By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So...being realistic...XBOX360 made Ps3 flop this year

Pristine20 said:
BengaBenga said:
Pristine20 said:

I don't think 360 owners necessarily buy shitloads of software. Halo sold millions on the unpopular xbox as well. I think the problem with ps3 selling software is the highly varied nature of its userbase relative to the other consoles. This is why it's hard to get multi-million dollar sales with any single game on ps3. I explain in the OP of this thread:

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=47472

Well, 360 does sell enormous amounts across the board, something both Wii and PS3 can't say.

Some million sellers: Halo, GTA 4, CoD4, Forza, Gears, Assassins Creed, GH3, Oblivion,  Mass Effect, Fable, Saints Row, Fight Night, Dead Rising, Pro Evo, etc, etc, etc.

Pretty varied imo. Sure, a lot of shooters but certainly not exclusively. There are some games that underperformed on 360, but not a whole lot.

Many of those other games became "million sellers" after their prices dropped. There are not that many games on the ps3 that don't cost $60. Even Eternal sonata thats older than my grandma released at $60. Notice I also said heavily "westernized games" not just shooters. This would include western RPGs like Fable and Mass Effect and heavily western infuenced games like GTA.

PS always stood above the rest due to it's JP support but it almost semms like the whole JP gaming industry fell  right along with sony.

You might be on to something here...
Still Japanese support is quickly switching to Wii. SE is the only major player staying behind. I do think PS3's "failure" is very tough on the Japanese developers, they now have to create that market on Wii. Sometimes successful (Fatal Frame 4), sometimes not (Tenchu 4).

360 though has lots of SE games and is relatively successful with that. JRPG gamers will definitely buy a 360, depriving PS3 of an important core PS2 usergroup.
And remember, the prices drop because the games have already made their money.

I can't really understand why the difference in software sales between PS3 and 360 is so big. I can only explain it by assuming the most hardcore gamers prefer 360.

Around the Network

You dont get it, the ps3 is US$400+ the xbox is US$200-, even if someone wants a ps3 is not very posible to he would buy it, also ps3 games are US$60+ and xbox are, well pirated, yes that is one mayor selling incentive for the 360, piracy.

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection

radha said:
You dont get it, the ps3 is US$400+ the xbox is US$200-, even if someone wants a ps3 is not very posible to he would buy it, also ps3 games are US$60+ and xbox are, well pirated, yes that is one mayor selling incentive for the 360, piracy.

Errr, no.

Look at sales numbers. Particularly software.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@ Benga, Capcom has done reasonably well IIRC and I would say the reason why the big spenders are on the 360 is because they are the group which demands the greatest number of releases and they are some of the most likely groups to jump ship to the first console of any generation.

Tease.

radha said:

I don't understand your post about 360 piracy... could you explain ?

Sony is 100 % responsible for loosing the first place. Microsoft did nothing special, just doing well, and pushing hard on services and online content. Even with the RROD, they manage to do well. That is all.

Regarding the software sales differences, it could also be explained by the fact that early adopters bought the PS3 as a Blue-Ray plateform maybe ?

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

I blame Sony for allowing the 360 and Wii to take the lead. One cannot blame others for ones own mistakes to put it bluntly.

Bad advertising, delays upon delays, not living up to expectations yet bragging a lot, introducing new IP's before much awaited sequels, having the sixaxis but totally ignoring the feature or capitalising on it and hiring idiots to speak on behalf of the company.

I think that sums it up pretty well :p

Around the Network

I don't think you're being realistic - at least in choice of words.

PS3 spent fist half or more of year catching up on 360.

360 grew too but not enough to be exciting and was essentially being outsold WW despite having same games plus more exclusives and lower price

MS responded in the only way they could and dropped price (as until then I'd argue Sony was hurting MS more than the other way around)

360 has pulled some ground back but I think YTD PS3 has still improved more than 360 - and until we get to January/February we won't know how 2008 in full played out.

So I don't agree 360 made PS3 flop yet although MS have made the right moves to fight back.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

360 hasnt made the ps3 flop, ps3 sales are still good but 360s are better.

Afterman said:

OK...I am new to this site (in terms of posts), but I ve been reading it for quite a long time. Despite that, I accept all kinds of critics.

So during this year (since I bought my PS3, January 2008) I have been reading that 2008 was going to be PS3 year, beacuse of all the new games, home, network, etc. We PS3 fans were waiting for 2 things:

1. Great games for our platform.

2. That this great games would spike sales a lot and outsell XBOX360 and get at least in 2nd place.

But what happened REALLY?

1. We have right now MGS4, Resistance 2, Little Big Planet, Bioshock and more. Great games, I mean, great games. Also Ratchet And Clanck, GTA4, Wipeout HD.

2. Did not happen. I mean, the gap between the PS3 and the XBOX360 is getting bigger and bigger. So, why should this be different in 2009? I mean, lets compare:

We have a big title for the PS3...Resistance 2...everyone is waiting for it (almost)...big install base...and only sells 300.000. On the other side FABLE and GEARS are monsters , I mean....monsters...The only reasonable explanation is that the 360 is really the hardcore console.

