By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So...being realistic...XBOX360 made Ps3 flop this year

kunaixhaku said:
i still think what pachter predicted will come true, cuz i thought the same way, ps3 will look like its losing the first couple of years while wii is ahead and 360 stays in between and slowly slowly ps3 will equal 360, then wii then overtake the console war, despite this they will win by only a couple of percent marketshare, different than the ps2 era where they dominated.

lol, is it lonely up there in crazzyland? 

Sorry, that's too harsh, but really; no-one with half a brain actually believes PS3 will take over Wii. Definitely not Pachter.

Wii is selling more than PS3 and 360 combined. Another nice example: Wii will sell about as much in November+December as PS3 in the whole year.

Wii will have sold 52 million end of March 2009, a number PS3 probably won't make in its lifetime. I'm sorry, but Wii is 20 million ahead of PS3 in just two years. That means it would take PS3 two years to equel Wii sales if Wii stopped selling completely today. And it's still sold out in some places 2 years after launch! It didn't have a pricedrop yet! No different sku's, nothing. Just the same old Wii for the same price selling faster than even the PS2 did. And you expect the PS3 to catch that?

You can be positive, but this is completely not realistic. There's no scenario in which PS3 will catch Wii. 360, yes that's very much possible, but Wii is out of the question.

Around the Network
Skeeuk said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:

You would have to be an idiot to think that the Ps3 would pass the 360 in 2008. You would have to believe that the Ps3 would outsell the 360 by over 7M. That's 134K a week.

As no rational person would believe the 360 would sell less than a 9-10M this year, it would mean he would expect the Ps3 to sell a ~ 17M this year, which is what some people expected the Wii to sell (the ones who didn't expect the Wii to get increased production from 1.4M/month).

I am also kinda offended that you use the word "we" so much, to describe Ps3 owners. The people who expected what you say are in minority on the site, and the ones who didn't expect it surely won't like being piled in with the morons.

I agree that the Ps3 has failed this generation, and that the 360 has done some superb things. Still, we all know this, and it isn't a new thing that came in 2008. In fact, 2008 made the Ps3's future look far less crappy in terms of unit sales.

how is ps3 future looked crappy because of 2008, 2008 has been a great year for sales and games. ps3 has had brilliant games this year so i dont know what ur talking about.

only reason why 360 sales have bumped last 2 months is because they had no choice to cut thier price, even at a much lower price anyway in the 1st place ps3 was selling more weekly sometimes 50k more.

imo at the current price point the ps3 is its doing very well, had 360 been the same price point as ps3 is now,  i doubt it vry much that 360 would sell at all.

i belive ps3 will get through nicly with its price point during the xmas period, and surely when 2009 price cuts happen on ps3 the sales will highly rocket.

Not entirely true is it. If you look at the numbers you see that it is actually the PS3 that has dropped the most. After MGS4 the 360 and PS3 were running pretty much neck and neck sales wise. MS could of stayed at the same price and stayed competative. Look at the sales from R2 and LBP. This years 2 giant PS3 games and they had no effect on sales. In fact this week last year sold more units then the PS3 this year. Where as MS knew they had a very strong holiday line up coming and by lowering the price will counter act the PS3 sales. This will be the last holiday the consoles get the big sales unit wise. MS played it smart. Next year the PS3 has nothing at all that will stimulate sales. People will say GT5 has the potential to but it has a lot of competition from games such as Forza 3 etc...

So really it is about strategy and right now Sony has been out played. Sony has no choice but to do a price drop or the numbers will keep on fading. Having the most expensive console for the 3rd holiday in a row will hurt Sony a lot.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Pristine20 said:
BengaBenga said:
Pristine20 said:

I don't think 360 owners necessarily buy shitloads of software. Halo sold millions on the unpopular xbox as well. I think the problem with ps3 selling software is the highly varied nature of its userbase relative to the other consoles. This is why it's hard to get multi-million dollar sales with any single game on ps3. I explain in the OP of this thread:

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=47472

Well, 360 does sell enormous amounts across the board, something both Wii and PS3 can't say.

Some million sellers: Halo, GTA 4, CoD4, Forza, Gears, Assassins Creed, GH3, Oblivion,  Mass Effect, Fable, Saints Row, Fight Night, Dead Rising, Pro Evo, etc, etc, etc.

