By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So...being realistic...XBOX360 made Ps3 flop this year

Skeeuk said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:

You would have to be an idiot to think that the Ps3 would pass the 360 in 2008. You would have to believe that the Ps3 would outsell the 360 by over 7M. That's 134K a week.

As no rational person would believe the 360 would sell less than a 9-10M this year, it would mean he would expect the Ps3 to sell a ~ 17M this year, which is what some people expected the Wii to sell (the ones who didn't expect the Wii to get increased production from 1.4M/month).

I am also kinda offended that you use the word "we" so much, to describe Ps3 owners. The people who expected what you say are in minority on the site, and the ones who didn't expect it surely won't like being piled in with the morons.

I agree that the Ps3 has failed this generation, and that the 360 has done some superb things. Still, we all know this, and it isn't a new thing that came in 2008. In fact, 2008 made the Ps3's future look far less crappy in terms of unit sales.

how is ps3 future looked crappy because of 2008, 2008 has been a great year for sales and games. ps3 has had brilliant games this year so i dont know what ur talking about.

only reason why 360 sales have bumped last 2 months is because they had no choice to cut thier price, even at a much lower price anyway in the 1st place ps3 was selling more weekly sometimes 50k more.

imo at the current price point the ps3 is its doing very well, had 360 been the same price point as ps3 is now,  i doubt it vry much that 360 would sell at all.

i belive ps3 will get through nicly with its price point during the xmas period, and surely when 2009 price cuts happen on ps3 the sales will highly rocket.

You misread what I said. In fact, 2008 made the Ps3's future look far less crappy in terms of unit sales.

It still isn't looking good for the Ps3, but it no longer looks like it is simply a moneyhole, with nothing good comming out of it.

It may be doing well for its price, but that doesn't help. Sony loses more money pr Ps3 sold than Microsoft does pr X360 sold. 

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Around the Network
Fei-Hung said:
The gap is not getting bigger, in fact it was getting smaller until MS dropped their price. PS3 is still too pricy in a world where recession has hit many homes and this has made the 360 more accessible to gamers. Neither console is going anywhere fast. 360 was selling better, then the ps3 was selling better and now the 360 is selling better - both are selling well.

games -
1) well the larger the install base, the more they will sell.
2) LBP is a Niche game unlike Gears and Halo
3) Unlike Resistance; Halo and Fable have a huge fan base from the previous gen.
4) Resistance may have been good when it came out, but not many casual gamers were happy since the graphics were naff compared to Gears. So now they doubt the new r2 will be worth buying.
5) Sony hyped a lot of games (heavenly sword, haze, lair to name a few), but reviews as well as some of the hype. So now many gamers doubt if Sony games are really what they are hyped to be. Unlike the 360, most games apart from too human did live up to the hype.
6) Sony marketing has been shite compared to 360 marketing.

Where you make a mistake is thinking they have won the war. many people do not realise how well the PS3 is selling with its current price compared to the 360 who should be killing the PS3 with the price differential. The question remains, what will happen when and if the PS3 drops by another $100's and becomes more affordable?

Sony have also failed to release any games that have a big fan base. Games such as; GT, Jak and Daxter, Dance mat games, a new PS3 Wipeout, GoW3, Onimusha and twisted metal.

Those games that could have made a difference; GTA, Devil May Cry, FF, tekken and maybe some more have now gone multi platform. meaning, if you are a gamer who can't afford a PS3, you need not worry, a cheaper console is out there who can play the same game!

ye i would agree on that, its been mainly new ip`s so far which is a good thing because games have to start out somewhere.

and its certainly correct games that already have a solid fanbase, like on 360 ie fable  and halo  they will do very very well

and theres no doubt ps3 versions of previous exclusive games will return to huge receptions

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Oyvoyvoyv said:
Skeeuk said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:

You would have to be an idiot to think that the Ps3 would pass the 360 in 2008. You would have to believe that the Ps3 would outsell the 360 by over 7M. That's 134K a week.

