million and GT4 went on to sell 9.51 million copies. So I say 10 million isn't that unlikely.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Kantor said:
atma998 said:
Ok let's use logic here...

GT4 did 10 millions on a userbase of 125 millions PS2. Why a GT5 on a 20-30 millions userbase would do better?

GT3 did about 14 millions on a smaller userbase right but also on the most popular console of its time. So the userbase increased very quickly as GT3 sales.

Now PS3 is a far different story. It's the less popular console of its time. Plus GT5 have solid competition this gen in the name of Motorstorm. Also no game on PS3 is close to 10 millions even GTAIV which is considered by many as 'the game of the gen'.

conclusion : GT5 will do around 4 millions LTD Worldwide.

1) Yes, GT3 sold much better, because it was a better game. GT5 will probably be best in series

2) GT5 won't sell consoles? I say the PS3 will beat Wii WW that week. If MGS4 can do it, why not the best selling exclusive on both the PS1 and PS2?

3) Did you just say MotorStorm was competition for Gran Turismo 5? LOL! Pretty good offroad racer versus the most realistic driving sim ever made, the best selling racing series ever made, the highest rated racing series of all time. Tough contest.

What, Gran Turismo uses damage models now?