Pretty varied imo. Sure, a lot of shooters but certainly not exclusively. There are some games that underperformed on 360, but not a whole lot.

Many of those other games became "million sellers" after their prices dropped. There are not that many games on the ps3 that don't cost $60. Even Eternal sonata thats older than my grandma released at $60. Notice I also said heavily "westernized games" not just shooters. This would include western RPGs like Fable and Mass Effect and heavily western infuenced games like GTA.

PS always stood above the rest due to it's JP support but it almost semms like the whole JP gaming industry fell  right along with sony.

The JP support went Nintendo.

So what are the big games the Japanese have released on wii? I don't pay much attention to the wii but I can't think of any except MH3 which hasn't been released.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

whats up guys, why do you care about sony so much. sony is screwed. they are offering you a worse console than microsoft for twice the price and you still buy this crap cause of the ps2 era... pff stupidity has no end.

...Hmm.
Well:
Xbox 360 ALL USERS use it for gaming.
It has bigger userbase (6 million is much)
PS3 users use it for Blu-ray and other stuff as well.Not all users use it for games.
PS3 users are buing all kind of games,they are not all FPS or RPG people.
PS3 users has too many games to play.
Xbox 360 has had Gears 2 and Fable 2 only if not counting some JPRG:S and multiplatforms.

Take my love, take my land..

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Squilliam said:
If the factor of people buying the PS3 just for Blu Ray is an issue for the PS3, then wouldn't every sale the 360 wins over the PS3 when both are in contention for the consumer be a greater loss for Sony as they would be infact losing their best customers, the ones which give them the most software royalties?

Good question. Also Sony really didn't think of the people and only thought about investors with that price. They obviously weren't paying attention to the purchasing level of their core buyers. Alot of former exclusive PS2 owners bought a 360, because the 360 feels more like a PS2 successor.

THIS is what i have been saying since the they the PS3 was released

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection

Kreshi said:
whats up guys, why do you care about sony so much. sony is screwed. they are offering you a worse console than microsoft for twice the price and you still buy this crap cause of the ps2 era... pff stupidity has no end.

So you joined just to insult other peoples' intelligence. My prediction: you won't last long on this site

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Squilliam said:
If the factor of people buying the PS3 just for Blu Ray is an issue for the PS3, then wouldn't every sale the 360 wins over the PS3 when both are in contention for the consumer be a greater loss for Sony as they would be infact losing their best customers, the ones which give them the most software royalties?

Good question. Also Sony really didn't think of the people and only thought about investors with that price. They obviously weren't paying attention to the purchasing level of their core buyers. Alot of former exclusive PS2 owners bought a 360, because the 360 feels more like a PS2 successor.

Its really a modification of the question I have put to Wii owners in the past. If they share a similar taste in games with other people with say PC/360s/PS3s on the forum then the market share which should be important to them is the market that shares a similar taste in games.

Its just that in this case, I know theres a core market which the 360 cannot steal from Sony. An unknown proportion of that is Blu-Ray centric. The parts they can steal are obviously people who apreciate both the consoles equally and therefore most likely they are game buyers rather than movie buffs.

Sony needs the game buyers much more than they need the movie buyers. They have a very heavy first party division which they need to feed and obviously people who buy few games are hardly going to help this situation. The first party developers which a lot of people praise are also a very large part of their losses these past quarters. If the games are coming out now and next year, they need to move a lot of copies simply to break even. Long development = expensive development.

Tease.

PS3 will never surpass X360 software-wise. Not even with a 10 million consoles sold lead, period.

Simulacrum said:
...Hmm.
Well:
Xbox 360 ALL USERS use it for gaming.
It has bigger userbase (6 million is much)
PS3 users use it for Blu-ray and other stuff as well.Not all users use it for games.
PS3 users are buing all kind of games,they are not all FPS or RPG people.
PS3 users has too many games to play.
Xbox 360 has had Gears 2 and Fable 2 only if not counting some JPRG:S and multiplatforms.

Actually the highest sales on the 360 was over  8 million with Halo 3. It could reach 10 million by the end of the year. But continue...this is interesting.