As no rational person would believe the 360 would sell less than a 9-10M this year, it would mean he would expect the Ps3 to sell a ~ 17M this year, which is what some people expected the Wii to sell (the ones who didn't expect the Wii to get increased production from 1.4M/month).

I am also kinda offended that you use the word "we" so much, to describe Ps3 owners. The people who expected what you say are in minority on the site, and the ones who didn't expect it surely won't like being piled in with the morons.

I agree that the Ps3 has failed this generation, and that the 360 has done some superb things. Still, we all know this, and it isn't a new thing that came in 2008. In fact, 2008 made the Ps3's future look far less crappy in terms of unit sales.

how is ps3 future looked crappy because of 2008, 2008 has been a great year for sales and games. ps3 has had brilliant games this year so i dont know what ur talking about.

only reason why 360 sales have bumped last 2 months is because they had no choice to cut thier price, even at a much lower price anyway in the 1st place ps3 was selling more weekly sometimes 50k more.

imo at the current price point the ps3 is its doing very well, had 360 been the same price point as ps3 is now,  i doubt it vry much that 360 would sell at all.

i belive ps3 will get through nicly with its price point during the xmas period, and surely when 2009 price cuts happen on ps3 the sales will highly rocket.

You misread what I said. In fact, 2008 made the Ps3's future look far less crappy in terms of unit sales.

It still isn't looking good for the Ps3, but it no longer looks like it is simply a moneyhole, with nothing good comming out of it.

It may be doing well for its price, but that doesn't help. Sony loses more money pr Ps3 sold than Microsoft does pr X360 sold. 

sorry about misunderstanding:)

but i cant understand how u can say its still not looking good for the ps3, i mean whats not looking good for it, its had great games all year round, in fact once december is over im going to make an exclusive games thread sales total on both platforms. to see how close ps3 has done in sales with its exclusives for the year.

its true sony looses on every console, but now surely microsoft looses on every console also, mabey not as much though

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

I don't think 360 owners necessarily buy shitloads of software. Halo sold millions on the unpopular xbox as well. I think the problem with ps3 selling software is the highly varied nature of its userbase relative to the other consoles. This is why it's hard to get multi-million dollar sales with any single game on ps3. I explain in the OP of this thread:

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=47472

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Afterman said:

OK...I am new to this site (in terms of posts), but I ve been reading it for quite a long time. Despite that, I accept all kinds of critics.

So during this year (since I bought my PS3, January 2008) I have been reading that 2008 was going to be PS3 year, beacuse of all the new games, home, network, etc. We PS3 fans were waiting for 2 things:

1. Great games for our platform.

2. That this great games would spike sales a lot and outsell XBOX360 and get at least in 2nd place.

==>  u were just too much optimistic

hoping for unrealistic event, u get disapointement

Time to Work !

Around the Network
Pristine20 said:

I don't think 360 owners necessarily buy shitloads of software. Halo sold millions on the unpopular xbox as well. I think the problem with ps3 selling software is the highly varied nature of its userbase relative to the other consoles. This is why it's hard to get multi-million dollar sales with any single game on ps3. I explain in the OP of this thread:

Well, 360 does sell enormous amounts across the board, something both Wii and PS3 can't say.

Some million sellers: Halo, GTA 4, CoD4, Forza, Gears, Assassins Creed, GH3, Oblivion,  Mass Effect, Fable, Saints Row, Fight Night, Dead Rising, Pro Evo, etc, etc, etc.

Pretty varied imo. Sure, a lot of shooters but certainly not exclusively. There are some games that underperformed on 360, but not a whole lot.

Afterman said:

OK...I am new to this site (in terms of posts), but I ve been reading it for quite a long time. Despite that, I accept all kinds of critics.

So during this year (since I bought my PS3, January 2008) I have been reading that 2008 was going to be PS3 year, beacuse of all the new games, home, network, etc. We PS3 fans were waiting for 2 things:

1. Great games for our platform.

2. That this great games would spike sales a lot and outsell XBOX360 and get at least in 2nd place.

But what happened REALLY?

1. We have right now MGS4, Resistance 2, Little Big Planet, Bioshock and more. Great games, I mean, great games. Also Ratchet And Clanck, GTA4, Wipeout HD.