But...we PS3 fans say: Heyyyy.-....do you know GOD OF WAR 3? GRAN TURISMO? WHITE KNIGHT CHRONICLES? Hellooooo,.,.... KILLZONE 2? Well...I think that they are huge games...and if they were on 360, they would sell millions and millions...and more millions...but they are on PS3...and only Gran turismo is going to be a Gears of war like or a Halo game, in terms of sales. Maybe Killzone is going to be a great seller also, but nothing like GEARS 2 or HALO 3.

Why the hell does XBOX360 users buy so much software?

So....i think that for this generation...Microsoft is closer for a win than SONY. ( HD gaming).

We still need to see the pricecut for the PS3.

Finally...someone gets the point.

Afterman said:

OK...I am new to this site (in terms of posts), but I ve been reading it for quite a long time. Despite that, I accept all kinds of critics.

So during this year (since I bought my PS3, January 2008) I have been reading that 2008 was going to be PS3 year, beacuse of all the new games, home, network, etc. We PS3 fans were waiting for 2 things:

1. Great games for our platform.

2. That this great games would spike sales a lot and outsell XBOX360 and get at least in 2nd place.

But what happened REALLY?

1. We have right now MGS4, Resistance 2, Little Big Planet, Bioshock and more. Great games, I mean, great games. Also Ratchet And Clanck, GTA4, Wipeout HD.

2. Did not happen. I mean, the gap between the PS3 and the XBOX360 is getting bigger and bigger. So, why should this be different in 2009? I mean, lets compare:

We have a big title for the PS3...Resistance 2...everyone is waiting for it (almost)...big install base...and only sells 300.000. On the other side FABLE and GEARS are monsters , I mean....monsters...The only reasonable explanation is that the 360 is really the hardcore console.

But...we PS3 fans say: Heyyyy.-....do you know GOD OF WAR 3? GRAN TURISMO? WHITE KNIGHT CHRONICLES? Hellooooo,.,.... KILLZONE 2? Well...I think that they are huge games...and if they were on 360, they would sell millions and millions...and more millions...but they are on PS3...and only Gran turismo is going to be a Gears of war like or a Halo game, in terms of sales. Maybe Killzone is going to be a great seller also, but nothing like GEARS 2 or HALO 3.

Why the hell does XBOX360 users buy so much software?

So....i think that for this generation...Microsoft is closer for a win than SONY. ( HD gaming).

We still need to see the pricecut for the PS3.

Finally...someone gets the point.

BengaBenga said:
Pristine20 said:
BengaBenga said:
Pristine20 said:

I don't think 360 owners necessarily buy shitloads of software. Halo sold millions on the unpopular xbox as well. I think the problem with ps3 selling software is the highly varied nature of its userbase relative to the other consoles. This is why it's hard to get multi-million dollar sales with any single game on ps3. I explain in the OP of this thread:

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=47472

Well, 360 does sell enormous amounts across the board, something both Wii and PS3 can't say.

Some million sellers: Halo, GTA 4, CoD4, Forza, Gears, Assassins Creed, GH3, Oblivion,  Mass Effect, Fable, Saints Row, Fight Night, Dead Rising, Pro Evo, etc, etc, etc.

Pretty varied imo. Sure, a lot of shooters but certainly not exclusively. There are some games that underperformed on 360, but not a whole lot.

Many of those other games became "million sellers" after their prices dropped. There are not that many games on the ps3 that don't cost $60. Even Eternal sonata thats older than my grandma released at $60. Notice I also said heavily "westernized games" not just shooters. This would include western RPGs like Fable and Mass Effect and heavily western infuenced games like GTA.

PS always stood above the rest due to it's JP support but it almost semms like the whole JP gaming industry fell  right along with sony.

You might be on to something here...
Still Japanese support is quickly switching to Wii. SE is the only major player staying behind. I do think PS3's "failure" is very tough on the Japanese developers, they now have to create that market on Wii. Sometimes successful (Fatal Frame 4), sometimes not (Tenchu 4).

360 though has lots of SE games and is relatively successful with that. JRPG gamers will definitely buy a 360, depriving PS3 of an important core PS2 usergroup.
And remember, the prices drop because the games have already made their money.

I can't really understand why the difference in software sales between PS3 and 360 is so big. I can only explain it by assuming the most hardcore gamers prefer 360.

PSP (recently) and DS is where the majority of Japanese development has been shifting.  In the West as evidenced by this site, people still view home consoles as primary and handhelds as secondary.  In Japan, it's the opposite as evidenced by sales.  You have to live here to really realize it.

People can mock me all they want, but PSP is taking alot of potential development of third party Wii titles in Japan.  Especially new IPs - because to put it bluntly, most Wii owners are not looking for new third party IPs in Japan - casual or hardcore. 

OT:  Microsoft's mission was solely based around the failure of Sony.  Before this gen started, they still thought of Nintendo as a joke / eventual buy-out (do your research, you will see it's true).  They are doing a good job of stealing Sony's thunder.  As a gamer, I prefer Sony's strategy of focusing on making quality titles from it's first/second party.  For now, MS's focus on third party is good, but it would be a good idea for them to balance it with 1st/2nd party if someone steals their third party support.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.