2. Did not happen. I mean, the gap between the PS3 and the XBOX360 is getting bigger and bigger. So, why should this be different in 2009? I mean, lets compare:

We have a big title for the PS3...Resistance 2...everyone is waiting for it (almost)...big install base...and only sells 300.000. On the other side FABLE and GEARS are monsters , I mean....monsters...The only reasonable explanation is that the 360 is really the hardcore console.

But...we PS3 fans say: Heyyyy.-....do you know GOD OF WAR 3? GRAN TURISMO? WHITE KNIGHT CHRONICLES? Hellooooo,.,.... KILLZONE 2? Well...I think that they are huge games...and if they were on 360, they would sell millions and millions...and more millions...but they are on PS3...and only Gran turismo is going to be a Gears of war like or a Halo game, in terms of sales. Maybe Killzone is going to be a great seller also, but nothing like GEARS 2 or HALO 3.

Why the hell does XBOX360 users buy so much software?

So....i think that for this generation...Microsoft is closer for a win than SONY. ( HD gaming).

We still need to see the pricecut for the PS3.

I think the biggest factor hurting the ps3 is the global economy. Nobody could have predicted that it'll get this bad thats why the ps3 outlook looks grimmer than before. This is why sony is in a huge mess. The company isn't doing well as a whole so they can't loss-lead. Consumers aren't doing well either so they can't make a $400 commitment. Regardless of 2nd or 3rd place, PS would always be around . Why? even though the 360 may sell more software, it's lead still isn't high enough to even come close to justifying a 3rd party 360 exclusive that isn't moneyhatted so no console can pull a ps2 this gen.

Therefore, regardless of the 360's performance, you're going to be able to play >90% of the games you want which is what really matters at the end.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

BengaBenga said:
Pristine20 said:

Well, 360 does sell enormous amounts across the board, something both Wii and PS3 can't say.

Some million sellers: Halo, GTA 4, CoD4, Forza, Gears, Assassins Creed, GH3, Oblivion,  Mass Effect, Fable, Saints Row, Fight Night, Dead Rising, Pro Evo, etc, etc, etc.

Pretty varied imo. Sure, a lot of shooters but certainly not exclusively. There are some games that underperformed on 360, but not a whole lot.

Many of those other games became "million sellers" after their prices dropped. There are not that many games on the ps3 that don't cost $60. Even Eternal sonata thats older than my grandma released at $60. Notice I also said heavily "westernized games" not just shooters. This would include western RPGs like Fable and Mass Effect and heavily western infuenced games like GTA.

PS always stood above the rest due to it's JP support but it almost semms like the whole JP gaming industry fell  right along with sony.

The gap between PS3 and 360 has been getting bigger the last few weeks; however, when the year started the 360 had a lead of 7 million consoles and that is now down to 5.6 million. The 360's lead had been cut even smaller for most of the year, but price cuts and some key game releases as of late have helped the 360 to once again gain some momentum and push its lead out to about what it was at the PS3's release.

However, with much better and more hyped games coming to the PS3 during the first six months of 2009, the PS3 will once again cut into the 360's lead even without price cuts. If 2009 follows the way things went in 2008, then the PS3 should cut the 360's lead to 4.1 million consoles by November 2009 without PS3 price cuts.

My most anticipated games:  Whatever Hideo Kojima is going to do next, Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Gran Turismo 5, Alan Wake, Wii Sports Resort.  Cave Story Wiiware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqqLMgbtrB8

Gears of War was a new I.P and it sold millions 1st/2nd and will sell millions more third time around.

Fable had a previous version, but its not like the precedent hadn't been set with Mass Effect and Oblivion. You can tell that the 360 has a greater proportion of RPG fans by the fact that the 360 leads the PS3 in Europe with Fallout 3 despite the smaller userbase.

The issue for the PS3 is not the small gap now, its the trend which won't be arrested for at least another quarter, so you could say we haven't yet seen the peak lead for the 360 over the PS3 yet.

Tease.